Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

How does Smogon/PS intend to handle Gen 8 National OU? Won't there be interactions that we won't know?

Case in point: Suppose a Pokémon with Slow Start is in play. Two turns go by. Three more to go before Slow Start wears off. The opponent sends in a Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas. Slow Start is now disabled. The opponent then switches out so Neutralizing Gas is no longer in effect. Does the turn count for Slow Start resume where it left off, or does it get reset back to five turns?

In past gens, we could either look at the game's code and see what the interaction would be, or we could test it ourselves by playing the games. But (spoilers) as there is no Pokémon with Slow Start programmed into Sword/Shield, this won't be possible here. And this is just one of the MANY interactions that won't be in Gen 8 (at least, at the start -- perhaps future Gen 8 games will have more Pokémon in them).

The only thing I can think of is to just let someone arbitrarily decide what the interaction should be. But in that case, who would do such a thing and how would they make their decision?

Merritt

literally the textbook definition of a tsundere
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hey whats up with speed in pokemon showdown. I had a Serperior with 227 speed stat up against a Slurpuff with no more than a 130 speed stat under the effect of sticky web. It hit first with play rough with <10% hp remaining and beat me. How can I anticipate this happening?

Merritt

literally the textbook definition of a tsundere
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hey whats up with speed in pokemon showdown. I had a Serperior with 227 speed stat up against a Slurpuff with no more than a 130 speed stat under the effect of sticky web. It hit first with play rough with <10% hp remaining and beat me. How can I anticipate this happening?
Can you provide a replay showing this? I'm not sure why the Slurpuff would have 130 speed, but 227 Speed Serperior sounds like random battles to me.

If I assume this was a randbats game, then Slurpuff should have had 171 speed (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on this) and probably had Unburden activated, doubling its raw speed. Even under Sticky Webs, that should still put it at just barely more than 227 Speed, which would outpace Serperior.

Can you provide a replay showing this? I'm not sure why the Slurpuff would have 130 speed, but 227 Speed Serperior sounds like random battles to me.

If I assume this was a randbats game, then Slurpuff should have had 171 speed (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on this) and probably had Unburden activated, doubling its raw speed. Even under Sticky Webs, that should still put it at just barely more than 227 Speed, which would outpace Serperior.
You're a pro. Thats definitely what happened. I with there were links that I could use to discreetly look at abilities with

You're a pro. Thats definitely what happened. I with there were links that I could use to discreetly look at abilities with
/dt [Pokémon name] in chat to see the most essential info on a specific Pokémon.

Here you can see the movesets of all Pokémon in randbats if you'd want to.

Is there a way to combine Smogon accounts. I created this account forgetting that I had created one long ago. I would like to use my older one (older sign up date) but use this username and email. Is this a possibility?

Thanks for the information.

How does Smogon/PS intend to handle Gen 8 National OU? Won't there be interactions that we won't know?

Case in point: Suppose a Pokémon with Slow Start is in play. Two turns go by. Three more to go before Slow Start wears off. The opponent sends in a Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas. Slow Start is now disabled. The opponent then switches out so Neutralizing Gas is no longer in effect. Does the turn count for Slow Start resume where it left off, or does it get reset back to five turns?

In past gens, we could either look at the game's code and see what the interaction would be, or we could test it ourselves by playing the games. But (spoilers) as there is no Pokémon with Slow Start programmed into Sword/Shield, this won't be possible here. And this is just one of the MANY interactions that won't be in Gen 8 (at least, at the start -- perhaps future Gen 8 games will have more Pokémon in them).

The only thing I can think of is to just let someone arbitrarily decide what the interaction should be. But in that case, who would do such a thing and how would they make their decision?
Now that we know all the abilities are in the game, it is possible to test mechanical interactions instead of making them up. As such, NatDex shall be an OM.
How, if at all, does this take Megas/Z-Moves and axed moves like Hidden Power and Pursuit into account?
Those are deleted mechanics. NatDex only assumes that all Pokemon can be transferred from USUM to SWSH. I'm sure there'll be a Pet Mod of some sort with all deleted mechanics.

Quite Quiet

Tournament Banner
is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
[04:02] chaos: i made a change to the ads which should hopefully stop what's going on, it says it may take an hour to kick in
[04:02] chaos: this isn't something i did, so if you added adblock over this, plz take it off when its fixed

If you're still seeing the ads could you please post screenshots. I am not using adblock, and for me the site as the same amount of ads it has had for years.

How exactly are Gen 8 formats going to work?

Is it like Gen 7 except with the new mons and Dynamax/Gigantamax?

Or will there be no megas and z moves and only have the Gen 8 dex?

How exactly are Gen 8 formats going to work?

Is it like Gen 7 except with the new mons and Dynamax/Gigantamax?

Or will there be no megas and z moves and only have the Gen 8 dex?
As with every generation, the exact mechanics of the game are replicated on showdown!. That means no megas and Z-Moves, just like we lost all the gem items that were in Gen V before.

There is a proposed other metagame with all Pokémon, including the ones that are no longer in the games. However, last I heard this will also use exact Gen VIII mechanics, meaning no Z-Moves or megas will return then either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)