Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Okay, so I'm fairly prepared for a lurk-moar style answer and that's cool but might as well ask anyways:

I don't play gen 8, so like where can I find places here to talk about non gen 8 stuff? After my (admittedly short) time looking through the different boards most stuff is SwSh. Are there certain places for old gen conversation? I see there's a sun moon analysis section, anything for older ones/ am I missing something?

Thanks in advance~

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
If at all possible, could there be a way to "mute" certain threads/subforums/forums on the site? It can be slightly tedious to have to go into specific forums to clear the bold text "notification" for something I'm not interested in, similar case for marking the forums as read at some points: it can get pretty repetitive sometimes :c

Much appreciated either way :heart:

I'm sure this has been said, so sorry for being ignorant, but why does everyone have perms for posting threads? I frequently see users start new threads inappropriately, often making an entire thread just for a simple 1 liner they could have googled, and these threads are never deleted either, they just stay on the forum list until they get pushed down. is it just not in the engine of the forum for this to be executed?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I'm sure this has been said, so sorry for being ignorant, but why does everyone have perms for posting threads? I frequently see users start new threads inappropriately, often making an entire thread just for a simple 1 liner they could have googled, and these threads are never deleted either, they just stay on the forum list until they get pushed down. is it just not in the engine of the forum for this to be executed?
Everyone doesn't have it, it depends on the perms of that specific subforum. Some of them limit it to badgeholders, some limit it to staff members, and some have it open to everyone. Most mods of their sections lock and sometime delete the threads that didn't follow that subforum's rules and since very few new users read said rules, there will be new users that keep posting threads in the same vein. It's hardly a problem and limiting who are allowed to make new threads can be a hassle if said people were approved to make a new thread yet couldn't because they weren't badged for example. Hope that explains it.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
How do I play DPP Ubers? I just made a team but cannot see any way to use it in the formats tab...there is gen 4 OU but not gen 4 ubers
You would have to challenge someone to it (click on someone's name and click challenge or use /challenge name, format) or play a room tournament.

It's supported, it just doesn't have a ladder - out of all old gen formats, only OU / Randbats get a ladder (unless they're on the ROA rotational ladder for a month)
Well sure it exists, but if I have to hunt down usernames to challenge, or find\make room tournaments (dont know what this is) I dont see how I can really play a game of it easily

I double-checked the forum rules and there's nothing explicitly telling a user not to post the distribution of a poll's votes.

The authors of Xenforo designed a brilliant system for polls where either:
  1. You cast a vote inconsiderately of the opinion of your fellow voters, for the sake of avoiding peer-pressure or...
  2. You decide to view the opinions of your cohorts, in exchange for forfeiting your ability to vote
But I was aghast when I read that an important loophole, a nosey user, having either forfeited his right to vote or faithfully deposited it into the MySQL database infrastructure responsible for organizing all records, may decide to go rogue and explicitly leak the distribution of votes of those who faithfully used their deposit! He could do this by the copy command and subsequently pasting it into either the quick reply or the standard reply option.

Without the existence of a rule forbidding such leaking of information, there's no end in sight to how humble Joe Sixpack might be swayed by knowing how others voted. The entire democratic process would be undermined, stripped and made a spectacle of out in the broad daylight!

So I entreat you--the administrators, moderators, and custodians of these fora--to update the rules in order to explicitly inform the newest, youngest, and most vulnerable of our users that such foolishness will by no means be tolerated. That way, we can put the industrial Smog-ON! and prevent a renegade from putting the Smog-OFF on Xenforo's most esteened democratic customs!

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I double-checked the forum rules and there's nothing explicitly telling a user not to post the distribution of a poll's votes.

