Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
i want a name on pokemon showdown but i get the message "Your username is no longer available." what does this mean and is there a way i can obtain the username??
That means the name is disabled. You can only get the name if you were the original owner, a smogon badgeholder, PS contributor, or Global Staff on PS.

Is there any place where I can talk about what the badge people are talking about in policy review? I don't have any badges.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Is there any place where I can talk about what the badge people are talking about in policy review? I don't have any badges.
You could get a badge.

Jokes aside, discussions like that happen in a place where contributors can talk for a reason. If you truly believe your input is unique and influential, you could potentially message someone who is active in the thread, possibly the owner of said thread and discuss it with them. If your opinion is of value, they will either post on your behalf (I'm not sure if that's allowed anymore) or they can post your thoughts indirectly.

Is there a way to get the username "Pano" on showdown? it says its taken but i've never seen it active in the 3 years i've played

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
Is there a way to get the username "Pano" on showdown? it says its taken but i've never seen it active in the 3 years i've played
no.
only badgeholders, PS devs, and global staff can claim names that are old and inactive.

Hey looking for some Gen 1 advice. Arcanine has really worked out well for me as an "anti"-lead, running Fire Blast, Body Slam, and Agility. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would make a good 4th move? Sub has just not really been useful for me. Also would help if anyone knows if submission nabs Sandslash any important OHKOs after a SD in Gen 1. Thanks for the help, keep Gen 1 OU alive!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/venusaur/

On here, Mega-Venusaur is in UUBL. But the first format that shows up is Ubers, is there a reason for that? Why doesn't OU show up first if that's the tier it's supposed to be in?
Kind of an oversight unfortunately. When a Pokemon's highest placed tier is a BL (banned from the lower tier but not enough usage for the higher tier), the default analysis given on the Dex is its highest viable metagame.

Hey, I have another question about the forums:
I just wanted to know what is the purpose of the Firebot and Trou du Cul threads and why non-members can't access them.

Hey, I have another question about the forums:
I just wanted to know what is the purpose of the Firebot and Trou du Cul threads and why non-members can't access them.
Those forums are like the dark underbelly of the website, those seedy corners you find in cities. In other words, Firebot is where all (most) of the stupidity takes place, and threads that are particularly dumb (usually not from Firebot) are moved to Trou.

Hello, i'm planning on hosting a tournament in my college, but the tournament command won't allow people to join while using the same wifi connection. Is there a way to host a private tournament that allows duplicate IPs to join? otherwise i won't be able to join the tournament anymore.
Thank you and sorry if i posted on wrong place.

Hello, i'm planning on hosting a tournament in my college, but the tournament command won't allow people to join while using the same wifi connection. Is there a way to host a private tournament that allows duplicate IPs to join? otherwise i won't be able to join the tournament anymore.
Thank you and sorry if i posted on wrong place.
It is not possible using the Showdown tournament script as far as I'm aware but you could use another webside like https://challonge.com or even writing their names on letters and randomize them to make the tournament brackets and let players challenge each other manually.

It is not possible using the Showdown tournament script as far as I'm aware but you could use another webside like https://challonge.com or even writing their names on letters and randomize them to make the tournament brackets and let players challenge each other manually.
Indeed, that's the way we'll do it. We planned on using our own custom rules, like "no mythical or legendaries allowed".
We tried to use Custom Game mode, but it would let people use pokémon with 9999hp or something like that.
We'll work it out with the Singles and Doubles OU format. Thank You for replying.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hi,it appears to me that a lot of people are blocking me simply for speaking. any reasons as to why? and fi yuo don't want casual gamers here then why don't you just state that? it seems that there's a preference for ''experts''only. please explain? btw I already read the ''philosophy''.
It's generally not appreciated to post on people's walls with random stuff if you don't know that person already, particularly if you're responding to things that are months old on said profiles.

It has nothing to do with you being a "casual gamer" it's because you're doing a rough equivalent of sending random text messages to strangers which is generally met by being blocked.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
talking gets you blocked?did you make these ''rules'' up just now? I'm curious. I have no sent anything offensive. sheesh if you really only want a certain type of gamer on here then just say so instead of insulting random people. btw I dont' see how saying hi is harming anyone. jsut sya you don't want me here, that's clearly what you are trying to say
it's not a rule, it's just what some people do.
It's not discrimination, people just find random messages weird.
He wasn't trying to insult you, he's just stating what people think.
No one is trying to offend you here.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I am sorry. sorry to bother anyone. I only just joined, please understand. I didn't try to do anything wrong. tell me what I was meant to do instead? I don't understand yet
Find a part of the forum that interests you. From what I can tell, Orange Islands (the non-competitive discussion forum) is probably closest to what you're looking for. Start by reading the rules then go check out the various threads to see if anything is appealing to you.

If nothing there speaks to you, go look around the other forums until you find something that you find interesting and then get involved.

On a different note, some general forum etiquette stuff (and this is something basically internet-wide) is that bumping dead threads by posting in them with something completely unrelated to the thread in question is discouraged beyond belief, and that double/triple posting isn't allowed generally (use the edit button if you want to add to your post).

Blocking isn't a punishment, it's just that many people don't want somebody they don't know from prior interactions posting on their walls with something pointless.

Welcome to Smogon.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
because it msut be pointless if it's coming from me, right? but totnas can say whatever he likes then?double standards! I didn't do anything wrong
No one is saying you did anything wrong. We're just trying to answer your question and help you get "settled in" a bit, so to speak.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[
why so many rules? what are you afraid of? that people might have a different opinion?oh heaven forbid someone might think for themselves!
Rules are not necessarily in place to prevent others from their opinion, but to help create a forum environment that doesn't reek of chaos due to random one liners that don't belong in a thread, prevention of constant harassment of users, to help create positive discussion...

...and in your case specifically, to prevent a thread from being flooded by posts that can be condensed into one post instead of posting 2-3 times.

Perhaps it would be best for you to sit back, think things through a bit more carefully, and remember personal boundaries as well as proper forum etiquette. After all, I think if you did not want to be bothered by someone and I decided to constantly flood your PMs and wall with posts it would eventually cause a chain reaction to where you would want to ignore that person. Not everyone is as approachable as you want them to be.

Quick question: there was recently the decision to completely ban Sand Veil from the DPP OU. This also results in the ban of mons mentioned here. Therefore, are these 6 mons technically Ubers? We would be in the same situation with Shadow Tag (Wynaut and Wobbuffet), but the message on Showdown is different:
Unfortunately the ruling means that yes, these Pokemon are banned in gen4 OU (shouldn't be in lower tiers) because that is their only ability. Because the ability is banned and not the Pokemon, the message on Showdown is correct (although Wynaut and Wobbufett are banned solely because of Shadow Tag). There was a time this also applied to Froslass (Snow Cloak being banned), but that has since been revoked.

Because these Pokemon are usable in tiers lower than OU (including LC), they fall into those tiers regardless of this ban as transivity is supposed to be broken such that metagames like gen4 NU where Sandslash, Cacturne, and Gabite are usable are not effected a decade after they were last popularly played.

What exactly happens when a user has the CT "I COULD BE BANNED!" despite, you know, being close to being banned from Smogon? What exactly changes for them?
Sorry for the multiple Q's, these forums are more complicated then I thought.

Reactions: gum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 16)