Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
If there's one thing that makes me mad, besides seeing one person demean another, it is when my ideas are dismissed as sub-standard or unworthy of consideration. I'm a smart guy, exceptionally strong with problem solving and critical thinking. I appreciate somebody taking time to explain how the reaction system works, but for people to react with 'angry' as they did when I explained how that would be interpreted, that's just cruel. It doesn't help that the person who "loved" it has a name that stands for "Please Quit Showdown."
My next step will be to suggest to Facebook that it do the same. However little I use Facebook, anytime I react to something, I often find that the right reaction is not an option. Disgust is a way of saying "this does not please me" without saying "this displeases me." It's the "I've read this, but you can count me out" reaction.
I'm not really dismissing your idea if that's what you're getting at, just giving my own take on it, as I'm not the one that makes the final decision on the react system anyway. My last part is just trying to briefly skip over the amount of turmoil that has happened quite recently behind the scenes to the new pokemon themed reactions, as well as the react system as a whole. They made some fixes to their implementation, but not much else. So that's why prob nothing will happen with it in the near future.

i can see now why people react to your posts with "angry" and you have a negative post:reaction score ratio
Is it because I have ADHD and social skill deficits that I am trying to overcome to seemingly no avail? Or that I have a Math Processing Disorder that impedes my ability to make inferences when processing information given to me in paragraph form?
Until my last post, there was only one person reacting with "angry" to anything I did.
I mentioned you because learning what your name stood for came off as "User: Scram_U_Dont_Belong_Here loved your post." Mixed vibes.

But now that you're legit angry, it doesn't come off that way.
Why is internet social media so spiteful these days?

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
The current discussion is closer to "Should we remove reactions entirely" than "What more reactions should we have". As such, until the actual long-term details have been set in stone there's not going to be any new reactions added for any reason.

You're entirely entitled to suggesting things; we do check here from time to time for things, but you shouldn't expect it to lead anywhere just because you think it's a good idea. That's has nothing with you as a person, that's just how things are.

You're entirely entitled to suggesting things; we do check here from time to time for things, but you shouldn't expect it to lead anywhere just because you think it's a good idea. That's has nothing with you as a person, that's just how things are.
Thank you. Lately it has seemed that most of my ideas get blown off. It hurts especially when rejecters beat me down for fun or for otherwise unexplained reasons. And consequently I am down-voted when I follow the advice they give after I request how I could improve.

EDIT: Oh, look. Another person who is going to react as 'angry' to my posts forever. Lovely, pqs. :psygrump:
EDIT: And another. Legit reacting as "angry" to everything I've ever done. Lux92, good for you. Hope it's worth your time.
EDIT (after shiny finder's post): Seems like Kaif missed the memo.

Last edited:

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
The current discussion is closer to "Should we remove reactions entirely" than "What more reactions should we have". As such, until the actual long-term details have been set in stone there's not going to be any new reactions added for any reason.

Just want to make a point that honestly, I feel as if we only needed likes. You can disagree, not like I'm a medival king or anything, but I feel as if the only reaction we should even have is likes.

Is there a way to be invisible to certain users, to prevent aimless anger reactions like this from happening?

And of course Lux92 is not the only one doing this. There's also Kaif now.

There should be a limit to how many reactions a person can perform in a day, or at least an hour. Or even per minute would be effective.

Attachments

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
All right guys enough with the trolling, derailing the thread aside. Friendly reminder of the global rules:

Outside of "Firebot Development Lab", trolling is not allowed. This means keep purely joke posts and one word replies out of the serious forums. If you do not have something substantial to contribute to a thread, do not bother posting. Just think to yourself, "Does my post add something to this thread?" If the answer is no, think twice about hitting that submit button.
Goes for the posts and spamming angry.

Is there a way to be invisible to certain users, to prevent aimless anger reactions like this from happening?
Not that I know of. Ignoring the specific users and setting your profile to be private may help (think this link will work), but it won't stop them from being able to react to your posts. If it really starts getting out of hand, you could consider asking a senior staff member to get involved. In the meantime, do what you can personally to ignore them. People are just trying to get a reaction out of you, no pun intended.

Can the Preview button not look like the Cancel button when editing a post? As in, can Cancel have a darker shade of blue or Preview have a lighter shade of blue? Something like this: (Sorry for the crappy edit)

It's just that I keep on accidentally clicking Cancel when I mean to click Preview so that I can check if everything in my post is ok. I keep loosing edits to this.

Is there a place on Smogon to watch high-level tournament replays?
Every major tournament, in the respective forum, will have a replay thread. Some matches will of course be better than others, but all are stored there.

After tournaments, specific replays are featured in the Flying Presss articles about them. Otherwise, Smogon is working on bringing more attention to these, with the Replay Vault (not only tournament games) and future live streaming.

blunder's Youtube channel, as well as others I can't remember offhand, also sometimes feature high profile battles.

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Ok, maybe kind of stupid question, but, how do I mention someone? Im still being new on posts and when people answer to my posts idk how to mention them
:psynervous:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Ok, maybe kind of stupid question, but, how do I mention someone? Im still being new on posts and when people answer to my posts idk how to mention them
:psynervous:
@ then the username right after it, no spaces. So, if you wanted to tag me, it would look like @/Estronic (without the backslash of course) when typing it.

pqs

Banned deucer.
Is there a way to change your avatar to another b/w gif without the sprite bleeding through halfway into the animation? For example i'm using slowbro right now and its fine because its my default avatar but when i go onto bwani and take a sprite from there it ends up losing like half of the animation in the second half

Is there a way to change your avatar to another b/w gif without the sprite bleeding through halfway into the animation? For example i'm using slowbro right now and its fine because its my default avatar but when i go onto bwani and take a sprite from there it ends up losing like half of the animation in the second half
The url of your current slowking avatar gives https://www.smogon.com/forums/media/avatars/slowpoke.gif.m.1 . I do not know what the m.1 part does but you can try switching out the name and save a gif straight from the source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 7)