Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

So if you go onto someone's profile, and click the blue link to users, you see categories of most messages, most reaction scores, today's birthdays, and site staff. The category in question is Today's Birthdays. Does that category show the age you turned into, even if you made your age invisible on your profile? Or does it just not show you said user who had their age invisible at all? Or does it still show you said user, but not their age? This confuses me so I figured I'd ask.

Merritt

literally the textbook definition of a tsundere
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
So if you go onto someone's profile, and click the blue link to users, you see categories of most messages, most reaction scores, today's birthdays, and site staff. The category in question is Today's Birthdays. Does that category show the age you turned into, even if you made your age invisible on your profile? Or does it just not show you said user who had their age invisible at all? Or does it still show you said user, but not their age? This confuses me so I figured I'd ask.
As you can see if you look on said birthday page, if no year is visible in the profile then it leaves the age blank.

Alright. Sorry to ask a question the day after I asked one, but how do some people end up with negative reaction scores? By that, I mean they have a -(insert number here) for a reaction score. How does that even work?

I've had a bit of conversation with a couple BH players about this, and I'm pretty sure other people have had the same thought: in the RMT thread, there should be two categories: asking for feedback and "showing off" or aiming to get into Team Showcase.

There are two types of teams that are posted: teams that are still in development, where the player wants advice from others to improve the team; and teams that are pretty much finished (in the eyes of the builder), where the player is simultaneously "showing it off" and looking for feedback just to touch up the team.

While these categories sound similar, they look very different - for example, the former usually looks like this while the latter looks like this. And it creates this weird situation where half (or even more than half) of the RMTs are really just Team Showcase submissions that aren't actually looking for much feedback. Adding a "Teamsharing" thread would alleviate this issue while also helping new players find pretty good teams without needing to shuffle through all of the underdeveloped ones.

When browsing past generations in the strategy dex, it would be nice if newer Pokemon weren't excluded from the search bar. Instead, searching for them should link you to either their most recent generation, or their first generation. For someone who likes looking back at strategies of the past, it can be frustrating to search for something, not see it, remember "oh right, that doesn't exist yet", exit the search bar, switch to a later gen, go back into the search bar, and backspace to update the search results.

newgirl125

Banned deucer.
Welcome to Smogon, the premier competitive battling Pokemon website! If you're new to the forums or competitive battling in general and looking for help on how things work around here, feel free to ask any questions you have in this thread.

Please keep in mind that this is not an introduction thread, so do include relevant queries in your posts. You're more than welcome to ask questions regarding competitive battling, our forums in general, or how to get involved in a particular section of the website, and we'll be happy to help you out or direct you to the appropriate resource.

We'll do our best to answer every question in this thread, but if your question relates to a specific part of the forums, you'll likely get a much quicker answer there. For your convenience, here are links to the Simple Questions & Answers threads in Smogon's various forums:

If your question pertains to any of these areas, please use the forum-specific SQSAs.

There are also several other threads in the Information & Resources forum which might contain the information you're looking for:
  • Introduction to Smogon - Provides an introduction to the website and information regarding our various resources and contribution opportunities.
  • Global Forum Rules - You know what these are; you should read them.
  • Competitive Battling FAQ - A basic introduction to competitive battling. If you're completely new to the competitive aspect of Pokemon, then this thread will give you a solid foundation to build from.
  • Tiering FAQ - A useful introductory resource to Smogon's tiering processes.
  • Badge FAQ - A rundown of Smogon's contribution/staff-based awards for contribution: badges. Also, their Badge Leaders.
  • Smogon Staff & Promotions - Contains a list of all staff members and the section of the site they moderate.
If your question is related to base stats, moves or abilities, it'd be a good idea to check out the USUM research thread or the Past Generations research thread depending on the game.

If you can't find the answer you're looking in any of the above threads, then we encourage you to use this one!

If you spot an error on one of the site pages (such as a Pokemon being listed in the wrong tier in the Strategydex), post here.

Also, feel free to post any suggestions you may have for Smogon here as well. Here's some of the stuff that's been put forward already:
Can we delete inactive accounts with 0 posts?

We're not deleting inactive accounts because chances are an older user could return and want their account back. The most that'll probably be done is name changes if a user is desperate for the name. But in general a purge is very unlikely in the near future.

Can we enable likes in Smogon conversations?

This feature costs money that we don't have unfortunately. Plus, the admins are programming more important things for the site, too.

Can we have a dropbox to export older teams into?

It's currently not possible for XenForo. You can upload teams to files and then upload them to Dropbox to share with friends, but XenForo does not support this.

Can we add Tapatalk, or some other way to view Smogon better on the mobile?

chaos is currently too busy to be able to have the time to implement something like that. You can try to make something for us though!

Can we have a darker Smogon theme?

