Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What exactly happens when a user has the CT "I COULD BE BANNED!" despite, you know, being close to being banned from Smogon? What exactly changes for them?
Sorry for the multiple Q's, these forums are more complicated then I thought.
"I COULD BE BANNED!" is a custom warning for forum users that have received 3 infraction points for rule-breaking offenses.
If the users in question keep ignoring this last warning and still misbehave, they will receive a 4th infraction point, resulting in an imminent ban.
Once these users have been banned, their username will be crossed through and their previous custom warning will be changed to "Banned deucer."

More information about Smogon's Global Rules can be found here.
More information about Smogon's Warnings can be found here.

I hope that this answered your question.

Last edited:
Yes it did and I have one more. How do I know if I am Wi-Fi blacklisted? i.e. What does it mean and how does it show up on your profile?

Reactions: gum

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Yes it did and I have one more. How do I know if I am Wi-Fi blacklisted? i.e. What does it mean and how does it show up on your profile?
From our blacklist thread:
WiFi Blacklist

Everyone here lied about trading hacked or scammed and that's why they're here (although most are banned). Users on this list are not allowed to operate trade threads nor giveaways.
Basically if you scam users or break the Wi-Fi rules, you may be blacklisted in the subforum (it is possible to work your way off the list by being helpful in the subforum). If you haven't done so and don't see your name on the list, then you aren't on the blacklist. Blacklisted users receive a red CT of "Wi-Fi Blacklisted", much like the "I could be banned" and "banned duecer" CT's. For an example, click on someone's username on the list to see what I mean.

Being blacklisted doesn't contribute any points toward being banned from the site, which MO talked about above.

edit: clarified how to get off list

Thanks and sorry again, but these spoilers are REALLY ANNOYING. How exactly do you make so that when you want to post two different sets of a Pokemon, they don't get merged into one spoiler? I have been having that problem for forever and I'm starting to get pissed off.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Thanks and sorry again, but these spoilers are REALLY ANNOYING. How exactly do you make so that when you want to post two different sets of a Pokemon, they don't get merged into one spoiler? I have been having that problem for forever and I'm starting to get pissed off.
I'm almost 100% sure you're missing a bracket if you're doing something like that. Make sure all of these "[ ]" start and end in the right place. It's either that, or you don't close your spoiler/quote correctly. They should end with [/QUOTE], or something like that if applicable. If it gets too messy, if possible, save your work inside the hidetext and start over.

Thank you, Coconut for the help. It worked this time.
I know I may come across as annoying when I don't know how to work things you may find simple, but I'm a newcomer to Smogon, and I'm afraid of criticism I may receive from mods or staff if I don't come across as professional. There are many things in here I don't understand, but I am often too scared of mods and other Smogon staff b/c they may patronize or insult me for asking. And I do NOT take non-constrictive criticism well. My biggest fear is getting those red CTs so my status will be reduced on Smogon or even worse, getting the truly horrible title of "Banned deucer". I only have 2 followers on this account and have no friends on my Discord profile, so I often seem upset and lonely, seeing as I have no other followers to chat with. I just want to hopefully feel more welcome in the community, similar to Megafritz on page 56, so that I don't come across as an idiot who doesn't understand Smogon.
Thank you all.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
If you found Megafritz's post, you've likely also read the advice other users gave. So I won't reiterate on that. If you haven't, then read the next few posts!

Mods can tell the difference between when people screw up (we all do) and those who are "bad eggs", so I wouldn't worry too much. Best advice I can give is find a community you're interesting in and try to get involved--whether that be in the forums, discord, or PS (the main Smogon discord may be a good play to start since it's a catch-all). Familiarize yourself with the rules, lurk a bit, and then muster up the courage to post! It'll take time to blend with the Smogon culture, but we all had to do that. I'm sure you'll find people here are actually quite nice. Mods are users just like you and I hope Coconut and I have shown that we don't bite.

With that said, this is the internet. You'll almost assuredly find some non-constructive criticism or personalities that you don't mesh with. Be prepared for that. Should you land yourself an infraction one day, it's not the end of the world nor does it mean you're on the slippery slope to being banned. Many mods+ and badged users have had one. All-in-all, try not to take everything personally, try to relax and have fun, and give yourself time to adapt.

If you haven't been already, allow me to be the first to welcome you to Smogon! ^_^

How do I delete my forum account? I was going through my old accounts. Never use this forum anymore. Can't find a way to delete it under my account settings.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
How do I delete my forum account? I was going through my old accounts. Never use this forum anymore. Can't find a way to delete it under my account settings.
Xenforo lacks that functionality for non-admin panel users. It's also rather unwanted since deleting accounts with posts tends to mess up the search functions and can do some really wacky things when the user has made threads. And then there's also the headache of people deleting their account by mistake, or asking for it and then changing their mind, and there is no functionality at all to restore accounts.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Why were new avatars implemented into PS? Like what made the staff change their minds about it? I thought the previous decision was against it.

Is there still no public thread for battle factory on PS? Would be nice if it finally had one like random battles does.

Hey, as I scrolled through forums, I noticed how some non-badges users have CTs. How is that possible? I thought only badged users could have a CT. And no, I'm not talking about "formerly blah-blah" titles, I'm talking about actual CTs.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hey, as I scrolled through forums, I noticed how some non-badges users have CTs. How is that possible? I thought only badged users could have a CT. And no, I'm not talking about "formerly blah-blah" titles, I'm talking about actual CTs.
They are likely won through an official competition or similar (like some events in the Trivia room on PS and WGO offered CTs as rewards).

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The other likely reason is that they used to have a badge, but don't any longer. Some badges are activity-based before they reach a certain threshold to be rewarded with an alumnus badge. Community Contributor, Tutor, and Ladybug (which doesn't reward an alumnus at all) being examples.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
A rather trivial question, but I just got to know: why do some people have a negative reaction score and how do you even achieve that? I've noticed it's always the newly created accounts, so does that have something to do with it?

Asek

Banned deucer.
A rather trivial question, but I just got to know: why do some people have a negative reaction score and how do you even achieve that? I've noticed it's always the newly created accounts, so does that have something to do with it?
i believe angry reacts yield -1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)