Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How does one become a moderator or forum leader?
A lot of requirements include:

* Dedication to your subforum with both quality and quantity.
* Making good judgment calls on situations that may not always end in both parties happily.
* Overall being active and engaging helps a lot.
* Good leadership skills overall.
* Above all else don't beg to be a moderator.

It all varies significantly from subforum to subforum, and the numbers will vary with traffic and what upper staff and forum leaders want.

Hello to everyone! I am new here so sorry if i posted in the wrong section... Well i dont have any handheld console right now and i want to dive in the competitive scene of pokemon... But i dont know what title should i get... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hello to everyone! I am new here so sorry if i posted in the wrong section... Well i dont have any handheld console right now and i want to dive in the competitive scene of pokemon... But i dont know what title should i get... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
If you're looking to play competitively on cartridge (through VGC or Battle Spot as an example) then you'd mostly likely want to go with Ultra Sun/Moon since that's what the current VGC format assumes. You could play competitive cart using Pokemon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, but the infrastructure there is less developed than the "mainline" games.

It's probably important to note that Generation 8 is planned for release this year, at which point a large amount of the cart metagames will commute from Gen 7 (USUM) to Gen 8.

If you're just looking to play competitive Pokemon in general (OU for example), basically all Smogon metagames use the battle simulator Pokemon Showdown to battle rather than playing on console for what are largely convenience reasons. It's pretty rare that people will play a metagame on cart, though I'm sure it does happen. Hope this helped.

According to this post, the current Official Metagames of Smogon (as in, not Core Metagames) are Monotype and Ubers. Have there ever been any other metagames that had the Official Metagame status? If so, which ones and when?

Reactions: gum
According to this post, the current Official Metagames of Smogon (as in, not Core Metagames) are Monotype and Ubers. Have there ever been any other metagames that had the Official Metagame status? If so, which ones and when?
When the concept of core metagames was first created, PU was not a core metagame and Ubers was. The past while has seen them switch places. Thus, Ubers was Core until recently and PU merely official for that same time period.

If you're looking to play competitively on cartridge (through VGC or Battle Spot as an example) then you'd mostly likely want to go with Ultra Sun/Moon since that's what the current VGC format assumes. You could play competitive cart using Pokemon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, but the infrastructure there is less developed than the "mainline" games.

It's probably important to note that Generation 8 is planned for release this year, at which point a large amount of the cart metagames will commute from Gen 7 (USUM) to Gen 8.

If you're just looking to play competitive Pokemon in general (OU for example), basically all Smogon metagames use the battle simulator Pokemon Showdown to battle rather than playing on console for what are largely convenience reasons. It's pretty rare that people will play a metagame on cart, though I'm sure it does happen. Hope this helped.
Well thanks for the Quick reply.. I am just a bit confused on what should i buy... I mean i want to enjoy a good pokemon game but i want to take it a step forward.. I want to play online and i want to play competitive... And i am looking for a big online community... Sorry for my bad english i hope i explained as accurate as possible... Thanks in advance!

I know this is TOO early for this question since we haven't even seen the new ones at all but... When Sword and Shield get released, are there any plans for updating the models for the older pokemon in pokemon showdown?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I know this is TOO early for this question since we haven't even seen the new ones at all but... When Sword and Shield get released, are there any plans for updating the models for the older pokemon in pokemon showdown?
They appear to be the same type of models that XY/SM have used. If thats the case no, theres no change to apply.

ive read that the damage calc uses truncated division at any step applicable. does the random part from .85 to 1 not truncate? does the .5 from a burn truncate?

The search feature from the Smogon Strategy Pokédex is "forbidden". When I search for something, it gives me a
403 Forbidden

Is there a certain place on smogon where advertising a draft league welcome?
There is not. Certain parts of Showdown may allow this, but you may be better off trying the subreddits or major draft league Discord servers (in the appropriate channels).

The search feature from the Smogon Strategy Pokédex is "forbidden". When I search for something, it gives me a
403 Forbidden
It does this for me too. Instead of using this search bar, click on the generation you want and type in what you are looking for there. To clarify, this is the search bar at the top of the page that doesn't work. The one on the left when on a Pokedex page works fine.

Will there ever be a simulator for Pokémon Go PvP battles?
These seems unlikely to happen due to the difference in nature between those fights and regular Pokemon battles. A non-Showdown simulator may appear one day, but as far as I can see there is nothing in the works and nothing planned.

