Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Hi there, new to looking more in-depth. I have a question, there's a problem with the dppt clefable which I can't figure out. It suggests a movesets with an illegal ability. It suggests magic guard with softboiled/seismic toss but those can only be learned in e/fr/lg and magic guard isn't available in those games. Please advise

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Hi there, new to looking more in-depth. I have a question, there's a problem with the dppt clefable which I can't figure out. It suggests a movesets with an illegal ability. It suggests magic guard with softboiled/seismic toss but those can only be learned in e/fr/lg and magic guard isn't available in those games. Please advise
From Bulbapedia:
When Abilities were introduced in Generation III, some Pokémon only had one possible Ability. A number of these species were given a second Ability in a later generation. If a Pokémon whose species gained an Ability after Generation III is transferred to Generations IV or V, it will initially retain its original Ability; upon evolving, however, its Ability slot will be recalculated and its Ability may change.
ie transfer a Clefairy with Soft-Boiled and evolve it or just use an Ability Capsule

From Bulbapedia:

ie transfer a Clefairy with Soft-Boiled and evolve it or just use an Ability Capsule
Ahh I see. Thank you. Can this be done by resetting for the wanted ability or would it be set even before evolving. Is there a way to guarantee it to change (I intend to keep it in gen 4 so no capsule)

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Ahh I see. Thank you. Can this be done by resetting for the wanted ability or would it be set even before evolving. Is there a way to guarantee it to change (I intend to keep it in gen 4 so no capsule)
I'm not 100% certain of this so I would appreciate it if someone could confirm or deny what I'm about to say, but I'm pretty sure that the ability is essentially "coded" into the Pokemon, meaning that you cannot soft-reset for the ability you want. This old gamefaqs thread says the same thing. So essentially, you transfer a Clefairy that you taught Soft-Boiled in FR/LG, evolve it with a Moon Stone in DPPt, and pray that the RNG is with you and you get the 50% Magic Guard. That's even more annoying if you're looking for good IVs/Nature. So yeah, assuming my memory and that thread is correct, you'll need some luck, but I hope it works out for you if you go for it!

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Ironically enough also from bulba, but as Goodbye & Thanks said it's coded into the mon so you can't reset for it (it's tied to the PID). So essentially you can RNG for it in gen 3, and thus control what ability you'll get, or you can import and hope. It's 50% because either it stays the same or it'll change, but it'll always do one or the other for a single mon (different mon--same species or otherwise--may have a different result).

Sorry this is my first time on smogon at the end of the month sorta time. What time do the usage stats get released for each month? I assume a few hours after the month has officially ended to put up all the stats and whatnot

Sorry this is my first time on smogon at the end of the month sorta time. What time do the usage stats get released for each month? I assume a few hours after the month has officially ended to put up all the stats and whatnot
Generally on the 1st of the following month now that Marty or TheImmortal are collecting and posting them. Sometimes it can take a bit longer. Expect the ones for April 2020 sometime tomorrow.

How many evs do people run on Conkeldurr? I know people run a certain amount to beat clefable but then some clefables run some speed too.

What is the usual speed creep investment for conkeldurr?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
How many evs do people run on Conkeldurr? I know people run a certain amount to beat clefable but then some clefables run some speed too.

What is the usual speed creep investment for conkeldurr?
The standard Conkeldurr spread in SS OU is Adamant 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (reaching 189 Speed), but some people have started to run Jolly (reaching 207 Speed) in response to people EVing Pokemon like Clefable and Primarina to outspeed Adamant Conkeldurr.

Questions like these should be asked in the OU subforum though: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3656259/

The standard Conkeldurr spread in SS OU is Adamant 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (reaching 189 Speed), but some people have started to run Jolly (reaching 207 Speed) in response to people EVing Pokemon like Clefable and Primarina to outspeed Adamant Conkeldurr.

Questions like these should be asked in the OU subforum though: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3656259/
Thank you very much. Apologies for that. I only started using smogon recently im still a little lost sometimes. Ill make sure to post my questions about OU there in the future :)

Is teleport supposed to be able to bypass block? On bulpabedia it says it fails unless it has a smoke ball and teleport is not listed on the block page of moves that bypass it either.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Is teleport supposed to be able to bypass block? On bulpabedia it says it fails unless it has a smoke ball and teleport is not listed on the block page of moves that bypass it either.
Pokemon have always been able to escape from Block and other trapping methods by using pivoting moves like U-turn, Volt Switch, Baton Pass, etc., including Teleport this generation. Smoke Ball is an item that guarantees the holder to be able to flee from wild Pokemon in-game (even when trapped), it's not relevant to competitive battling.

Pokemon have always been able to escape from Block and other trapping methods by using pivoting moves like U-turn, Volt Switch, Baton Pass, etc., including Teleport this generation. Smoke Ball is an item that guarantees the holder to be able to flee from wild Pokemon in-game (even when trapped), it's not relevant to competitive battling.
If teleport only started being able to escape block this generation, it should be added to bulpadedia and smogon's description for block, because it's not listed on either.

Ruft

OU Leader
If teleport only started being able to escape block this generation, it should be added to bulpadedia and smogon's description for block, because it's not listed on either.
Well, that makes sense because Teleport only got a competitive use in player-vs-player battles this generation; it fails when used in prior generations. It has always had a use in-game to flee from wild Pokemon though.

EDIT: But yes, I agree it should be added to the generation 8 description.

Last edited:
Well, that makes sense because Teleport only got a competitive use in player-vs-player battles this generation; it fails when used in prior generations. It has always had a use in-game to flee from wild Pokemon though.
How does it make sense for the gen 8 pokedex of a move affecting the most used mon in gen 8 not be accurate? I just lost a game because I tried block with the expectation that the smogon and bulbapedia entries were correct.

Attachments

Hello hello, sorry if it's a too general question, but how can i have good matchup against offensive teams?
No need to be too complete, if you give me a short reponse with the most common ways to deal with them, it should be enough, thanks!
Priority and choice scarf users will do well due to the fast and frail nature of offense. Remember that offense is about momentum, thus playing in a fashion that takes away the opponents momentum is the best way to beat offense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)