Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

When does the nomination stage for OMotM start? Is it standardized (e.g one week before the next month)? I noticed the past two months had it over a week before the next month, but I can't recall the exact dates.

Can it be assumed that every person with both a Smogon and Pokemon Showdown account use the same name on both sites (in other words, is there a policy regarding the matchup of names on Smogon and Showdown)?

DMDW

Nothing is wrong with Light Mode Discord
is a Contributor to Smogon
Is there a "Smogon Notepad" where I can write down stuff and keep it private? Personal Details does the same thing but it is publicly shown.
Asking for a friend. (I have to post some thread every week and I want it to be set up when I have extra time. Save Drafts blew up my thing 200+ times etc etc)

Can it be assumed that every person with both a Smogon and Pokemon Showdown account use the same name on both sites (in other words, is there a policy regarding the matchup of names on Smogon and Showdown)?
No. Some people for whatever reason don't use the same name (could be it is taken on one site, but not the other, different tastes in usernames if the two accounts were created at different times, etc). For the bigger names, you can usually find their PS name on Smogon account (if it is different).

I was trying to get a name change to the name aidan but it says its already taken. I try to look up the user but, it doesnt show up or even say "The user limits who looks at their profile". Can someone explain what is happening?

Quite Quiet

sleep life away
is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
Articles Co-Leader
Would someone be able to explain me how usually useless moves are choosen ?
Any move that few if anything ever would use in a competitive battle, like False Swipe or Fake Tears are considered usually useless. They're not listed as entirely useless because things like Z-Solar Beam Heatran see usage in OU, so they are listed as usually because they are more often than not useless. I know Curse is there but it probably shouldn't be to be honest.

I was trying to get a name change to the name aidan but it says its already taken. I try to look up the user but, it doesnt show up or even say "The user limits who looks at their profile". Can someone explain what is happening?
Probably XenForo search struggling with pre-2013 stuff like usualy. In either case Aidan is indeed taken: https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/aidan.106087/

Where can I ask Pokemon-related questions?
If related to the pokemon games themselves ask in Orange Islands, if things like OU and other community based metagames try here.

Also I’m not sure if this is grantable but does anyone have a copy of X-Acts master thesis? He’s never on and the link is broken, but I’m highly interested in his field of mathematical branch. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
You can make one in Firebot/Cong of the Masses, or be like Chloe and do one in the OMs forum (not advised). I feel like I was kinda harsh to you, but you’re a good BH player and your wall is blocked so I’ll say bye here. Come back and visit ❤️.
Thank you. I will do it in the Firebot/Congregation of the Masses as you suggested.

I appreciate your kind words and taking ownership of what you said. I’ll post a final link in the smogon discord so people know where to look. Please let them know (I’ll link it in this post) in case they aren’t on when I send the link out.

Link: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-farewell-post.3639999/

Last edited:
Is there a reason why Smogon lets everyone see which users liked which posts? I've never seen another website like this (yes pun intended).
I can't speak for every website, but I think this is fairly common and a benign feature to include. For just one example, Twitter lets you see what tweets other users like (both on individual tweets and through peoples's profiles). It likely also has to do with the template provided / hosting by XenForo - though that is just my guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)