Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Is there a thread for replays/comments on funny battles? I remember seeing a thread about humorous battles way back in 2014. Looked in the showdown subforum but didn't see it.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
One more thing. Can somebody send me a link to the place where you see stuff like "best thread", " best users" ect? I forgot how to get there as it has been such a long time

Reactions: pqs
I follow many members who have the site staff badge, but they do not normally show up in the "Staff online" area on the main forum page. Like for example, I follow Moutemoute, and a cake wearing a hat, and they are both online currently. They both have the site staff badge, and are listed as site staff when you click on the "Staff online" link, but they do not show up as online like how it shows someone like finchinator when he is online. I'm clearly missing something and am just really curious why this is
Screenshot_2019-08-10 Smogon Forums.png

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I follow many members who have the site staff badge, but they do not normally show up in the "Staff online" area on the main forum page. Like for example, I follow Moutemoute, and a cake wearing a hat, and they are both online currently. They both have the site staff badge, and are listed as site staff when you click on the "Staff online" link, but they do not show up as online like how it shows someone like finchinator when he is online. I'm clearly missing something and am just really curious why this is
Site Staff is something different than forum staff, the "Staff online" section shows the latter. Site Staff do not have the same privileges as forum staff, what it denotes mostly relates to articles and smogdex analyses. See this thread for more information on what site staff do.

Site Staff is something different than forum staff, the "Staff online" section shows the latter. Site Staff do not have the same privileges as forum staff, what it denotes mostly relates to articles and smogdex analyses. See this thread for more information on what site staff do.
Is their a list somewhere of all of the forum staff members?

Can you guys change the color of the PS Battle Simulator Moderator badge? It looks the same as that of its alumni counterpart, and it's difficult to make out the difference....

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Can you guys change the color of the PS Battle Simulator Moderator badge? It looks the same as that of its alumni counterpart, and it's difficult to make out the difference....
It was changed not too long ago even, to make the difference larger than what it was before. A grey badge when active will be similar to its alumned grey variant, not that much more you can do without moving away from the visuals of the badge it was based on.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
It might be worthwhile to make the boulder badge appear at the front before Tutor so that they're harder to confuse with any actual greyed ones at the end of the list. It wouldn't violate the rainbow order since it's just gray. The distinction falls flat once you get to a scroller, but still.

About Reactions: I have lately been getting "angry" reactions to ideas and contributions, but when the user responsible for those reactions explained their reasoning, it came to my attention that Anger is being misused to communicate disapproval or disgust. I would like to suggest adding another reaction (or two). Namely:
Disgust. Probably portrayed by a Lickitung, Lickilicky, Shellder, Gligar, or Seel face. Communicates in essence that "this post has poor taste."
Alternatively:
1. Yes. Portrayed by Plusle. Positive response.
2. No. Portrayed by Minun. Negative response.

Considering the reason for this post, if anybody reacts as "angry" it will not be interpreted as "disgusted" or "disapproving," but as "this post fills me with rage" and "you got have some audacious nerve to even suggest that."

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
About Reactions: I have lately been getting "angry" reactions to ideas and contributions, but when the user responsible for those reactions explained their reasoning, it came to my attention that Anger is being misused to communicate disapproval or disgust. I would like to suggest adding another reaction (or two). Namely:
Disgust. Probably portrayed by a Lickitung, Lickilicky, Shellder, Gligar, or Seel face. Communicates in essence that "this post has poor taste."
Alternatively:
1. Yes. Portrayed by Plusle. Positive response.
2. No. Portrayed by Minun. Negative response.

Considering the reason for this post, if anybody reacts as "angry" it will not be interpreted as "disgusted" or "disapproving," but as "this post fills me with rage" and "you got have some audacious nerve to even suggest that."
Angry emote is prob the one that's closest to a straight up dislike reaction, as that's a pretty common thing you would want to be able to use, but rarely has been able to use across a multitude of social platforms. The standard reaction system from XenForo's update that added them are pretty obviously based on that which Facebook currently uses, so we've simply just stuck with that as of now, although with Pokémon appropriate variants. A disgust emote seems considerably more harsh and heavy handed than an angry emote ever could in my opinion, as it makes it sound like it's a post that should be dealt with by a moderator instead.

Right now the react system is just being on a bit of a trial period, with a possible revamp in the future.

If there's one thing that makes me mad, besides seeing one person demean another, it is when my ideas are dismissed as sub-standard or unworthy of consideration. I'm a smart guy, exceptionally strong with problem solving and critical thinking. I appreciate somebody taking time to explain how the reaction system works, but for people to react with 'angry' as they did when I explained how that would be interpreted, that's just cruel. It doesn't help that the person who "loved" it has a name that stands for "Please Quit Showdown."
My next step will be to suggest to Facebook that it do the same. However little I use Facebook, anytime I react to something, I often find that the right reaction is not an option. Disgust is a way of saying "this does not please me" without saying "this displeases me." It's the "I've read this, but you can count me out" reaction.

EDIT: pqs, is there a reason you broadcast this now as your signature? Not that I have a problem with that, just curious.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)