Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
What's a banned deucer? I've seen like a million people with "banned deucer" under their names.

Googling didn't work. I got this ridiculous awesome article, but no definition.

I know this is a bit on the vague side and I'm terribly sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but I'm looking for a particular replay that I can't find for the life of me. I'm fairly sure I was using the same username (Dratios), I recall that it was Gen 6 UU, that I had a team with a Suicune and a Salamence, and my opponent had a Mega Swampert that used Double-Edge. They mentioned that "they keep double-edge for these kind of unique opponents," to which I responded something along the lines of "Ice Punch is better in literally every single way," to which they replied "Double-Edge is riskier and better, plus how do you hit surskit or shedinja." I also remember posting this on one of the forums here, but as it was about 5 years ago, I can't remember which one. Any help would be appreciated :)

Cringetopia

Banned deucer.
Hi so I just made my smogon account today. I used to be a decent ladder player but I haven't played in a few years and I decided that I felt like getting back into it after rediscovering Joey's channel last week. I want to try my luck at tournaments this time around and I'm wondering what SS OU tournaments are coming up that I can have a go at. I went on the tournaments subforum but to honest it was pretty confusing for a new user such as myself because of the sheer amount of ongoing tours.

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi so I just made my smogon account today. I used to be a decent ladder player but I haven't played in a few years and I decided that I felt like getting back into it after rediscovering Joey's channel last week. I want to try my luck at tournaments this time around and I'm wondering what SS OU tournaments are coming up that I can have a go at. I went on the tournaments subforum but to honest it was pretty confusing for a new user such as myself because of the sheer amount of ongoing tours.
Welcome to Smogon! If you click here then a page will open up directing you towards the 2021 OU Circuit plan, allowing you to see what dates tournaments start on. In addition, if you gain enough points throughout the year at the end of the year you'll be awarded a fancy ribbon!

This is a very subjective question, and I'm not quite sure how to word this, but what tiers are in a good place right now? Like are balanced, don't have a suspect currently going on, or a looming suspect? Because all the metas that I try to get into are either broken or have an ongoing suspect. Thanks in advance.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
This is a very subjective question, and I'm not quite sure how to word this, but what tiers are in a good place right now? Like are balanced, don't have a suspect currently going on, or a looming suspect? Because all the metas that I try to get into are either broken or have an ongoing suspect. Thanks in advance.
None of them. Spam broken. (This isn't a joke response either).

shadowpea

is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah, DLC2 definately messed things up. Even Ubers, which is completely unaffected by tier shifts, takes a huge hit.
Ubers: Calyrex-S (Screw you DLC2)
OU: Cinderace, Magearna, Spectrier (but I see you in the OU forums all the time so its probably safe to assume you know this already)
UU: Latias, Azumarill, Kommo-O, Celesteela
RU: Thundurus, Zarude
NU: Pangoro, Bewear, Cresselia lol
PU: Virizon (how in the world did that get in PU???), Archeops, Arctovish
ZU: The victim of the January tier shifts. Go down there and see for yourself.

I don't really play any of these tiers but a quick glance at the metagame discussions makes it all too apparant, because we cultured Smogoners complain all the time as soon as something looks broken /j.

Anyways the official tiers and ZU isn't looking way too good right now. Maybe try your luck in the OMs or pet mods? I myself got into BH a while ago and it is actually quite fascinating!

Best of luck finding a place to stay!

Yeah, DLC2 definately messed things up. Even Ubers, which is completely unaffected by tier shifts, takes a huge hit.
Ubers: Calyrex-S (Screw you DLC2)
OU: Cinderace, Magearna, Spectrier (but I see you in the OU forums all the time so its probably safe to assume you know this already)
UU: Latias, Azumarill, Kommo-O, Celesteela
RU: Thundurus, Zarude
NU: Pangoro, Bewear, Cresselia lol
PU: Virizon (how in the world did that get in PU???), Archeops, Arctovish
ZU: The victim of the January tier shifts. Go down there and see for yourself.

I don't really play any of these tiers but a quick glance at the metagame discussions makes it all too apparant, because we cultured Smogoners complain all the time as soon as something looks broken /j.

Anyways the official tiers and ZU isn't looking way too good right now. Maybe try your luck in the OMs or pet mods? I myself got into BH a while ago and it is actually quite fascinating!