The authors of Xenforo designed a brilliant system for polls where either:
  1. You cast a vote inconsiderately of the opinion of your fellow voters, for the sake of avoiding peer-pressure or...
  2. You decide to view the opinions of your cohorts, in exchange for forfeiting your ability to vote
But I was aghast when I read that an important loophole, a nosey user, having either forfeited his right to vote or faithfully deposited it into the MySQL database infrastructure responsible for organizing all records, may decide to go rogue and explicitly leak the distribution of votes of those who faithfully used their deposit! He could do this by the copy command and subsequently pasting it into either the quick reply or the standard reply option.

Without the existence of a rule forbidding such leaking of information, there's no end in sight to how humble Joe Sixpack might be swayed by knowing how others voted. The entire democratic process would be undermined, stripped and made a spectacle of out in the broad daylight!

So I entreat you--the administrators, moderators, and custodians of these fora--to update the rules in order to explicitly inform the newest, youngest, and most vulnerable of our users that such foolishness will by no means be tolerated. That way, we can put the industrial Smog-ON! and prevent a renegade from putting the Smog-OFF on Xenforo's most esteened democratic customs!
Not that this seems to be the most serious of requests, but not much of importance is decided through the forum polls. For example, suspect test voting is not, so this is not really a high priority issue.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
It has come to my attention that if someone posts in a thread I'm watching and then deletes said post before I open smogon to check notifications, I get no notification and effectively treated as if I was unwatched from the thread, even if other people post afterwards, and then have to find the thread again through a direct link in order for the system to automatically re-watch it.

Is there a way that this can be fixed so that the notification doesn't go away even if people do delete their posts?

ThirdStrongestMole

Banned deucer.
I got tagged in a post but didn't get a notification for it. Would that a issue with settings on my end or was there some sort of bug? I've never not gotten a notification before, at least from my knowledge.

Kalalokki

Sprite Leader
I got tagged in a post but didn't get a notification for it. Would that a issue with settings on my end or was there some sort of bug? I've never not gotten a notification before, at least from my knowledge.
Those without badges will only notify the first like 5 or so they tag, the rest won't get notified, so that's what might've happened in your case. Also won't notify if the person doing the tags simply copied the user tags and not manually did @ name as well as if they edited in a tag after the post was initially made.

ThirdStrongestMole

Banned deucer.
Those without badges will only notify the first like 5 or so they tag, the rest won't get notified, so that's what might've happened in your case. Also won't notify if the person doing the tags simply copied the user tags and not manually did @ name as well as if they edited in a tag after the post was initially made.
I should've clarified more details about the post. It was for the ost pairings (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-tournament-xvi-round-4-c.3660704/). It was by False and he has a shit ton of badges, so he must've not manually inputed the @. Makes sense, thanks.

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I should've clarified more details about the post. It was for the ost pairings (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-tournament-xvi-round-4-c.3660704/). It was by False and he has a shit ton of badges, so he must've not manually inputed the @. Makes sense, thanks.
Late, but we (OST Hosts) receive pairings with @s that we just copy and paste into our thread; I don't think that's the problem here.

On the off chance that you accidentally turned off notifications for mentions (the @ thing), you can click on your avatar at the top right, click "Preferences," scroll down to "Receive a notification when someone...", and make sure "Alert" (and "Push" if you want to have desktop notifications) is on.

What happened in Round 4 of OST was that a TD made the threads and then thread ownership was transferred to the respective hosts. It might have something to do with that? I also received reports of users not being tagged.

Bring back the gen 7 tiers. Some moves and pokemon are literally unplayable right now. This isn't like the other times, where you could just go to the next. Even on the "national dex" tiers you still cant use the z-moves or megas

Kalalokki

Sprite Leader
Bring back the gen 7 tiers. Some moves and pokemon are literally unplayable right now. This isn't like the other times, where you could just go to the next. Even on the "national dex" tiers you still cant use the z-moves or megas
They're just listed as challenge-only now, has always happened to the previous generation after a new generation comes out and replaces them. Moves and Pokémon being unusable is out of our reach and something the new tiers has had to adapt to as well.

Generation 7 OU still has a ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)