Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

When typing out a post, if you click the button that is a capital A, it lets you change the font family between 8 font types, including Arial and Times New Roman.
I know, but I'm talking about the possibility to import more fonts, like IMPACT or Comic Sans.

I've been on Smogon a while, but I still can't figure this out. Why are there such strict rules on name changes and deleting accounts? I can think of at least a couple for the name change ones, but why on account deletion?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I've been on Smogon a while, but I still can't figure this out. Why are there such strict rules on name changes and deleting accounts? I can think of at least a couple for the name change ones, but why on account deletion?
If your account is deleted, your posts go down with it, which can make some forum threads you posted in bug out.

For name changes, it’s a combination of multiple reasons.

The obvious one is we don’t want people frivolously changing names over and over to avoid user confusion and request flooding, so we typically give one name change or two maximum for special cases.

We also require 100 posts as an admittedly arbitrary line to make sure the user is actually active on Smogon, again reducing the number of requests to users who would really appreciate the change, something we’re happy to accommodate.

We do not allow currently infracted users or otherwise currently punished users to change their names to avoid letting them escape to a new identity before their infraction is over.

We only allow badgeholders to take existing names as a perk and a thank you for their contributions, since it is a bigger deal than changing to an unused name. However, we require the existing username to not have been used in a significant amount of time in order to be somewhat sure we aren’t bumping an active user off their chosen name. We also require that the user not have been active during their time so as to not mess with history and also because previously active users are more likely to return in the future than those who only posted twice.

A lot of the name change rules may seem arbitrary but I feel they’re fair to both the users and the staff.

Oh, ok. But what if you get banned? Do they just deal with it then?
Your existing posts are not affected if your account is banned, so there’s no issue there.

Thanks. Now, when I create a thread:
  1. how do I lock it if stuff gets too out of hand or the thread is dead?
  2. how do I move it from one place to another? Say I post a thread in Gen 7 Pet Mods, but when Gen 8 comes, I want to post it in the Gen 8 Pet Mods thread, if there is one.

Thanks. Now, when I create a thread:
  1. how do I lock it if stuff gets too out of hand or the thread is dead?
  2. how do I move it from one place to another? Say I post a thread in Gen 7 Pet Mods, but when Gen 8 comes, I want to post it in the Gen 8 Pet Mods thread, if there is one.
You ask a moderator.

Reactions: gum
I've posted this in wrong section (Technical Projects)... reposting:

Hi, I'm wondering... Why not add EV yield to the Dex, since one of the focus of competitive is EV training? This is already available, i.e. bulbapedia, and I believe it is simple to implement. Easy to put on a sheet, easy to put in a sql insert, and just a single line insertion on pokemon page. I was playing today and suddenly realize the lot of info to know during gameplay/battles: foes types, stats, ev yield, and so on. The most of it, smogon can handle.. but the ev yield I have to open another page to search for twice. Since i have made a dex frontend app this week for android, as i've said n the other post, using it while i'm playing, I believe this will help a lot everyone! So.. why not?

Attachments

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader

Hi, I'm wondering... Why not add EV yield to the Dex, since one of the focus of competitive is EV training? This is already available, i.e. bulbapedia, and I believe it is simple to implement. Easy to put on a sheet, easy to put in a sql insert, and just a single line insertion on pokemon page. I was playing today and suddenly realize the lot of info to know during gameplay/battles: foes types, stats, ev yield, and so on. The most of it, smogon can handle.. but the ev yield I have to open another page to search for twice. Since i have made a dex frontend app this week for android, as i've said n the other post, using it while i'm playing, I believe this will help a lot everyone! So.. why not?
I believe the reason is that Smogon is meant for playing on a battle sim where the EV trained Pokémon are readily available. EV yield is essentially irrelevant when it comes to competitive battling itself, which is where Smogon's focus lies, not on breeding or EV training Pokémon like you'd have to do on cartridge.

I believe the reason is that Smogon is meant for playing on a battle sim where the EV trained Pokémon are readily available. EV yield is essentially irrelevant when it comes to competitive battling itself, which is where Smogon's focus lies, not on breeding or EV training Pokémon like you'd have to do on cartridge.
Smogon is the place from where a lot of people copy or inspire their training/competition structure, since Smogon furnishes not only the guides but examples of how to train your choosed pokemon. If you have the curiosity sometime to look into the Smogon Dex, you will see, ie. in Charizard page BW, that he can be trained in four different setups. So it is not "just playing with already trained pokemon". A lot of people play "on cartridge" using this information. I think what you said is refered to Pokemon Showdown.

