Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

I don't know if this belongs here but I have an Idea for the timer problem on smogtours and would like to know if it is even feasible. Is it possible to add a special challenge function for tournament games(kinda like in spl x with the background) and have that be the only format in which the timer is auto on?

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I want to try to make some suggestions for changes within smogon, particularly their means of handling infraction appeals, so that situations like mine where an appeal is not replied to whatsoever for a long time (a month plus in my case) and particularly is not approved or denied before the infraction/ban wears off.

Simple question that might have a simple answer. Why isn't Stealth Rock banned? It seems very centralizing and unhealthy for the metagame. Every team carries it and a counter to it. It lowers tons of Pokemon's viability single-handedly, specifically anything weak to Rock (god forbid being 4x weak)
Anyone want to explain this? It kinda turns me off from Smogon.

I'd also like an answer to the "why isn't Stealth Rocks banned" question. I'm not of the opinion that I should be banned, but on paper, it does seem kinda banworthy, as it's basically the Primal Groudon of moves, except it applies to all tiers and not just Ubers. The best argument I've heard is that it would change the game WAY too much, but that argument on its own has never really set right with me.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Simple question that might have a simple answer. Why isn't Stealth Rock banned? It seems very centralizing and unhealthy for the metagame. Every team carries it and a counter to it. It lowers tons of Pokemon's viability single-handedly, specifically anything weak to Rock (god forbid being 4x weak)
Here's the three Policy Review threads entirely about Stealth Rock, they cover most of the common arguments both for and against banning Stealth Rock. Ordered oldest to most recent (I may have missed one, but I think this is all of em).

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stealth-rock-the-most-harmful-move-in-the-metagame.42211/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stealth-rock.81700/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/can-we-talk-about-stealth-rock.3585730/

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Don't ban what isn't broken. There is a lot of counterplay to Stealth Rock, be it in the form of hazard removal (Defog or Rapid Spin) or prevention (Taunt or Magic Bounce), which allows for more strategy and playmaking in the game.
Hazards are a necessary evil. They deter mindless switching (and Regenerator healing) and also make it so that Focus Sash should not be spammed but exclusively utilized in the lead role.
Fire-, Ice- and Flying-type Pokémon, some of the biggest victims to Stealth Rock, are strong in their own right considering Fire and Ice are two of the best offensive types in the game and Flying-types are immune to the ubiquitous Earthquake and (Toxic) Spikes (I admit Bug-types are a bit shafted).
Essentially, hazard control is part of the metagame and, while it may seem centralizing or annoying to deal with, adds more to the health of the metagame than it takes away, at least if you ask me.

When inserting images to a post, is there any way for it not to show up as an attachment at the bottom of a post? I'm currently doing a let's play, and some images will show up in the post and some will show up in the post and attached to the bottom of the post as well. I use the "Insert image" button and not the "Attach files" button by the way. Thank you.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
When inserting images to a post, is there any way for it not to show up as an attachment at the bottom of a post? I'm currently doing a let's play, and some images will show up in the post and some will show up in the post and attached to the bottom of the post as well. I use the "Insert image" button and not the "Attach files" button by the way. Thank you.
files that you upload directly from your computer via the "drop image (or click here)" button are automatically stored as attachments because they aren't accessible through any url. any image that goes to a url instead, like :bulbasaur: or use of the "by url" button isn't stored as an attachment.

basically, if you don't want attachments, upload the images to imgur or something, then use the imgur links in the post instead of direct uploads.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but does anyone know why the @protonmail.com email domain is banned?

(I couldn't use my actual email address when registering this account because of the ban, so I had to use a dummy email instead. I'd love it if I could use my actual email, but I understand if that isn't possible.)

Asked this on PS but got iffy responses, so asking again: will the Gen 8 random battles ladder be up within a few (3-4) days of the release of Sword/Shield?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Asked this on PS but got iffy responses, so asking again: will the Gen 8 random battles ladder be up within a few (3-4) days of the release of Sword/Shield?
We don't know. It not only depends on how quickly we can program generation 8, which relies on how quickly we can get data and mechanics information. After we get Gen 8 up we have to program the team/set generator, and this isn't super high priority at the time of a generations release. I'd say within a month but I have no idea.

Hello, this is my first post here!

Is there any sort of introduction thread here? I wanted to do a bit of a more "composed" introduction post, and searched for threads about introduction of new users, but the only one I found had its most recent post from 2016. Is there a more recent one?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's a simple question!
Well, 2.
1 - can you change your username
2 - how can I become more involved in smogon.
Greetings and welcome to Smogon!
  1. You can request a name change in this thread. However, please read the rules first and wait until you qualify for a name change before posting.
  2. There is no clear answer to that. I suggest that you browse around our different sub-forums and see if one or two interest you. Maybe you are an artist and you want to share your art with us, then the Smeargle Studio would be a good place to start. If you like writing, then maybe article writing in the Flying Press section could be for you? There's plenty of activities you can participate in. A good start is always familiarizing yourself with the rules of the sub-forum and to see how other users in that action contribute. A lot of the sub-forums also have a thread where you can post simple questions if you feel lost and your fellow users will try answering them to the best of their abilities.
I hope found this helpful. Good luck!

Greetings and welcome to Smogon!
  1. You can request a name change in this thread. However, please read the rules first and wait until you qualify for a name change before posting.
  2. There is no clear answer to that. I suggest that you browse around our different sub-forums and see if one or two interest you. Maybe you are an artist and you want to share your art with us, then the Smeargle Studio would be a good place to start. If you like writing, then maybe article writing in the Flying Press section could be for you? There's plenty of activities you can participate in. A good start is always familiarizing yourself with the rules of the sub-forum and to see how other users in that action contribute. A lot of the sub-forums also always have a thread where you can post simple questions if you feel lost and your fellow users will try answering them to the best of their abilities.
I hope found this helpful. Good luck!
Where do I apply to write for flying press

First time posting in this thread so here goes :)

Smogon should add an option to watch a post (not a thread). Watching a post would notify you when it's edited. It wouldn't opt you in automatically so there's no chance of involuntary notification spam. This would be extremely useful for tours and placeholder posts such as QC on an article or analysis, as otherwise there is no way to confirm if the check was completed.

placeholder posts such as QC on an article or analysis, as otherwise there is no way to confirm if the check was completed.
As a workaround to this, typically in GP, we post a placeholder, delete it, and then post the complete check in that order. That makes sure the user gets an alert for the complete check but also lets us use placeholders for organization. You could try that for QCing too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 9)