Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Please keep in mind that this is not an introduction thread, so do include relevant queries in your posts. You're more than welcome to ask questions regarding competitive battling, our forums in general, or how to get involved in a particular section of the website, and we'll be happy to help you out or direct you to the appropriate resource.
Where would you recommend I post an invitation to join a Pokemon League?

I'm not sure how much draw there is, but I wanted to see who might be interested, so I could try and get one going and off the ground.

The next Pokemon GL format is vgc19 or something. Let's say I want to build a rain team. I'm thinking mega swampert and kyogre. What's the best place to go to help build this team?

Why do Smogon formats usually prefer banning a Pokemon if banning a move, ability, or item also fixes a problem? Wouldn't it make more sense to ban whichever one affects "the metagame" the least aside from fixing the problem?

Why do Smogon formats usually prefer banning a Pokemon if banning a move, ability, or item also fixes a problem? Wouldn't it make more sense to ban whichever one affects "the metagame" the least aside from fixing the problem?
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/handling-broken-sets-with-z-moves.3588070/page-3#post-7110428

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/handling-broken-sets-with-z-moves.3588070/page-3#post-7111229

Essentially, it comes down to the fact that we tier Pokemon, not items; leftovers is not ou, so banning it from ou would not be the first resort.

I have done it in the past but can't seem to change my avatar atm. I recently got a name change, would that prevent me from changing my avatar? Is there a limit to the number of times you can change it?

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
I have done it in the past but can't seem to change my avatar atm. I recently got a name change, would that prevent me from changing my avatar? Is there a limit to the number of times you can change it?
yea once you get your profile unlocked after a month from your name change you should be able to change your avatar.

yea once you get your profile unlocked after a month from your name change you should be able to change your avatar.
Thanks, do I have to post in the name change thread again to get it unlocked or will it happen automatically?

Edit: Thanks for the help maroon

Last edited:
Can Necrozma ultra burst if a teammate has used a z-crystal already? Or is it just unable to use it's own z move afterwards?

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
didn't see a better place, so here's a suggestion:

in analyses, the pokemon listed in team options should be hyperlinked to their own analysis. as an example, it would look like this:

Fighting-type Pokemon that can remove Chansey, Clefable, and Registeel, such as Hitmonlee and Hariyama, are excellent teammates for Porygon2.
doing this for checks and counters too might work, although it could also create too much visual noise with all the links. just an idea i had that seemed convenient

Tol

Retirement house
Using !code in pms if it isn’t already a suggestion, it’s A. The easiest way to pass teams and B. I guess you could actually use it for code but who tf does that

This is the "self-KO clause" that's no longer effective, right?
Self-KO Clause: If a player uses a recoil move to cause a draw, that player wins. If a player uses Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song to cause a draw, that player loses. If a draw would be caused by a hold item or ability that causes recoil to the opponent, the player that controls the Pokémon with the hold item or ability wins.
What do we do now instead?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)