Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Osra

⠓⠊⠂ ⠊⠄⠍ ⠙⠁⠊⠎⠽⠖
is a Pre-Contributor
Smogon seems to like unwatching me from threads whenever they go a day or two without posts.
Is there a way we could make it not do that? Or at least make it something each user can configure for themselves?

Reactions: MDB

Oglemi

step up, snap ya back
is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Smogon Historian
Smogon seems to like unwatching me from threads whenever they go a day or two without posts.
Is there a way we could make it not do that? Or at least make it something each user can configure for themselves?
Unless you can submit a fix to Xenforo, then no unfortunately. It's just one of those weird clunky downsides to the software we're using, along with other weird random things like tagging being shoddy in general and alerts sometimes disappearing if you log in from mobile and then from a laptop/desktop.

Last edited:
i want a name on pokemon showdown but i get the message "Your username is no longer available." what does this mean and is there a way i can obtain the username??

i want a name on pokemon showdown but i get the message "Your username is no longer available." what does this mean and is there a way i can obtain the username??
That means the name is disabled. You can only get the name if you were the original owner, a smogon badgeholder, PS contributor, or Global Staff on PS.

Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)

went from brawl to melee, still mediocre
is a Community Contributor
Quick question: How do I insert Showdown sprites into posts (where can I find them)?
all the sprites can be found at https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/

to post them on the forums, you can just put the image url between [img] tags. for example

[img]https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/bulbasaur.gif[/img]

shows up as

Is there any place where I can talk about what the badge people are talking about in policy review? I don't have any badges.

Coconut

W
is a Tutoris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Is there any place where I can talk about what the badge people are talking about in policy review? I don't have any badges.
You could get a badge.

Jokes aside, discussions like that happen in a place where contributors can talk for a reason. If you truly believe your input is unique and influential, you could potentially message someone who is active in the thread, possibly the owner of said thread and discuss it with them. If your opinion is of value, they will either post on your behalf (I'm not sure if that's allowed anymore) or they can post your thoughts indirectly.

Is there a way to get the username "Pano" on showdown? it says its taken but i've never seen it active in the 3 years i've played

Hey looking for some Gen 1 advice. Arcanine has really worked out well for me as an "anti"-lead, running Fire Blast, Body Slam, and Agility. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would make a good 4th move? Sub has just not really been useful for me. Also would help if anyone knows if submission nabs Sandslash any important OHKOs after a SD in Gen 1. Thanks for the help, keep Gen 1 OU alive!

Oglemi

step up, snap ya back
is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Smogon Historian
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/venusaur/

On here, Mega-Venusaur is in UUBL. But the first format that shows up is Ubers, is there a reason for that? Why doesn't OU show up first if that's the tier it's supposed to be in?
Kind of an oversight unfortunately. When a Pokemon's highest placed tier is a BL (banned from the lower tier but not enough usage for the higher tier), the default analysis given on the Dex is its highest viable metagame.

Hey, I have another question about the forums:
I just wanted to know what is the purpose of the Firebot and Trou du Cul threads and why non-members can't access them.

Hey, I have another question about the forums:
I just wanted to know what is the purpose of the Firebot and Trou du Cul threads and why non-members can't access them.
Those forums are like the dark underbelly of the website, those seedy corners you find in cities. In other words, Firebot is where all (most) of the stupidity takes place, and threads that are particularly dumb (usually not from Firebot) are moved to Trou.

Hello, i'm planning on hosting a tournament in my college, but the tournament command won't allow people to join while using the same wifi connection. Is there a way to host a private tournament that allows duplicate IPs to join? otherwise i won't be able to join the tournament anymore.
Thank you and sorry if i posted on wrong place.

Hello, i'm planning on hosting a tournament in my college, but the tournament command won't allow people to join while using the same wifi connection. Is there a way to host a private tournament that allows duplicate IPs to join? otherwise i won't be able to join the tournament anymore.
Thank you and sorry if i posted on wrong place.
It is not possible using the Showdown tournament script as far as I'm aware but you could use another webside like https://challonge.com or even writing their names on letters and randomize them to make the tournament brackets and let players challenge each other manually.

It is not possible using the Showdown tournament script as far as I'm aware but you could use another webside like https://challonge.com or even writing their names on letters and randomize them to make the tournament brackets and let players challenge each other manually.
Indeed, that's the way we'll do it. We planned on using our own custom rules, like "no mythical or legendaries allowed".
We tried to use Custom Game mode, but it would let people use pokémon with 9999hp or something like that.
We'll work it out with the Singles and Doubles OU format. Thank You for replying.

Merritt

literally the textbook definition of a tsundere
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi,it appears to me that a lot of people are blocking me simply for speaking. any reasons as to why? and fi yuo don't want casual gamers here then why don't you just state that? it seems that there's a preference for ''experts''only. please explain? btw I already read the ''philosophy''.
It's generally not appreciated to post on people's walls with random stuff if you don't know that person already, particularly if you're responding to things that are months old on said profiles.

It has nothing to do with you being a "casual gamer" it's because you're doing a rough equivalent of sending random text messages to strangers which is generally met by being blocked.

talking gets you blocked?did you make these ''rules'' up just now? I'm curious. I have no sent anything offensive. sheesh if you really only want a certain type of gamer on here then just say so instead of insulting random people. btw I dont' see how saying hi is harming anyone. jsut sya you don't want me here, that's clearly what you are trying to say
it's not a rule, it's just what some people do.
It's not discrimination, people just find random messages weird.
He wasn't trying to insult you, he's just stating what people think.
No one is trying to offend you here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 2)