Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Could someone link me the discussion/suspect threads regarding Kyurem Black getting unbanned back in B2W2? It was such an interesting and unprecedented decision, and I want to see what people's reactions and thoughts were.

Speaking of it, why do tiers get demoted to "challenge only"? what is the problem of them being available for general play? challenging people hoping they just happen to want a game of a specific tier is extremely tedious, especially when you can only challenge one person at a time

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Speaking of it, why do tiers get demoted to "challenge only"? what is the problem of them being available for general play? challenging people hoping they just happen to want a game of a specific tier is extremely tedious, especially when you can only challenge one person at a time
Chances are, for less active tiers, it would take a while to actually get a game if you try to search for one, so it's not really worth to keep it around. Besides, with challenge only, you can play with the same person as many times as you want without waiting.

Chances are, for less active tiers, it would take a while to actually get a game if you try to search for one, so it's not really worth to keep it around. Besides, with challenge only, you can play with the same person as many times as you want without waiting.
The easy solution would be to allow queuing for multiple tiers, and having the option is still better than not having the option, you can rematch just as easily from a general match than from a challenge...

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
The easy solution would be to allow queuing for multiple tiers, and having the option is still better than not having the option, you can rematch just as easily from a general match than from a challenge...
Except it's not an easy solution when it requires a whole new system to be coded to accommodate it + the fact that it doesn't help with the problem of ladder bloat, which is also a problem if we had everything available as a ladder.

Just joined looking to get help in building a new team from scratch and the only rule are no gen 8 or legends. Where would I go to start this discussion?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Just joined looking to get help in building a new team from scratch and the only rule are no gen 8 or legends. Where would I go to start this discussion?
No Smogon metagame have any arbitrary "no gen 8" or "no legendary" rules to them, so you're out of luck here really.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Could someone link me the discussion/suspect threads regarding Kyurem Black getting unbanned back in B2W2? It was such an interesting and unprecedented decision, and I want to see what people's reactions and thoughts were.
everything is in the old gen 5 OU subforum, suspect thread was here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-bw-ou-suspect-testing-round-7-ice-ice-baby.3473636/
voting results here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-round-7-suspect-voting.3474262/post-4459737

there's also a couple other threads about it that were started around then e.g. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kyurem-b.3474383/

Prepare to be dissapointed, because as the fifth reply on the thread mentions, it was NOT a decision from here. It was copypasted from the PO's council. Here they would have never unbanned if PO hadn't done it first, and caused a large chunk of the playerbase to jump ship into their servers.

And honestly I am astounded they did it, considering those dates are about when the Smogon council started to get a little too trigger-happy with the bannhammer, as you can also see by the multiple comments about Genesect, Tornadus-T and Deoxys-D.

And speaking of wich, why haven't we ever tested this last one back? I can understand holding on Genesect, who is difficult to deal with depending on it's coverage, even if Magearna is twice as threatening, and I could understand not wanting Deoxys-D in ORAS where the meta wasn't that much different from BW and Bisharp was a thing, but SM's meta was different enough to consider it, especially with the newer Defoggers that have no problem getting past Defiant shenanigans.

I quote from the SM analysis:
  • Deoxys-D's seemingly excellent bulk, having base 160 Special Defense and Defense, is hindered greatly by its low base 50 HP.
  • It is extremely passive due to having below-average attacking stats, so it usually runs Toxic to make up for it and is thus very susceptible to Taunt.
  • Deoxys-D also has a terrible defensive typing in Psychic, which lacks resistances, makes Deoxys-D vulnerable to all entry hazards and status, notably Toxic, and gives it common weaknesses to Ghost- and Dark-types and U-turn. Notably, Mega Gengar is able to trap and remove Deoxys-D with minimal effort.
  • Because of these traits, Deoxys-Dis almost completely outclassed by other bulky Spikes setters such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Klefki, all of which have better defensive typings and can check a larger range of threats, even when accounting for Deoxys-D's faster Taunt.
    [*]Deoxys-D is a waste of a teamslot and should never be used on a serious team .

Honestly, I think he deserves a second chance in OU.

is there a list of ingame commands anywhere? I've been using this for months and didn't know it possible to offerdraw until i saw a youtuber do it.

is there a list of ingame commands anywhere? I've been using this for months and didn't know it possible to offerdraw until i saw a youtuber do it.
Typing /commands gives a list of a lot of commands, though it doesn't seem to be all of them. For example, /ionext and /offerdraw aren't listed.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
So if you go onto someone's profile, and click the blue link to users, you see categories of most messages, most reaction scores, today's birthdays, and site staff. The category in question is Today's Birthdays. Does that category show the age you turned into, even if you made your age invisible on your profile? Or does it just not show you said user who had their age invisible at all? Or does it still show you said user, but not their age? This confuses me so I figured I'd ask.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
So if you go onto someone's profile, and click the blue link to users, you see categories of most messages, most reaction scores, today's birthdays, and site staff. The category in question is Today's Birthdays. Does that category show the age you turned into, even if you made your age invisible on your profile? Or does it just not show you said user who had their age invisible at all? Or does it still show you said user, but not their age? This confuses me so I figured I'd ask.
As you can see if you look on said birthday page, if no year is visible in the profile then it leaves the age blank.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Alright. Sorry to ask a question the day after I asked one, but how do some people end up with negative reaction scores? By that, I mean they have a -(insert number here) for a reaction score. How does that even work?

