Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Hey mods, please explain to me this ban on double-posting. I mean if somebody is spamming a thread with posts, that's a separate issue. You can ban those jerks on a case-by-case basis. But I cannot fathom why if a person posts and then posts again about a separate point, that is somehow a problem.

Back in 4th gen when Smogon was the only forum I'd ever frequented, I didn't question this rule. But now that I've been around the internet it seems bizarre. Who is it hurting if the same person makes two posts in a row?

(Just to be clear, I haven't broken this rule myself. I'm just baffled by it.)

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey mods, please explain to me this ban on double-posting. I mean if somebody is spamming a thread with posts, that's a separate issue. You can ban those jerks on a case-by-case basis. But I cannot fathom why if a person posts and then posts again about a separate point, that is somehow a problem.

Back in 4th gen when Smogon was the only forum I'd ever frequented, I didn't question this rule. But now that I've been around the internet it seems bizarre. Who is it hurting if the same person makes two posts in a row?

(Just to be clear, I haven't broken this rule myself. I'm just baffled by it.)
It's a way of keeping the clutter down. You can quote multiple posts within one post, so there's no need for multiple posts. Certain subforums do allow it within certain threads (Wi-Fi), but generally speaking most adhere to using one post to reply to multiple posts.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I can not post a thread in most categories and not even a simple reply!
What kind of forum is this?
I'm a 27 year old physician and am not allowed write a post about pokemon.
What thread(s) are you trying to post in, and what sub-forum(s) are you trying to post a thread in? It may be that the thread(s)/sub-forum(s) you are trying to post in are locked. It may also be something else related to your account. Maybe you didn't verify your email yet? I've been told its not this.

Last edited:
What thread(s) are you trying to post in, and what sub-forum(s) are you trying to post a thread in? It may be that the thread(s)/sub-forum(s) you are trying to post in are locked. It may also be something else related to your account. Maybe you didn't verify your email yet? I've been told its not this.
Reply in Policy review about Dynamax and thread in OverUsed

How do you insert an image of a pokemon (model or icon) into a forum post? That is, where do I find the library of images and how do I import it the forum? Thanks

How do you insert an image of a pokemon (model or icon) into a forum post? That is, where do I find the library of images and how do I import it the forum? Thanks
There is an icon that let's you insert an image from a local storage or URL. It is next to smilies icon. You can also press "Control+P" to activate it.
I know a very common resource people use around here for images is:
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/

As of a few months ago chaos has also implemented an easy way to directly implement sprites.
Code:
:charmander:
will look like this
:charmander:
You can also do different gen sprites
Code:
:rb/charmander: :gs/charmander: :rs/charmander: :dp/charmander: :bw/charmander: :xy/charmander: :sm/charmander:
:rb/charmander: :gs/charmander: :rs/charmander: :dp/charmander: :bw/charmander: :xy/charmander: :sm/charmander:

Why did you delete gen 7 double uber. Also, can you please bring it back at least to be able to challenge people on it.
Also, You should make a gen 7 monotype uber mode because since ubers are not allowed in the normal monotype mode and there are many people who want to have uber pokemon on their teams I think it will work out. Rules the same as monotype just uber pokemon are allowed.
Like if you agree.

I've heard there are no plans for it, and if there's no way to convince anyone to change that then so be it, but... all I really want is a Gen 8 full national dex meta with tiers so I can use and fight more 'mons without having to see Zacian every single last battle.

A Gen 8 National Dex Random Battle building off that would be the best, but I feel like I already asked for too much in the first sentence.

Last edited:
I've heard there are no plans for it, and if there's no way to convince anyone to change that then so be it, but... all I really want is a Gen 8 full national dex meta with tiers so I can use and fight more 'mons without having to see Zacian every single last battle.
National Dex (beta) already has a Showdown! ladder.

Is there a Pet Mod forum available for SS? I am aware of the Other Metagames forum but I don’t know if my idea would apply there, which leads me to my next question:

Are there any plans to make a metagame where Dynamax functions differently? I was thinking about a different implementation of Dynamax where the HP and move power are both increased but no secondary effects are applied after using them. For example, Max Knuckle would still provide a stronger-than-normal fighting-type move but not give an attack boost after using it. I think it’s a concept that applies more to Pet Mods than OM so I’m curious about any developments regarding Pet Mods and/or altering Dynamax.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
I'm unsure if this has been answered already, but I'll ask anyway just for assurance sake.

Is it possible to change your username at all on the forums? I'm a bit iffy on still using my current one given how it's grown a bit dated since I first joined, and I'd prefer not to outright make a new account given how there is history to my account (despite it not being as much as with others).

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I'm unsure if this has been answered already, but I'll ask anyway just for assurance sake.

Is it possible to change your username at all on the forums? I'm a bit iffy on still using my current one given how it's grown a bit dated since I first joined, and I'd prefer not to outright make a new account given how there is history to my account (despite it not being as much as with others).
Yes, it is possible to change your username; however, there are some standards. Visit this thread for more information on it. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-new-name-and-profile-change-requests-read-the-op.3609246/

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor

yes, you need to post in the name requests thread, make sure you read the OP however. You can't change your name on your own.

Hey I'm wondering if there is any way to get knock off or foul play on mandibuzz or did it lose both those moves in sword and shield? I have been trying to breed a vullaby with roost and knock off and I can get roost on it but not knock off and I don't have the foul play tr to see if it's compatible.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey I'm wondering if there is any way to get knock off or foul play on mandibuzz or did it lose both those moves in sword and shield? I have been trying to breed a vullaby with roost and knock off and I can get roost on it but not knock off and I don't have the foul play tr to see if it's compatible.
Both of those moves are allowed on Mandibuzz, atleast on Pokemon Showdown. In Gen 7, Mandibuzz got Knock Off as an egg move from Farfetch'd, so I would imagine that is the same in SW/SH.

You can relearn Knock Off or learn it at Level 20.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Where would I go to ask questions about certain pokemon analyses? Would it be the Simple Q&A thread?
Depends. Are you looking to reserve one? In that case you have to go to the appropriate Pokemon reservation thread in the corresponding C&C subforum. Otherwise you can ask here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/c-c-simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3656659/

If you have a question about a specific Pokemon or about Smogon in general you can ask here or in the Tier's subforum's SQSA thread.

Repu

The Sand Crew
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When I bookmark a post, what happens? Does it work only to organize posts?

me edit: its a function of the forum I barely use, so that left me wondering.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)