Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

So Sleep Clause is a very old rule that applies to most of Smogon's single metagames. Basically, it means that you can only attempt to put one Pokemon to sleep - it won't prevent you from putting an opponent's Pokemon to sleep if they have another Pokemon who used Rest, it only covers sleep inflicted by the opponent. It was removed from Doubles OU in a previous generation and has stayed such through the current meta.

In short, in DOU you're fine putting multiple Pokemon to sleep. If you're unsure about what clauses apply in a game look at the top of the log next to the battle screen - there'll be a list of clauses in effect for that format there. The person who told you that sleep clause is a thing in Doubles OU was most likely uninformed, because Sleep Clause is in effect for most metagames, but if the simulator allows it then you're fine.
Okay, thank you so much!!! I did feel bad because they got really upset and starting swearing at me. I know it can be annoying facing lots of sleep, its just the one team that does this strategy and it doesn't always work.

By GMT you mean Greenwich Mean Time, right? You should be able to find your time zone by finding your location on a map like the one below and read the number next to it.

If you're from a country with a very annoying government, then you might also have to account for Daylight Savings.
I live in america in the -6 area, would that change or stay the same with daylight savings?

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I live in america in the -6 area, would that change or stay the same with daylight savings?
Your timezone (CDT) is currently GMT -5 due to daylight savings. It's CST (Central Standard Time) in the winter months, which is GMT -6, and during the summer months (changed after most recent daylight savings) it is CDT (Central Daylight Time) which is GMT -5.

Timezones are a mess.

Your timezone (CDT) is currently GMT -5 due to daylight savings. It's CST (Central Standard Time) in the winter months, which is GMT -6, and during the summer months (changed after most recent daylight savings) it is CDT (Central Daylight Time) which is GMT -5.

Timezones are a mess.
Thank you so much.

Hi there I'm new to the forums and a little overwhelmed. I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue(showing my age) and dabbled with the idea of competitive for years. However now I've decided to commit but the wealth of information is quite off putting.

As a newbie to the field is there an introduction place I can post or what general information is essential before I post?

The only thing I have at the moment that I am happy with battling is a Toxapex w/regenerator and Smogons suggested moveset of toxic, recover, haze and scald.

My issue is I've literally no idea how to build a team, where to ask what team to build, what tiers are or...well anything!

Is there a general newbie area I can drop into and get more info? Thanks in advance! Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Is there a general newbie area I can drop into and get more info? Thanks in advance! Apologies if this is in the wrong place!
I've had this question myself for some time but I never really got around to asking it. I guess you can read this for now. People in the various Pokemon Showdown! chatrooms should be able to answer any quick questions you have. If you decide to really dedicate, then you can try going here.

I also have a probably-not-best-quality guide linked in my signature. Am I allowed to recommend it?

I know this has been asked already, but after the recent hacking is there really no way to delete your account? I don't really use this forum anyways and i don't like my E-mail adress being leaked. Or do i have to do bad stuff to get banned? Can't be a good solution.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I know this has been asked already, but after the recent hacking is there really no way to delete your account? I don't really use this forum anyways and i don't like my E-mail adress being leaked. Or do i have to do bad stuff to get banned? Can't be a good solution.
There's no way to delete your account. If you're concerned about your email, your best course of action would be to change the one linked for the forums (click on your username > account details). You may want to do the same for anywhere else which uses that email, since everywhere has a chance of being hacked or being named facebook. Banned accounts aren't deleted, so that's not an option either.

edit: looks like I stand corrected

Last edited:
There's no way to delete your account. If you're concerned about your email, your best course of action would be to change the one linked for the forums (click on your username > account details). You may want to do the same for anywhere else which uses that email, since everywhere has a chance of being hacked or being named facebook. Banned accounts aren't deleted, so that's not an option either.
Thanks for the quick response!
Our stance on deletion of accounts wrt the hack is that we’re doing it upon request. PM me if you want to delete yours.

(Wasn't sure where else to ask this- if there's a better place to post this please lmk)

Just out of curiosity- why are e-reader berries not allowed in ADV OU? I wasn't able to find any prior discussion related to this.

I understand that there are complications relating to their inability to be traded and the like, but I believe they are technically possible to use competitively because as I understand it, they are still able to be brought to a link battle, where a hypothetical Gen 3 OU battle would take place. While they don't have any particular use that other items don't already have (Mental Herb/White Herb exist in gen 3, right?), I believe there are other redundant (or utterly useless) items that are currently implemented into Showdown.

Why do I still get this message?

Because moderated chat is set, your account must be at least one week old and you must have won at least one ladder game to speak in this room.

It's been over a week and I've had a few wins in official ladder matches.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
Why do I still get this message?

It's been over a week and I've had a few wins in official ladder matches.
have you registered? and if you have try refreshing the page then try again. this forum is more for smogon concerns though; the ps help room would be a better place for that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)