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader

This is doable if we had lists of the EV yield for each Pokemon in an easily processed format. I won't promise it will be done soon, but if you can give an accurate source (that is easy to process) for yield in gen 3-7 it would be a lot quicker to get this done than otherwise. We just don't have this information laying around sadly.

This is doable if we had lists of the EV yield for each Pokemon in an easily processed format. I won't promise it will be done soon, but if you can give an accurate source (that is easy to process) for yield in gen 3-7 it would be a lot quicker to get this done than otherwise. We just don't have this information laying around sadly.
https://github.com/jpirnat/dex/blob/master/data/ev_yields.csv
Here's a csv file of EV yields, structured to be imported into a relational database. And the supporting files with the mappings of version groups, Pokémon, and stats. Most of the data is from Bulbapedia.

(Disclaimer: this is from my own dex data compilation project. Not trying to self advertise; just fulfilling the data request because I happened to have it)

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
https://github.com/jpirnat/dex/blob/master/data/ev_yields.csv
Here's a csv file of EV yields, structured to be imported into a relational database. And the supporting files with the mappings of version groups, Pokémon, and stats. Most of the data is from Bulbapedia.

(Disclaimer: this is from my own dex data compilation project. Not trying to self advertise; just fulfilling the data request because I happened to have it)
Thanks for the offer, but this isn't quite accurate enough for what we need. For example (thanks Merritt) Roselia gave 1 SpA EV in Gen 3, but 2 SpA EVs in Gen 4. See https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/315.shtml and https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/315.shtml

Thanks for the offer, but this isn't quite accurate enough for what we need. For example (thanks Merritt) Roselia gave 1 SpA EV in Gen 3, but 2 SpA EVs in Gen 4. See https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/315.shtml and https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/315.shtml
I think... since each generation have his own pokemon description page, EV yields can be included first for the newest generations(and the most difficult part of structuring the database design and front-end changes), this really do not make so much difference for who is playing, because the EV can vary one point or another, but still in the same STAT. In this particular case, Roselia change to 2 point on Gen4 because Budew was included in the evolution chain to be the first (so, 1 ev) as well as Roserade show up with 3EV. Nevertheless, I will still looking for a more complete information including oldest gen. Thank you for valuing the suggestion.

UPDATE:
Is not just two occurrences.
As follow:

Pokemon​
HP​
AT​
DE​
SA​
SD​
SP​
Roselia
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
Gen3​
Roselia
0​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
Gen4​
Misdreavus
0​
0​
0​
1​
1​
0​
Gen3​
Misdreavus
0​
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
Gen4​
Shaymin (Land Forme)
3​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Gen4​
Shaymin (Sky Forme)
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
3​
Watchog
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
BW​
Watchog
0​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
BW2​
Aegislash (Shield Forme)
0​
0​
2​
0​
1​
0​
Aegislash (Blade Forme)
0​
2​
0​
1​
0​
0​
Ninetales
0​
0​
0​
1​
1​
0​
Gen4​
Ninetales
0​
0​
0​
0​
1​
1​
Gen5​

Until now

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been suggested before, but a method to favourite/star certain formats under the long list of tiers would be helpful, it's not a massive hassle searching for the specific tier at the moment, but it would be a quicker and more streamlined way to choose the tier u want to battle someone in.

Whenever I want to look for DPP UU tournaments, I have to search the RoA subforum, UU subforum, and tournaments subforum. Is there any way to see a list of all tournaments that have open signups and possibly also filter that list by format?
Nevertheless, I will still looking for a more complete information including oldest gen.
Between generations 4 and 5, Ninetales's yield changed from 1 SpA, 1 SpD to 1 SpD, 1 Spe. I don't think you're missing anything else.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Whenever I want to look for DPP UU tournaments, I have to search the RoA subforum, UU subforum, and tournaments subforum. Is there any way to see a list of all tournaments that have open signups and possibly also filter that list by format?
On the main page you would always just search for "Signups" and search titles only (assuming whoever is hosting spells it as signups and not sign-ups).

Otherwise no, not really. It used to be required to host all tournaments within the Tournaments forum, but in order to generate traffic elsewhere, to not be bound by the Tournaments forums' approval process, and to create a stronger sense of community we started allowing tournaments to be hosted in the metagame forums. The side effect of course being people now have to look multiple places to see what all tournaments are happening across the forum if that is their major goal when using the forums.

RoA does post a schedule of their RoA nights ahead of time so that you can join the room on the night you want to play some DPP (UU not being guaranteed although considering its popularity a good chance).

Member from long time ago. I used to have a trade thread here on Smogon, and the link can be found in my profile. Is there anyway to view an old cached version or find the contents of said trade thread?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 5)