Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Are there any plans to bring back the badgeholders thread? It'd be nice to look at it for curiosity's sake, but ever since the site redesign that thread's been gone which is very unfortunate.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
because of the length of my name, "formerly gurpreet patel (sent you a friend request)" is one character too long to be a usable custom title. if i get my name changed, what will my custom title become instead?

Conni

katharsis
because of the length of my name, "formerly gurpreet patel (sent you a friend request)" is one character too long to be a usable custom title. if i get my name changed, what will my custom title become instead?
It will most likely be "formerly known as [and then how much of your name can fit in here]".

However, it is probably dependent on who's changing your name as if it is too long for a Ct then the mod would probably know what would be best, maybe just "Gurpreet Patel" could be distinguishable enough but that's just my assumption.

Have an question about for the clan will be this possible to make an clan wars, as i play before to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the clan wars excepted that it would be every use of pokemon by specific clans on showdown or 3ds games. For example i want to play Hydreigon on my clan wars out that in other clan it would not be playable, unless he plays it in another clan it will take a replay on showdown or video proof on 3ds game. Well if it's already done so i should not have asked that question if it is proposed.

PS: If it starts then I'll be happy.

What is the best way to get friend codes so that you can get hidden abilities in Pokemon Y Friend Safari? I found some (in a thread) and added them but i think they have to add me too so it doesn't work.

Or is there maybe a better way to get hidden abilities?

i would like to know how to participate to a tournament please
First, you find a tournament that has opened signups, then you post "in" in the thread with the post announcing the tournament. Just make sure it's a tournament you want to participate in. After that, you wait for round 1 to go up. Once it does, you contact your opponent and schedule when you want to play the game, but try to play before the deadline. Once you play your opponent, post the result in the round thread. If your opponent does not respond you can claim an activity win. If the only time you and your opponent can play is after the deadline, you can request an extension.

im so sorry but how do i find a tournament
There are tons of tournaments on the forums if you look around a little. Take a look in the Tournaments subforum or you can also find some in the individual tiers' subforums (i.e. OU tournaments in the OU subforum, LC in the LC subforum, etc). Just make sure it is the signups phase or if the tournament is taking substitutes, you can join as a sub.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Pretty much every hyperlinked username on the Credits page is going to be broken now that the URLs are different (I mention this because I don't intend to fix it myself anytime soon). This actually goes for any older pages on the site, but the Credits page is the most notable thing I could think of and is what I was using when I noticed.

When writing a thread, how do I add those little blue drop-down menus? (As seen below)
Oh yeah, and while I'm on the subject, how do I add those little pixelated sprites? (also as seen below)
Thanks so much! :P
Screenshot_20180716-103648.jpg

Conni

katharsis
When writing a thread, how do I add those little blue drop-down menus? (As seen below)
Oh yeah, and while I'm on the subject, how do I add those little pixelated sprites? (also as seen below)
Thanks so much! :PView attachment 127757
about the hide tags (this is what they're called).
you do this.
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 4.52.50 PM.png

the place where I wrote star wars spoiler is what the name of the box will be like in the picture you posted where it says clerics, pivots, or walls.

everything else about the tags (defined by whats inside these --> [ ]) should be like in the picture. The hide= and /hide parts are important to make the box or else it won't work. Be sure to also to close the tags with these [ ] or it won't work as well.

How'd my example would look like if I implemented it would be like this.

han solo dies!

About the sprites (the pixellated image), you need to get the url of the sprite or picture (i find mine on google search) then you copy it, and then you go to the top bar of your posting editor screen and you click on the button that looks like a photo of a mountain and sun, or more easily found on the left of the smiley face button. You can drop the image there if you want to drag it from your files or from where you searched it or you'd want to click the chain where then you can paste the url and then it would display the image.

Hope this answered your needs, have a nice day!

about the hide tags (this is what they're called).
you do this.
View attachment 127760
the place where I wrote star wars spoiler is what the name of the box will be like in the picture you posted where it says clerics, pivots, or walls.

everything else about the tags (defined by whats inside these --> [ ]) should be like in the picture. The hide= and /hide parts are important to make the box or else it won't work. Be sure to also to close the tags with these [ ] or it won't work as well.

How'd my example would look like if I implemented it would be like this.

han solo dies!

About the sprites (the pixellated image), you need to get the url of the sprite or picture (i find mine on google search) then you copy it, and then you go to the top bar of your posting editor screen and you click on the button that looks like a photo of a mountain and sun, or more easily found on the left of the smiley face button. You can drop the image there if you want to drag it from your files or from where you searched it or you'd want to click the chain where then you can paste the url and then it would display the image.

Hope this answered your needs, have a nice day!
Thanks so much! Really speedy response too btw!

Conni

katharsis
Thanks so much! Really speedy response too btw!
No worries! If you also want to try the hide tags out but don't want to post or if you're unsure if you've done the tags correctly or not, you can use the preview button to have a preview about what you're about to post at the moment, so if there is something wrong you can go back and fix it or if you just want to see what you're about to post is going to look like before actually posting.

This might be a bit obvious but I'll leave this out here in case!

How do you do the thing when u post something in the bottom of the post there is like something. Like the post above by Connie has some things on the bottom.

How do you do the thing when u post something in the bottom of the post there is like something. Like the post above by Connie has some things on the bottom.
That's the signature. If you click on your name at the top of the screen, you should be able to see a button that says "signature." Click that and you will be able to insert text, sprites, links, pretty much whatever you want to put in there. Hope this helps!

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
If you get a name change your profile is locked for a month (including changing avatar) so that you're still recognizable to other users while they learn your new username (the ct is there for the same reason). You'll have to wait until the month is over then go back to the name change thread and request a profile unlock before you can change your avatar again.

A few questions:
-Are Mega stone usage stats kept track of in MnM?
-What does the staff ranking Operator do on pokemon showdown?

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
A few questions:
-Are Mega stone usage stats kept track of in MnM?
-What does the staff ranking Operator do on pokemon showdown?
Mega Stones are not tracked, just the mons themselves.
There is no rank "Operator", that's only on side servers as a custom rank.

When does the nomination stage for OMotM start? Is it standardized (e.g one week before the next month)? I noticed the past two months had it over a week before the next month, but I can't recall the exact dates.

Rainshaft

The fate of the story lies in your hands
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Can it be assumed that every person with both a Smogon and Pokemon Showdown account use the same name on both sites (in other words, is there a policy regarding the matchup of names on Smogon and Showdown)?

Is there a "Smogon Notepad" where I can write down stuff and keep it private? Personal Details does the same thing but it is publicly shown.
Asking for a friend. (I have to post some thread every week and I want it to be set up when I have extra time. Save Drafts blew up my thing 200+ times etc etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 7)