Hey, so when I don't activate my account on Smogon, I notice there are some threads I can't access than when I can, such as Firebot, Trou du Cul (hilarious name btw), Tutee Talk on Battling 101, etc. Why is that? What makes it so guests cannot enter these unless they become a member?
Furthermore, what is the reasoning behind the fact that when I click on threads like "OM Submissions", "Flying Press Article Approvals" and Smogon Infraction Appeals, I get greeted with a message that says "There are no threads in this forum". What requirements are necessary to see those threads? And what does "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here" refer to and how do I get these privileges?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Furthermore, what is the reasoning behind the fact that when I click on threads like "OM Submissions", "Flying Press Article Approvals" and Smogon Infraction Appeals, I get greeted with a message that says "There are no threads in this forum". What requirements are necessary to see those threads?
These forums are private, basically it means that by default, members can only see threads that they created unless they have permission to see all threads. This is used for a variety of reasons, one common one is getting approval for something. An example of this is the PS admin request forums, anyone can post a thread to get in touch with PS upper staff, but only PS leaders and admins can see all threads. For admin requests, the reasoning is that its an easy way to talk to PS upper staff about sensetive or private topics such as password reset requests (involves info such as a user's location), complaints against PS staff, requesting a disabled PS name, requesting a server to be registered (email is needed for that), and requesting a chat room. It's also a catch all for anything else private/sensetive PS related.
And what does "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here" refer to and how do I get these privileges?
It means you cant reply to a thread, possibly because its locked and you arent a project mod/full mod for that forum, possibly because you lack permissions to reply to threads/post threads in that forum, the reason varies.

So... I've been playing within the Smogon metas for a bit on Showdown... and I was hoping that someone could answer this question for me:
What exactly are the different team strategies and how do each of them function? I've heard terms like Balanced and Hyper Offensive be thrown around when people take about teams but I don't know what each of these team types are and what is needed to make each of them work properly.

So... I've been playing within the Smogon metas for a bit on Showdown... and I was hoping that someone could answer this question for me:
What exactly are the different team strategies and how do each of them function? I've heard terms like Balanced and Hyper Offensive be thrown around when people take about teams but I don't know what each of these team types are and what is needed to make each of them work properly.
The easiest way to explain this is by how many Pokemon you have on your team with the intention of doing direct damage. Offense wins with a relentless beatdown, while stall wins by outlasting the opponent and not losing.

Generally you can view it as a spectrum of bulky Pokemon. Hyper offense has 6 generally frailer mons (or 5 and a bulkier suicide lead) with high offensive stats. These rely on getting rocks up and doing damage, often with set up. Webs, screens, rain, and Trick Room teams are generally these, although Trick Room teams are bulkier. Bulky offense is an offensive team with bulky Pokemon. A balanced team with have (usually 3 and 3) Pokemon that specialize in attacking and three that specialize in being walls. Semi-stall is the same, but with the numbers changed up: it has a potential offensive wincon. Full stall outbulks and outlasts the opponent, wearing them down more slowly. This is where you often see Pokemon with little offensive presence, such as in OU: Chansey, Skarmory, Mega-Sableye, and Avalugg (the former two can both sometimes be see on offensive teams, Chansey as the only wall and Skarmory as a suicide lead).

I have a question,
In Pokémon Showdown, is there a move able to take the control of a pokémon or able to exchange the pokémons?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have a question,
In Pokémon Showdown, is there a move able to take the control of a pokémon or able to exchange the pokémons?
U-turn and Volt Switch switch out the user, but there's no way for you to swap your mon with one of the opponent's mons for use, if I am reading correctly.

There is something like this in Super Staff Bros I think, but I am not sure if it does exactly that.

Reactions: gum

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Smogon seems to like unwatching me from threads whenever they go a day or two without posts.
Is there a way we could make it not do that? Or at least make it something each user can configure for themselves?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Smogon seems to like unwatching me from threads whenever they go a day or two without posts.
Is there a way we could make it not do that? Or at least make it something each user can configure for themselves?
Unless you can submit a fix to Xenforo, then no unfortunately. It's just one of those weird clunky downsides to the software we're using, along with other weird random things like tagging being shoddy in general and alerts sometimes disappearing if you log in from mobile and then from a laptop/desktop.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)