Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Can it be assumed that every person with both a Smogon and Pokemon Showdown account use the same name on both sites (in other words, is there a policy regarding the matchup of names on Smogon and Showdown)?
No. Some people for whatever reason don't use the same name (could be it is taken on one site, but not the other, different tastes in usernames if the two accounts were created at different times, etc). For the bigger names, you can usually find their PS name on Smogon account (if it is different).

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
Would someone be able to explain me how usually useless moves are choosen ?

ayedan

5 am in Toronto
I was trying to get a name change to the name aidan but it says its already taken. I try to look up the user but, it doesnt show up or even say "The user limits who looks at their profile". Can someone explain what is happening?

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Would someone be able to explain me how usually useless moves are choosen ?
Any move that few if anything ever would use in a competitive battle, like False Swipe or Fake Tears are considered usually useless. They're not listed as entirely useless because things like Z-Solar Beam Heatran see usage in OU, so they are listed as usually because they are more often than not useless. I know Curse is there but it probably shouldn't be to be honest.

I was trying to get a name change to the name aidan but it says its already taken. I try to look up the user but, it doesnt show up or even say "The user limits who looks at their profile". Can someone explain what is happening?
Probably XenForo search struggling with pre-2013 stuff like usualy. In either case Aidan is indeed taken: https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/aidan.106087/

Since Pokecheck, has any fake dns server for uploading pokemon and recording their stats automatically been made? If not, is it just not possible?

This a 2 seperate questions.
1. Has smogon ever thought about having a smogon app for google play and apple? I think it would make acessing this site easier on my phone.
2. On the about page, could the staff add a discord since people use that the most?

Where can I ask Pokemon-related questions?
If related to the pokemon games themselves ask in Orange Islands, if things like OU and other community based metagames try here.

Also I’m not sure if this is grantable but does anyone have a copy of X-Acts master thesis? He’s never on and the link is broken, but I’m highly interested in his field of mathematical branch. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Where are the farewell threads?
You can make one in Firebot/Cong of the Masses, or be like Chloe and do one in the OMs forum (not advised). I feel like I was kinda harsh to you, but you’re a good BH player and your wall is blocked so I’ll say bye here. Come back and visit ❤.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
You can make one in Firebot/Cong of the Masses, or be like Chloe and do one in the OMs forum (not advised). I feel like I was kinda harsh to you, but you’re a good BH player and your wall is blocked so I’ll say bye here. Come back and visit ❤.
Thank you. I will do it in the Firebot/Congregation of the Masses as you suggested.

I appreciate your kind words and taking ownership of what you said. I’ll post a final link in the smogon discord so people know where to look. Please let them know (I’ll link it in this post) in case they aren’t on when I send the link out.

Link: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-farewell-post.3639999/

Last edited:
Is there a reason why Smogon lets everyone see which users liked which posts? I've never seen another website like this (yes pun intended).

Is there a reason why Smogon lets everyone see which users liked which posts? I've never seen another website like this (yes pun intended).
I can't speak for every website, but I think this is fairly common and a benign feature to include. For just one example, Twitter lets you see what tweets other users like (both on individual tweets and through peoples's profiles). It likely also has to do with the template provided / hosting by XenForo - though that is just my guess

I have Thundurus and Tornadus codes I can give away, which board can go to to give them out? I tried Congregation of the Masses but it got deleted.

Is there anywhere to post about Gen 1 and 2 RNG and talk to people researching it or is that not really a thing on here at the moment? Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 4)