Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

As a workaround to this, typically in GP, we post a placeholder, delete it, and then post the complete check in that order. That makes sure the user gets an alert for the complete check but also lets us use placeholders for organization. You could try that for QCing too
For my stuff that works but I can't rely on others when they're QCing or GPing my content to do so. Also for stuff like Stour getting a notif when the post is updated would be really useful :)

Across the tiers and generations, are there any (at least semi-viable) sets that invest heavily in Def or SpD, but not HP? The only ones I can think of are the mixed defensive spreads people sometimes run on mons with super high HP like Blissey, but I can't think of any that also invest in an offense or speed.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Across the tiers and generations, are there any (at least semi-viable) sets that invest heavily in Def or SpD, but not HP? The only ones I can think of are the mixed defensive spreads people sometimes run on mons with super high HP like Blissey, but I can't think of any that also invest in an offense or speed.
It's common for basically any viable Pokémon with an HP stat above a certain threshold that wants to invest in bulk, examples of ones that also invest heavily in offense and some speed are Hariyama, Giratina-O, and Guzzlord. Investing in only bulk and speed isn't that common in general, not to mention on the very few mons that are above this HP stat threshold.

I've been toying with a project that doesn't belong in Technical Projects, nor is it worthy of a Flying Press publication. It's not particular to one metagame but still revolves around competitive play in general. In searching for a sub forum, I cannot find a place to actually discuss competitive battling.

I wanted to discuss/debate formalizing team roles/functions into proper jargon and build upon commonly accepted definitions of what a lead is, what a sweeper is, what a wall is, etc. whilst introducing a new role that I wanted to argue had a place in competitive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I've been toying with a project that doesn't belong in Technical Projects, nor is it worthy of a Flying Press publication. It's not particular to one metagame but still revolves around competitive play in general. In searching for a sub forum, I cannot find a place to actually discuss competitive battling.

I wanted to discuss/debate formalizing team roles/functions into proper jargon and build upon commonly accepted definitions of what a lead is, what a sweeper is, what a wall is, etc. whilst introducing a new role that I wanted to argue had a place in competitive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sounds like the best place would be https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/articles-and-in-game-guides.106/ where misc competitive guides, references, and manuals like RNG abuse, move legalities, etc. go.

Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to have this account deleted. I think I made it one time when I started dabbling in competitive Pokémon, but I don't care anymore at this point and for security and privacy reasons I'd just like to have this link to the e-mail address purged.

If I wanted to make a thread or post which discusses a set for a Pokemon that I've made, which section should that go? I looked at the Smogon Metagames > UU section and noticed it's mostly tournament threads and I don't want to be That Guy posting a thread out of place. There's also the Rate my Team section but I just want to talk about a singular Pokemon.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
If I wanted to make a thread or post which discusses a set for a Pokemon that I've made, which section should that go? I looked at the Smogon Metagames > UU section and noticed it's mostly tournament threads and I don't want to be That Guy posting a thread out of place. There's also the Rate my Team section but I just want to talk about a singular Pokemon.
Maybe here?

Thank you. Unfortunately my set could be considered gimmicky which is against the rules of the thread (I've been trying to make a specific NU Pokemon work in UU, and I've finally found decent success). I guess I'll have to hold off on posting the set until I'm higher on the ladder and have proof of viability..

Edit: Nevermind I went ahead and posted it. No regrets! :psysly:

Last edited:
Kind of an odd question, but is there an index for OMs + an official tier? For example, would there be an index to find things like Monotype UU or Camomons UU?

This might not be the best place to ask, but are there any competitive formats (singles or doubles, official cartridge format or Smogon, any generation) where eruption is viable on Heatran?

How does Smogon/PS intend to handle Gen 8 National OU? Won't there be interactions that we won't know?

Case in point: Suppose a Pokémon with Slow Start is in play. Two turns go by. Three more to go before Slow Start wears off. The opponent sends in a Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas. Slow Start is now disabled. The opponent then switches out so Neutralizing Gas is no longer in effect. Does the turn count for Slow Start resume where it left off, or does it get reset back to five turns?

In past gens, we could either look at the game's code and see what the interaction would be, or we could test it ourselves by playing the games. But (spoilers) as there is no Pokémon with Slow Start programmed into Sword/Shield, this won't be possible here. And this is just one of the MANY interactions that won't be in Gen 8 (at least, at the start -- perhaps future Gen 8 games will have more Pokémon in them).

The only thing I can think of is to just let someone arbitrarily decide what the interaction should be. But in that case, who would do such a thing and how would they make their decision?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
hey whats up with speed in pokemon showdown. I had a Serperior with 227 speed stat up against a Slurpuff with no more than a 130 speed stat under the effect of sticky web. It hit first with play rough with <10% hp remaining and beat me. How can I anticipate this happening?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
hey whats up with speed in pokemon showdown. I had a Serperior with 227 speed stat up against a Slurpuff with no more than a 130 speed stat under the effect of sticky web. It hit first with play rough with <10% hp remaining and beat me. How can I anticipate this happening?
Can you provide a replay showing this? I'm not sure why the Slurpuff would have 130 speed, but 227 Speed Serperior sounds like random battles to me.

If I assume this was a randbats game, then Slurpuff should have had 171 speed (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on this) and probably had Unburden activated, doubling its raw speed. Even under Sticky Webs, that should still put it at just barely more than 227 Speed, which would outpace Serperior.

Can you provide a replay showing this? I'm not sure why the Slurpuff would have 130 speed, but 227 Speed Serperior sounds like random battles to me.

If I assume this was a randbats game, then Slurpuff should have had 171 speed (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on this) and probably had Unburden activated, doubling its raw speed. Even under Sticky Webs, that should still put it at just barely more than 227 Speed, which would outpace Serperior.
You're a pro. Thats definitely what happened. I with there were links that I could use to discreetly look at abilities with

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
You're a pro. Thats definitely what happened. I with there were links that I could use to discreetly look at abilities with
/dt [Pokémon name] in chat to see the most essential info on a specific Pokémon.

Here you can see the movesets of all Pokémon in randbats if you'd want to.

Is there a way to combine Smogon accounts. I created this account forgetting that I had created one long ago. I would like to use my older one (older sign up date) but use this username and email. Is this a possibility?

Thanks for the information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)