NMx13 designed one. This thread has instructions (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-dark-skin.3502839/) to add it in.

Can the search function look for three letter words?

Unfortunately not, but you can try to search on Google.

Can we have clans?

It's generally accepted that we won't have clans anytime in the future.

Can we have a ROM hacking forum?

We wouldn't get enough activity to really need a forum, as everyone goes to the other ROM hacking forums already and we'd have nothing new to offer.

Can we edit options in a poll?

Nope, Xenforo doesn't support that unfortunately!

Will we ever change the logo?

Nope, Smogon means Koffing in German, so unless we change the name there's... not really a point.
Hi! i just got a brand new server and i cant get on it

Hi! i just got a brand new server and i cant get on it
Then on the forum called "Pokemon Showdown" there is a thread called technical support. The first post may explain as to why you can't even enter it in the first place, and it's somewhere near or at the bottom that it may explain why. If you still have no clue as to why, then make a message about it in that thread. However, I recommend you do it in the way the bottom of the post tells you to.

First of all, to whoever added back the Gen 7 DOU ladder recently, thank you, thank you, thank you! It is in higher demand (based on battles at any given time) than Gen 1-6 OU or Gen 8 DUU, it's the only current non-Dynamax doubles alternative and it doesn't interfere too much, and is complementary, with Gen 8 DOU, since the mons used are so different.

One small thing I noted: the Legendary Beasts (Suicune, Entei and Raikou) can't use their Gen 7 hidden ability Inner Focus now. They have always had this in Gen 7, as long as I've played.

See e.g.:

replay 1
replay 2
replay 3

None of the Legendary Beasts is remotely close to broken in Gen 7 DOU with Inner Focus, and I don't think any are ranked above tier 4. It would be great if this can be fixed (i.e., Inner Focus added back). I'll let you guys know if I run into any other kinks. I know the ladder has only been up for a few days. Thank you so much again!!! Hope the ladder can stay up as long as people enjoy playing. The reinstatement of the Gen 7 DOU ladder (and ability to get games once again, for someone who doesn't play singles and isn't a fan of dynamax) is one of the happiest things I've come across recently, in these trying times of global pandemic...

LOOKS LIKE THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Last edited:
Reactions: pqs

Tramuntana

formerly SJMistery
First of all, to whoever added back the Gen 7 DOU ladder recently, thank you, thank you, thank you! It is in higher demand (based on battles at any given time) than Gen 1-6 OU or Gen 8 UU, it's the only current non-Dynamax doubles alternative and it doesn't interfere too much, and is complementary, with Gen 8 DOU, since the mons used are so different.

One small thing I noted: the Legendary Beasts (Suicune, Entei and Raikou) can't use their Gen 7 hidden ability Inner Focus now. They have always had this in Gen 7, as long as I've played.

See e.g.:

replay 1
replay 2
replay 3

None of the Legendary Beasts is remotely close to broken in Gen 7 DOU with Inner Focus, and I don't think any are ranked above tier 4. It would be great if this can be fixed (i.e., Inner Focus added back). I'll let you guys know if I run into any other kinks. I know the ladder has only been up for a few days. Thank you so much again!!! Hope the ladder can stay up as long as people enjoy playing. The reinstatement of the Gen 7 DOU ladder (and ability to get games once again, for someone who doesn't play singles and isn't a fan of dynamax) is one of the happiest things I've come across recently, in these trying times of global pandemic...
I heavily agree with this. I also thank whoever returned the other the Gen 7 tiers available, and I'll politely ask them to complete the job with RU, NU, and BSS. I really miss them.

I had 2 threads disappear . My questions are "to where" and "how come"
I realize this is 2 questions, but they are related so I've put them into a single post rather than 2
Your threads were most likely deleted by a staff member. If you want to know why, you can ask said staff member and they can answer. As for me, I can't answer "how come" as I am not a staff member.

Edit: Also as to who may have deleted it, I also cannot answer, but I'd ask the staff of the forum your threads were deleted in and you might get your answer. By asking on their profile or via conversation is the best way to do it.

Last edited:
How can you make your own thread if you have a cool idea for an OM? Or do you have to explain it to a mod so they make a thread about it?

How can you make your own thread if you have a cool idea for an OM? Or do you have to explain it to a mod so they make a thread about it?
There is a thing at the top of most forums labeled "Post new thread". However, there is 1 thing that you need to do to create a new OM, and this goes for most threads anywhere if you aren't staff of said forum yourself or something else I may be forgetting.
1: Get a moderator of the OM forum to see if it's OK for you to make. If not, or you don't even bother asking, your thread will most likely get locked. Then nobody can speak on it.

For OMs specifically, there's a subforum at the top called "OM Submissions" that you need to post your proposal in.

You can also bounce ideas around before then in the Metagame Workshop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)