Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

How does Smogon/PS intend to handle Gen 8 National OU? Won't there be interactions that we won't know?

Case in point: Suppose a Pokémon with Slow Start is in play. Two turns go by. Three more to go before Slow Start wears off. The opponent sends in a Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas. Slow Start is now disabled. The opponent then switches out so Neutralizing Gas is no longer in effect. Does the turn count for Slow Start resume where it left off, or does it get reset back to five turns?

In past gens, we could either look at the game's code and see what the interaction would be, or we could test it ourselves by playing the games. But (spoilers) as there is no Pokémon with Slow Start programmed into Sword/Shield, this won't be possible here. And this is just one of the MANY interactions that won't be in Gen 8 (at least, at the start -- perhaps future Gen 8 games will have more Pokémon in them).

The only thing I can think of is to just let someone arbitrarily decide what the interaction should be. But in that case, who would do such a thing and how would they make their decision?
Now that we know all the abilities are in the game, it is possible to test mechanical interactions instead of making them up. As such, NatDex shall be an OM.
How, if at all, does this take Megas/Z-Moves and axed moves like Hidden Power and Pursuit into account?
Those are deleted mechanics. NatDex only assumes that all Pokemon can be transferred from USUM to SWSH. I'm sure there'll be a Pet Mod of some sort with all deleted mechanics.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
[04:02] chaos: i made a change to the ads which should hopefully stop what's going on, it says it may take an hour to kick in
[04:02] chaos: this isn't something i did, so if you added adblock over this, plz take it off when its fixed

If you're still seeing the ads could you please post screenshots. I am not using adblock, and for me the site as the same amount of ads it has had for years.

How exactly are Gen 8 formats going to work?

Is it like Gen 7 except with the new mons and Dynamax/Gigantamax?

Or will there be no megas and z moves and only have the Gen 8 dex?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
How exactly are Gen 8 formats going to work?

Is it like Gen 7 except with the new mons and Dynamax/Gigantamax?

Or will there be no megas and z moves and only have the Gen 8 dex?
As with every generation, the exact mechanics of the game are replicated on showdown!. That means no megas and Z-Moves, just like we lost all the gem items that were in Gen V before.

There is a proposed other metagame with all Pokémon, including the ones that are no longer in the games. However, last I heard this will also use exact Gen VIII mechanics, meaning no Z-Moves or megas will return then either.

One question, will they create formats where everything new can be played (the new pokemon, items, mechanics...) along with everything old? Can we get to see Megas, Z-moves and Dynamax together? Or for example Garchomp and Cursola on the same or opposite teams?

Edit: I forgot to mention that as for the said format I mean an official format such as the current US/UM OU, UU, Ubers... With all the new things next to the old ones.

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Smogon will use the Galgar dex for our official formats (OU/UU/RU/etc.). Currently, PS plans to be providing a format with the entire national dex available, but there's currently no plans to officially tier it in the same way as the regular dex will be.

One question, will they create formats where everything new can be played (the new pokemon, items, mechanics...) along with everything old? Can we get to see Megas, Z-moves and Dynamax together? Or for example Garchomp and Cursola on the same or opposite teams?
I think there's going to be an Other Metagame where the only change is that Pokemon (not moves or items) can transfer from USM to SwSh, and a Pet Mod where everything transfers over and the community makes case-by-case decisions for how the new mechanics interact with the old ones. So when they get launched, you can play whichever one you want.

So my first post, albeit I ladder somewhat frequently on showdown but I know little that goes into the timeline. That being said, at what point in time are the sword and shield tiers released?

Iguana

formerly mc56556
Hello! How can I search for the people who are considered Senior Staff on Smogon? I'm having trouble searching for people who have that title. (If you know who they are, you can also just say that. lol)

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Hello! How can I search for the people who are considered Senior Staff on Smogon? I'm having trouble searching for people who have that title. (If you know who they are, you can also just say that. lol)
Online ones can be found in the "Staff Online" list to the right side when you're on the main page, can send them a message through clicking on their name and starting a conversation.

Please add Blitz mode to Gen 8 OU Beta.

I really want to test new things and cannot be bothered with 20m games where people use the calculator every turn.

trubbish

Banned deucer.
Question about Watched Threads. I notice after watching a thread it works as normal, with me getting notifications about new posts every time they occur. However, after a few days or so I stop getting notifications for those threads at all. It seems to refresh a little bit if I go back in the thread but it seems really inconsistent. Is this how it works for all threads/forums you watch?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Question about Watched Threads. I notice after watching a thread it works as normal, with me getting notifications about new posts every time they occur. However, after a few days or so I stop getting notifications for those threads at all. It seems to refresh a little bit if I go back in the thread but it seems really inconsistent. Is this how it works for all threads/forums you watch?
If you don't check the threads after it gets a new post, it won't give you more notifications until you check it.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Newly getting back into Pokemon. Why do some Pokemon have abilities that we can’t get yet are these coming in a update or event?
Because the given Pokemon is currently not obtainable legally with the ability. It will be obtainable once an event that distributes it comes around.

The Blitz format has been completely erased with the addition of Gen 8. Is there any way we could see it return, or perhaps increase the speed at which a player loses due to inaction?

I felt like Blitz was a popular format, and completely changed the way people made their teams. Not all of us enjoy playing against people who stall out the timer, every turn, for twenty minutes.

:psycry:

Hello! My name is James Davery and I am brand new to Smogon.

I was wondering where I should go to sign up for tournaments or join a league or anything of that nature?
Thank you in advance!

- James Davery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)