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I've had a bit of conversation with a couple BH players about this, and I'm pretty sure other people have had the same thought: in the RMT thread, there should be two categories: asking for feedback and "showing off" or aiming to get into Team Showcase.

There are two types of teams that are posted: teams that are still in development, where the player wants advice from others to improve the team; and teams that are pretty much finished (in the eyes of the builder), where the player is simultaneously "showing it off" and looking for feedback just to touch up the team.

While these categories sound similar, they look very different - for example, the former usually looks like this while the latter looks like this. And it creates this weird situation where half (or even more than half) of the RMTs are really just Team Showcase submissions that aren't actually looking for much feedback. Adding a "Teamsharing" thread would alleviate this issue while also helping new players find pretty good teams without needing to shuffle through all of the underdeveloped ones.

When browsing past generations in the strategy dex, it would be nice if newer Pokemon weren't excluded from the search bar. Instead, searching for them should link you to either their most recent generation, or their first generation. For someone who likes looking back at strategies of the past, it can be frustrating to search for something, not see it, remember "oh right, that doesn't exist yet", exit the search bar, switch to a later gen, go back into the search bar, and backspace to update the search results.

newgirl125

Banned deucer.
Welcome to Smogon, the premier competitive battling Pokemon website! If you're new to the forums or competitive battling in general and looking for help on how things work around here, feel free to ask any questions you have in this thread.

Please keep in mind that this is not an introduction thread, so do include relevant queries in your posts. You're more than welcome to ask questions regarding competitive battling, our forums in general, or how to get involved in a particular section of the website, and we'll be happy to help you out or direct you to the appropriate resource.

We'll do our best to answer every question in this thread, but if your question relates to a specific part of the forums, you'll likely get a much quicker answer there. For your convenience, here are links to the Simple Questions & Answers threads in Smogon's various forums:

If your question pertains to any of these areas, please use the forum-specific SQSAs.

There are also several other threads in the Information & Resources forum which might contain the information you're looking for:
  • Introduction to Smogon - Provides an introduction to the website and information regarding our various resources and contribution opportunities.
  • Global Forum Rules - You know what these are; you should read them.
  • Competitive Battling FAQ - A basic introduction to competitive battling. If you're completely new to the competitive aspect of Pokemon, then this thread will give you a solid foundation to build from.
  • Tiering FAQ - A useful introductory resource to Smogon's tiering processes.
  • Badge FAQ - A rundown of Smogon's contribution/staff-based awards for contribution: badges. Also, their Badge Leaders.
  • Smogon Staff & Promotions - Contains a list of all staff members and the section of the site they moderate.
If your question is related to base stats, moves or abilities, it'd be a good idea to check out the USUM research thread or the Past Generations research thread depending on the game.

If you can't find the answer you're looking in any of the above threads, then we encourage you to use this one!

If you spot an error on one of the site pages (such as a Pokemon being listed in the wrong tier in the Strategydex), post here.

Also, feel free to post any suggestions you may have for Smogon here as well. Here's some of the stuff that's been put forward already:
Can we delete inactive accounts with 0 posts?

We're not deleting inactive accounts because chances are an older user could return and want their account back. The most that'll probably be done is name changes if a user is desperate for the name. But in general a purge is very unlikely in the near future.

Can we enable likes in Smogon conversations?

This feature costs money that we don't have unfortunately. Plus, the admins are programming more important things for the site, too.

Can we have a dropbox to export older teams into?

It's currently not possible for XenForo. You can upload teams to files and then upload them to Dropbox to share with friends, but XenForo does not support this.

Can we add Tapatalk, or some other way to view Smogon better on the mobile?

chaos is currently too busy to be able to have the time to implement something like that. You can try to make something for us though!

Can we have a darker Smogon theme?

NMx13 designed one. This thread has instructions (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-dark-skin.3502839/) to add it in.

Can the search function look for three letter words?

Unfortunately not, but you can try to search on Google.

Can we have clans?

It's generally accepted that we won't have clans anytime in the future.

Can we have a ROM hacking forum?

We wouldn't get enough activity to really need a forum, as everyone goes to the other ROM hacking forums already and we'd have nothing new to offer.

Can we edit options in a poll?

Nope, Xenforo doesn't support that unfortunately!

Will we ever change the logo?

Nope, Smogon means Koffing in German, so unless we change the name there's... not really a point.
Hi! i just got a brand new server and i cant get on it

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Hi! i just got a brand new server and i cant get on it
Then on the forum called "Pokemon Showdown" there is a thread called technical support. The first post may explain as to why you can't even enter it in the first place, and it's somewhere near or at the bottom that it may explain why. If you still have no clue as to why, then make a message about it in that thread. However, I recommend you do it in the way the bottom of the post tells you to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 5)