Best of luck finding a place to stay!
New Question; what OMs are balanced and don't have a suspect? The only one I know is monotype, and that's only because it had robust sample teams.

shadowpea

is a Tiering Contributor
New Question; what OMs are balanced and don't have a suspect? The only one I know is monotype, and that's only because it had robust sample teams.
...yeah, the DLC definately screwed things up. To give you an example, stuff like Pikachu are allowed in NFE (Light Ball goes brrrrrr). I don't really play other metas, though I will say that you can use Expanding Force Tapu Lele and Bolt Strike Koko in STABmons. Anyways, I think BH is nice if you start with a sample team, because building your own teams when you are completely new is near impossible (I know this kinda applies to all tiers, but especially stuff like BH and Pure Hackmons when you can do almost anything). Unfortunately, the sample teams are kinda outdated to before DLC2, but there's some teams at the last page of the BH thread that you can use (nevermind! a loser just updated the sample teams!). As I said, I don't really play OMs besides BH, but Monotype certainly doesn't look bad despite Spectrier being still here. Everything else is still a bit crazy imo, mostly because they move a lot slower than tiers like OU and isn't as quick to ban things.

So yeah, I suggest trying BH if you'd like. Imo its a great tier because not only do you have a bunch of main threats that everyone uses and you have to check them, but there is also a bunch of room for creativity. Monotype looks nice too and I might try it in the future as well!

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Is there a place where I can view a timeline of all of the tiering decisions made during the course of an old tier's metagame? I know all of the np threads are saved in Thread Cryonics, but it's really time consuming to sift through all of those old threads and posts.

May i ask where can i ask for help in making a custom pokemon showdown server?, i'm trying to make custom abilities and it's not working.

what happens if a suspect test gets a equal amount of votes to ban a Pokemon and also get the same amount of votes to keep the pokemon in its specific tier

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hello, I cannot change my forum avatar.
Is this a bug or do I not yet meet some kind of requirement?
Everything looks like you should be able to change your profile picture when I look at your account. You are trying to change it here correct?

I have one question! When Pokemon Showdown will go release? It's been so many years since it was available for public and still not released? Is it some kind of permanent Beta?

fwiw doubles ou hasn't suspected anything for half a year and does not have anything urgent planned for suspect test. You're probably looking for a singles tier but doubles is a lot of fun too. Pop by the discord or the ps room and you'll meet some friendly people willing to help you get started :blobthumbsup:.

This question isn't very "simple" but it applies to all of the gens so I will ask it here. I am trying to figure out how to optimize EV spreads for bulk with the combination of HP and Def/SpDef. Taking a look at the damage formula on Bulbapedia it looks like for this purpose you can simplify it to be this: (HP left after the attack)=(HP stat with 0 EVs + (EVs invested ÷ 4)) – (252 ÷((Def/SpDef stat with 0 EVs + (EVs invested ÷ 4)) × 1.1 if it has a +Def/SpDef Nature) + 2). I got 252 by plugging in 100 as the base power of the move and 300 as the Atk/SpAtk stat, pretty sure that they can just be whatever (also pretty sure that the modifier doesn't matter either). Does this all look right? Is there a website that can run formulas like this? Did someone else already make some sort of resource for this purpose?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
This question isn't very "simple" but it applies to all of the gens so I will ask it here. I am trying to figure out how to optimize EV spreads for bulk with the combination of HP and Def/SpDef. Taking a look at the damage formula on Bulbapedia it looks like for this purpose you can simplify it to be this: (HP left after the attack)=(HP stat with 0 EVs + (EVs invested ÷ 4)) – (252 ÷((Def/SpDef stat with 0 EVs + (EVs invested ÷ 4)) × 1.1 if it has a +Def/SpDef Nature) + 2). I got 252 by plugging in 100 as the base power of the move and 300 as the Atk/SpAtk stat, pretty sure that they can just be whatever (also pretty sure that the modifier doesn't matter either). Does this all look right? Is there a website that can run formulas like this? Did someone else already make some sort of resource for this purpose?
So I’m not totally sure what you’re asking here because it’s clumsily worded, but the way that competitive Pokémon works is that EV spreads are tailored to specific opponents. Bulk EVs are given to a Pokémon based on what move from a specific opponent that Pokémon needs to tank, and if you google “Pokémon damage calculator” you’ll be able to modify stats within the calculator to figure out what EVs are necessary for that particular Pokémon. Notably, with very few exceptions, it’s better to just put the full 252 EVs into a Pokémon’s HP for better bulk toward both physical and special moves than to put it into a specific defensive stat. Also notably, EVs work in divisions of 4 (4 EVs in a stat = one extra point in that stat) and you can only put 252 EVs into any stat, with a cap of 508 total EVs. With the exception of Gen II where you can and should put 252 EVs into every stat.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)