Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

How do I make these things have a label that doesn't say "hide"?

Is there some place where I can see the average KO's per turn for various Showdown! formats?

how could I got the pokemon icon (thing like this
) for my rmt? And how do I attach those image?
You click the picture of a landscape in the toolbar, click by url, and then paste https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/icon/###.png, where ### is their 3 digit pokedex number. you can also copy the image directly with highlight -> cntrl c->cntrl v, or upload a file if you save it to your computer with the attack files button in the bottom corner.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
how could I got the pokemon icon (thing like this
) for my rmt? And how do I attach those image?
You click the picture of a landscape in the toolbar, click by url, and then paste https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/icon/###.png, where ### is their 3 digit pokedex number. you can also copy the image directly with highlight -> cntrl c->cntrl v, or upload a file if you save it to your computer with the attack files button in the bottom corner.
I wouldn't suggest hotlinking to Serebii when they already exist right here on Smogon. https://www.smogon.com/dex/media/sprites/xyicons/gengar-mega.png for example gives you
(same naming scheme as the regular animated 3d sprites).

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Why is it when people step down almost all their badges get alumned? And I don't mean quitting, some people step down from TL and stay on the council get their Smogon and Community contributor badges removed, which doesn't make any sense to me. Do they ask for the badges to be removed?

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
Is there any place to discuss/suggest possible bans? I've been digging around the forums and it seems like discussion of bans are either restricted to certain forum members or banned altogether depending on the subforum. And no, I don't want to suggest banning Lando-T.

Why is it when people step down almost all their badges get alumned? And I don't mean quitting, some people step down from TL and stay on the council get their Smogon and Community contributor badges removed, which doesn't make any sense to me. Do they ask for the badges to be removed?
Some badges (community contributor) only become alumned for longtime contributions. Some of the other badges (tutor, contributor, likely some others I'm forgetting) do this as well. They need sustained activity in that field even after obtaining the badge for it to become alumned. Some users I think have also asked for badges to be removed, but that's rarer. The badges that are not alumned or removed are the ones still in use.

Is there any place to discuss/suggest possible bans? I've been digging around the forums and it seems like discussion of bans are either restricted to certain forum members or banned altogether depending on the subforum. And no, I don't want to suggest banning Lando-T.
I do not believe there is any place for discussing bans in any tier. For lower tiers, suspect tests are rarer, so discussing (un)banning the suspected Pokemon is definitely warranted, as is discussing the state of the metagame after a suspect test. Tiering decisions are made by the tier leaders and council, so those are the people you should contact about that kind of discussion. Discussions can sometimes be found in the respective Showdown or Discord rooms, but can be shut down just like ones on the forum.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Something that's always been bothering me was /rank. I for one experiment with teams on multiple ladders, so doing /rank to find a massive list of all the ladder ranks that I've played is too much. Could there perhaps be a /rank command that simplifies it so I only see the rank of the tier I want, or is there one already?

i.e.: /rank [user], [tier]
in a normal case, it would look like /rank c9nxtlvl, monotype
for suspect tests, perhaps something like /rank c9nxtlvl, monotypesuspecttest

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Something that's always been bothering me was /rank. I for one experiment with teams on multiple ladders, so doing /rank to find a massive list of all the ladder ranks that I've played is too much. Could there perhaps be a /rank command that simplifies it so I only see the rank of the tier I want, or is there one already?

i.e.: /rank [user], [tier]
in a normal case, it would look like /rank c9nxtlvl, monotype
for suspect tests, perhaps something like /rank c9nxtlvl, monotypesuspecttest
Pretty sure this is functional, try typing /rank c9nxtlvl, gen7ou

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am new here and would like to know where do I make my trade thread?
Best greetings and welcome to Smogon,

You can create your trade thread here in Smogon's Wi-Fi section.
While all of the Smogon rules apply there too, there are also a couple of forum-specific rules that you should read prior to creating your thread.
Once you have familiarized yourself with the rules can start creating your trade thread by clicking the orange "Post thread" button in the top right corner.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to send me a private message. Good luck!

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Are questions about making a specific competitive Pokémon (Not a team but one specific Pokémon) needed to be posted here or somewhere else?
Well, a huge part about how you run a Pokemon is very largely dependant on the team. But if you're for example training up a Pokemon in-game and wondering what would be the best way to train it is, I'd say the Wi-Fi simple questions thread is a great place to ask.

I recently joined to ask about some hacking and game development matters. Sad to admit, but I don't know what key terms or phrases to enter in the search for a introducing yourself and meeting the current members.

Please point me the right way.

Hi, so I've been in the meta since early SUMO and have been doing some tournaments in showdown, but I want to get into tourneys on the fourms, is there any kind of starter tournaments that I could sign up for, as I would like to be bigger in Smogon. Hopefully.
Thanks in advance

I recently joined to ask about some hacking and game development matters. Sad to admit, but I don't know what key terms or phrases to enter in the search for a introducing yourself and meeting the current members.

Please point me the right way.
If you mean ROM hacks, as far as I'm aware Smogon doesn't allow them anywhere cause they're sort of walking a tightrope with the whole copyright thing anyway, so they stay away from things that could bite them in the ass. If you're just talking about PS! then this forum is based around Showdown!

I'd probably suggest lurking a bit and making sure to read the site and forum specific rules because moderators on this site heavily enforce them.

Edit: I just realised that isn't what you asked. It depends what area of Smogon you want to get involved in, you can head to the specific forum for that area. For example, in Metagames>OU is for OU battling and building, Orange Islands is for talk on the official games, Firebot is... Firebot. Again read the rules and lurk a bit and you will eventually catch on, most 'terms' you can just Google or ask on the Questions thread in each forum.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response! Very comprehensive.

It depends what area of Smogon you want to get involved in, you can head to the specific forum for that area. For example, in Metagames>OU is for OU battling and building, Orange Islands is for talk on the official games, Firebot is... Firebot.
I guess most of my conversation is about understanding tools and having discussion with people that know them well. I don't know how far the policy goes on the subject, I'm mostly trying to envelop playtesting older Pokemon titles on emulators and figuring out how my code revisions will operate within them. To be honest my DS has a problem with its backlight so using hardware to backup my saves is a lifesaver.

One example that I could give is how one could take the TM system in gen VI into the previous iterations. I may be reaching when I say this, but I have a strong inclination to believe that people still play and discuss older titles. If not for critical thinking and reference, but to enjoy the nostalgia about them.

The most I would go is to talk about how to get the best quality for a lets play, granted that my capture card isn't exactly choice.

I'd probably suggest lurking a bit and making sure to read the site and forum specific rules because moderators on this site heavily enforce them.
Thanks for the heads up, I feel like I'll have to do a bit of reading about how this place is ran. So its nice to hear from an actual person that you may be in danger of breaking a rule, instead of getting blasted without warning.

you will eventually catch on, most 'terms' you can just Google or ask on the Questions thread in each forum.
Does this mean that each forum has its own meet and greet section where I can introduce myself? I wonder aloud!

Last edited:

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I'm sure this has been answered before, but how do I accept a friend request here?
There aren't necessarily 'friend requests' on Smogon, but if someone follows you, you can follow them back and that's practically the equivalent to a friend system. To do that, just go to the user's profile and hit 'follow' near their profile picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)