Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
hey uh i tried uploading a gif avatar of volcarona and on my end it came out really glitchy. i tried a gif of scizor to see what happened and its still glitching. is this just an issue on my end or do gifs not work rn?
I believe transparency in gif avatars on this forum do work poorly for some reason. I've experienced it myself and it has probably something to do with the forum software itself, meaning it's unlikely that it can easily be fixed.

I believe transparency in gif avatars on this forum do work poorly for some reason. I've experienced it myself and it has probably something to do with the forum software itself, meaning it's unlikely that it can easily be fixed.
ohhhhhh yea yea all the gifs i tried were transparent. ok i will keep that in mind if i find one thats not lol!

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have a problem with my Smogon notifications where I just won't get notifications for threads and forums that I am watching. I believe I asked this question once and was told that you don't get notified for new posts if you ignored a notification for a previous post in the same thread. However, I still get some notifications for threads/forums I haven't clicked on in years, while some threads that I check every time, like the OU Discussion thread, just straight up stop appearing no matter how active I am in the thread. Is this some sort of glitch or is there some secret to it?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I have a problem with my Smogon notifications where I just won't get notifications for threads and forums that I am watching. I believe I asked this question once and was told that you don't get notified for new posts if you ignored a notification for a previous post in the same thread. However, I still get some notifications for threads/forums I haven't clicked on in years, while some threads that I check every time, like the OU Discussion thread, just straight up stop appearing no matter how active I am in the thread. Is this some sort of glitch or is there some secret to it?
If notifications are wonky, then it might actually be XenForo's fault itself. Tried googling for some general XenForo queries about watched threads/forums notifications, but didn't find anything in particular. Could try that route yourself and see if you get any luck.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Sometimes this is caused by post deletions ftr, since alerts are tied to specific posts; if someone replies to a watched thread, someone else posts after, and the initial post is deleted, then the "new post" notification disappears into the void alongside it. Afaik there's not really a good fix to this within xf's current alert code unfort, only thing you could do is check https://www.smogon.com/forums/watched/threads occasionally.

bea

I COULD BEA BANNED!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator
correct me if I'm wrong but they could either appeal it or they would have to wait until an infraction points expires

Is there a way to do a search of a specific string of characters here on the forums even when there is a space included?

For example, Let's say you want to search "solid snake" on the forums. You'll get a lot of results for Snake Draft tournament posts and also results of people saying a certain pokemon, team, core, playstyle, w/e is solid. But finding the exact combination of the words "solid snake" together would be very difficult to find.

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
Is there a way to do a search of a specific string of characters here on the forums even when there is a space included?

For example, Let's say you want to search "solid snake" on the forums. You'll get a lot of results for Snake Draft tournament posts and also results of people saying a certain pokemon, team, core, playstyle, w/e is solid. But finding the exact combination of the words "solid snake" together would be very difficult to find.
you can try using google, for example in this cause your query would be:
site:smogon.com/forums "solid snake"

xenforo's search system kind of sucks

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Wanted to ask here before submitting it to bug reports.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8oublitz-1177148566-hjq6ul5n5kxyv1p05f0qmp045vgc7c2pw
Any reason Coalossal didn't outspeed venusaur turn 5?
The coalossal was max speed.
After checking the input log (basically debug log so I can see exact teams), you aren't max speed. You have a neutral nature and less than 252 EVs (exact amount redacted so I don't leak your EV spread).

Enough to the point where this is not a bug, venasaur was faster.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
After checking the input log (basically debug log so I can see exact teams), you aren't max speed. You have a neutral nature and less than 252 EVs (exact amount redacted so I don't leak your EV spread).

Enough to the point where this is not a bug, venasaur was faster.
Weird, ok, idk why my opp lied about it tho lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)