Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Where do I go to see battle replays and sweeps? on the fourm
There are a variety of places:

Smogon's social media head has a replay vault here.

Also, If you navigate to the "Tournaments" section of Smogon, then navigate to the subforums for each of the tournaments, each subforum will generally have a replay thread which you can find with ctrl+f and the word "replay". If you can't find a replay thread then scroll through the individual threads in the forum until you find replays posted by the player who won that week/stage of the tournament. These replays are very good to watch because you know that the players will be good at pokemon.

Ex. replay thread: SPL Replay thread
Ex. of replays in a thread: OST XVI Finals thread, winner posted his replays

A few other things worth noting are that RMTs will sometimes have replays and that some tournaments won't show up in the "Tournaments" section. For example, PUPL has it's own replay thread within the PU subforum here.

Finally, although it isn't the question you asked, there are two good ways to find replays outside of the forums. On Showdown, you can click "Watch a battle" then sort by format and minimum elo, and on replay.pokemonshowdown.com you can find "Fun" replays (which are all timeless classics), more competitive replays, and completely random replays that were just played by noone knows who.

Edit: If you want to find replays with sweeps in them, then as far as I know you'll just have to go through the replays and find the ones matching the criteria you're looking for.

Last edited:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
how to deal with BAD MANNERED PLAYERS.
for this case, simply doing /ignore [username] or clicking their name then "..." then "Ignore" will do your work (there's also "report" if you think the case is severe enough to warrant attention from global staff members).

(I cannot really help with Battles per hour)

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello I would like to Request a Guide on how to Efficiently Battle on POlk,emmon Showdown,For exampl; how to play more BattlesPerHour, and how to deal with BAD MANNERED PLAYERS.

THankyou<
You can be in multiple battles at once. When in a battle, go back to the Home tab and select 'add game.' in theory you can have as many battles as you want running, though keep in mind it gets tough trying to juggle multiple battles.

how do i do the big sprites for pokemons? i know that you can put small sprites like this: :garbodor: (:name of the pokemon:), but how i put the big sprites?

can we have an option that allows us to watch new threads AND messages in forums? Like make the options check-boxed so that it's multiple choice. I think this could be useful for anyone (like me) who wants to catch up with things. Then the "Don't send notifications" option could be used as a seperate option or completely negates the other two.

Hi, I did a lot of breeding a Showdown battling during Gen VI and to a break from it until now. I'm interested in getting back in a participating in some Smogon tournaments, and I've got a few questions.

1. Do all Smogon tournaments take place on Showdown? I looked through a few and found some replays in Showdown, but I couldn't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

2. Since it looks like at least some Smogon tournaments take place in Showdown, is the main point of actually breeding Pokemon in-game for use in official Nintendo events?

3. I've been looking through the OU resources/cores/sample teams threads and they've been really helpful. Any other recommendations for getting adjusted to the current meta?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, from what I can tell, the OU meta doesn't necessarily go by what is or is "supposed to be" in SW/SH. For example, I'm seeing a lot of Clefables with Soft-boiled which is an egg move *joke snare* that it should not be able to obtain in SW/SH. IS this observation correct?

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Hi, I did a lot of breeding a Showdown battling during Gen VI and to a break from it until now. I'm interested in getting back in a participating in some Smogon tournaments, and I've got a few questions.

1. Do all Smogon tournaments take place on Showdown? I looked through a few and found some replays in Showdown, but I couldn't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

2. Since it looks like at least some Smogon tournaments take place in Showdown, is the main point of actually breeding Pokemon in-game for use in official Nintendo events?

3. I've been looking through the OU resources/cores/sample teams threads and they've been really helpful. Any other recommendations for getting adjusted to the current meta?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, from what I can tell, the OU meta doesn't necessarily go by what is or is "supposed to be" in SW/SH. For example, I'm seeing a lot of Clefables with Soft-boiled which is an egg move *joke snare* that it should not be able to obtain in SW/SH. IS this observation correct?
1. Yes, beside some few VGC and BSS ones that might get hosted but none in Smogon formats
2. Or just playing online on the cart ladder. Some just collect competitive mons too, especially shinies
3. Probably just hitting up the ladder on Showdown
4. It's not an egg move, it's a tutor move from FRLG/E in Gen 3. Even if it's not available in SWSH, or otherwise very obscure to get, it really doesn't matter for the sake of our legality, as long as it's able to be transferred up and that it technically exist. Also explains why stuff like Wish Chansey is allowed, even though it's a very rare event move also from Gen 3.

1. Yes, beside some few VGC and BSS ones that might get hosted but none in Smogon formats
2. Or just playing online on the cart ladder. Some just collect competitive mons too, especially shinies
3. Probably just hitting up the ladder on Showdown
4. It's not an egg move, it's a tutor move from FRLG/E in Gen 3. Even if it's not available in SWSH, or otherwise very obscure to get, it really doesn't matter for the sake of our legality, as long as it's able to be transferred up and that it technically exist. Also explains why stuff like Wish Chansey is allowed, even though it's a very rare event move also from Gen 3.
Thanks so much for the quick, concise response! That was very helpful.

Is there a place I can point out a problem I see in a pokemon summary and/or suggest an improvement?

I've seen an oversight that if fixed would just straight up improve one and I don't exactly know where to go

Reactions: gum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)