Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Hello this post is being made after having been asked to move it from the the Suggestions subforum and I apologize for this.
This is more of a request than a question.

Please implement justified alignment
This is a very simple fix and I think this should be implemented because all word editors have this and I consider Smogonforums to be pretty advanced among gaming forums. Implementing indents would be pretty nice too, since the Tab command doesn't work, sadly but I need to see this happen because it's starting to weigh on my eyes and I am beginning to lurk around the server more and more.

I have no idea what year we live in but this is a society.
We need our paragraphs to to look elegant. I mean it.
Do you see how hard I am trying to respect a length
of a line? I wish I could tell you all how taxing it is and
how frustrating it is for text to be just a jumbled up
mess of meaningless words with nonsense conveying
nothing but green ideas which sleep furiously. If you
aren't at all concerned then you should be, not for me,
but for the state of well-being of folks on this forum.

So please, Smogonites. You've shown me the beauty of
inter-medial formatting, that is, the beautiful harmony
between text and images and funny gifs with cute and
friendly pokemon in messages. You gave me Lavos' win-
post from 2019 where he showed GSC can be cool and
even talked about. Give us, the users and people those
very tools to make our writing look better. You know it,
that it's what we need-to-want-to-deserve-to-have........

Love
Cherryb0ng.

I am serious about this. Please do not lock this post without giving me a valid reason why this isn't being / cannot be implemented.

Because in general in strategy Smogon 6v6, it is always advisable to have odd HP so these are the numbers that end in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 as for exemple 341, 397, 443, 449 for the reasons there is TailGlowVM who gave them to you!
sometimes though you do want the opposite, that is, to have a stat that is divisible by 4 to reach certain percent thresholds like Substitute Salac berry Heracross in ADV wants to be able to get a salac berry activated after 3 subs without taking damage.

sometimes though you do want the opposite, that is, to have a stat that is divisible by 4 to reach certain percent thresholds like Substitute Salac berry Heracross in ADV wants to be able to get a salac berry activated after 3 subs without taking damage.
Yes, but these are quite special cases and in addition they explain why to put 30 HP IVs and not 31 HP IVs for Heracross in ADV

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
To reduce residual damage, primarily from Stealth Rock, but also stuff like sand, hail, and poison. You want an odd HP stat to do this.
This isn't really true, it's a common misconception that it is but this isn't how residual damage actually works. Odd HP doesn't necessarily matter. These numbers round down no matter what, so to maximise the effectiveness of Stealth Rock numbers you're gonna wanna do a little bit of math.

For example, take Noivern:
A Noivern with 252 HP EVs has 374 HP. 374 / 4 = 93.5, which rounds down to 93, so Noivern will take 93 HP of damage from Stealth Rock. The fourth hit will not KO it.
A Noivern with 248 HP EVs has 373 HP. 373 / 4 = 93.25, which rounds down to 93, so it still takes 93 HP of damage from Stealth Rock. The fourth hit will still not KO it.
In this case you'd be better off just going with max HP because it doesn't make a difference.

On the other hand you have something like Weavile:
Max HP Weavile has 344 HP, 344 / 4 = 86, so it takes 86 HP. Fourth switch-in KOs it.
248 HP Weavile has 343 HP, 343 / 4 = 85.75, so it takes 85 HP. Fourth switch-in doesn't KO it.

This applies even to stuff that resists/is neutral to rocks but it's obviously not really gonna make a realistic difference with something like Cobalion. There's an entire guide to this here if you wanna look more into it. Also gonna ping UrAverageHuman since they asked for this in the first place.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Excuse me, but i want to ask about the pokepaste feature, when i enter my pokemon copied from showdown and put in in the notes of pokepaste, it always ends up as (no or invalid paste), sorry if i can't ask this here but i really need help
The notes feature is really just for explaining certain aspects of the team, like "this EV spread does [x y z]". The actual paste goes in the big black box to the left of the name/description.

You can also upload your team directly from Pokemon Showdown with this button:

The notes feature is really just for explaining certain aspects of the team, like "this EV spread does [x y z]". The actual paste goes in the big black box to the left of the name/description.

You can also upload your team directly from Pokemon Showdown with this button:
I was wondering what that was for, thanks a lot for the help

Is there a thread for promotion ? Because I have a project of a team tour with friends on discord and I want to promote it, but I don't know where to do it or if it's even possible at all to promote it.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Is there a thread for promotion ? Because I have a project of a team tour with friends on discord and I want to promote it, but I don't know where to do it or if it's even possible at all to promote it.
Not for personal projects/tours like that, no.

Cool thank you for letting me know. Glad I got some battles in this morning before lol.
From time to time Showdown! has to go down in order for essential work and updates to be performed. There were a few bugs over the last few days, so devs are probably working hard to fix them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 6)