Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

I don't like the fact that the side menu for "formats" doesn't have an animation on :hover, but the rest of the icons do.
I only made an account to say this. Thanks.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
How do i get badges and how do i get selected in world cup tournaments?
As for the World Cup, it is a team tournament. This means that you can sign up for it, but you may not be signed to your team. (Your team being the team of your region).

To be recognized and signed, some teams hold tryouts, but you also may need some individual notable tournament wins or recognisable accomplishments.

NDK

Perpetually Tired
is a Pre-Contributor
If my Brother wants to join smogon on the same IP as me, can he do so without being recognized as an alt?

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If my Brother wants to join smogon on the same IP as me, can he do so without being recognized as an alt?
Yes, there are many people who live in the same place as each other that use Smogon. It should be noted though that on PS!, only one of you can join a given tournament as to prevent people from entering the same tournament more the once (or at least this was true 2 years ago, unsure if its still true).

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
If there isn't one already, I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of guide to navigating smogon for newer users, alongside a more conveniently accessible means to see all the important resources and information that new users would want to familiarize themselves with. Since this site is naturally many people's first experience with forums, we (or at least 1v1 does in my experience) end up with a lot of newer users who at first have no idea what they're looking at and typically end up relying on external links (usually through PS) to get to the thread they wanna find for a long time before eventually picking up how to navigate through the forum layout.

The way that I feel would best accomplish the desired effect would be to add a button to the top bar on all forum pages, alongside "Home", "Dex", "Articles", and etc, labeled "Help", which takes you to the Information & Resources portion of the Site Info section, alongside having a new thread in that portion which houses the guide to navigating smogon. Ideally, all the resources that already exist there alongside the guide to navigating smogon should help newer users figure out how to use the site, find the things they want, how to conduct themselves, and etc, which will in turn hopefully boost people's engagement with the site in a positive way.

As for what would go in the guide itself, I think the main points would be as follows:
- The hierarchy format of smogon as a forum site
- How the search function works, with examples
- How all the threads in a subforum are initially listed in order of which ones most recently had a post in them, as well as how people can order them with the Filters feature so they can more easily find what they're looking for
- What each thread prefix means (at least as it pertains to the main tiering-related subforums that most PS users enter smogon through (Project/Resource/Tournament/Metagame/Signups/etc))
- Explaining that most subforums generally restrict or at least have particular criteria when it comes to making new threads and that you shouldn't make new threads without first reading the Rules of that corresponding subforum and/or messaging one of the Moderators of that subforum about what it is that you would like to post
- Explaining all the tools and tricks at your disposal for making posts (think along the lines of hyperlinking, posting images correctly, :pokemon:, bb code, etc)

- Anything else that may be appropriate to have that I didn't outline here

I'm sure some of these already have threads or posts somewhere that cover them, but they are either too buried that I can't find them or don't exist. Either way, having everything in one very easy to find thread/post would certainly help. Especially with the coming influx of interest as a result of Scarlet & Violet, I believe that having something like this to ease the learning curve of trying to figure out smogon will be immensely helpful in pipelining users to where they wanna go.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
If there isn't one already, I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of guide to navigating smogon for newer users, alongside a more conveniently accessible means to see all the important resources and information that new users would want to familiarize themselves with. Since this site is naturally many people's first experience with forums, we (or at least 1v1 does in my experience) end up with a lot of newer users who at first have no idea what they're looking at and typically end up relying on external links (usually through PS) to get to the thread they wanna find for a long time before eventually picking up how to navigate through the forum layout.

The way that I feel would best accomplish the desired effect would be to add a button to the top bar on all forum pages, alongside "Home", "Dex", "Articles", and etc, labeled "Help", which takes you to the Information & Resources portion of the Site Info section, alongside having a new thread in that portion which houses the guide to navigating smogon. Ideally, all the resources that already exist there alongside the guide to navigating smogon should help newer users figure out how to use the site, find the things they want, how to conduct themselves, and etc, which will in turn hopefully boost people's engagement with the site in a positive way.

As for what would go in the guide itself, I think the main points would be as follows:
- The hierarchy format of smogon as a forum site
- How the search function works, with examples
- How all the threads in a subforum are initially listed in order of which ones most recently had a post in them, as well as how people can order them with the Filters feature so they can more easily find what they're looking for
- What each thread prefix means (at least as it pertains to the main tiering-related subforums that most PS users enter smogon through (Project/Resource/Tournament/Metagame/Signups/etc))
- Explaining that most subforums generally restrict or at least have particular criteria when it comes to making new threads and that you shouldn't make new threads without first reading the Rules of that corresponding subforum and/or messaging one of the Moderators of that subforum about what it is that you would like to post
- Explaining all the tools and tricks at your disposal for making posts (think along the lines of hyperlinking, posting images correctly, :pokemon:, bb code, etc)

- Anything else that may be appropriate to have that I didn't outline here

I'm sure some of these already have threads or posts somewhere that cover them, but they are either too buried that I can't find them or don't exist. Either way, having everything in one very easy to find thread/post would certainly help. Especially with the coming influx of interest as a result of Scarlet & Violet, I believe that having something like this to ease the learning curve of trying to figure out smogon will be immensely helpful in pipelining users to where they wanna go.
Yeah some of this stuff isn't explained, but there is a simple guide to Smogon.

There's one in this forum https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/introduction-to-smogon.3526346/
But adding the other stuff is a good idea.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi, I already know a bit about it but can anyone explain me the "Signature" under messages in detail?
the "signature" is the thing below a message that every user has access to (for example, mine is Cat. :raikou: )
Screenshot_428.png

how do i add theese to my signature

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

i just copied them from someone else but i dont know how to put the command like this : bulbasaur : :bulbasaur:

how do i add theese to my signature

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

i just copied them from someone else but i dont know how to put the command like this : bulbasaur : :bulbasaur:
1668250626496.png

You can edit your signature by clicking the "Signature" button in your profile.
Unfortunately, to my knowledge there isn't any command for the type icons.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Ok, should've questioned it better, what I meant was how to use it, are the BB Codes just like in messages? like :ss/serperior: will work even in signature?
it'll work, you can even embed images or links there (its mostly a normal textbox)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Is there a way for a Smogon user to tell if another user is banned or permabanned?

1668371653134.png

The above text in the user profile doesn't tell the difference between them, correct?

If their pfp becomes a random Pokemon, does that mean permabanned?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)