Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

hey what is this magnezone set speed meant to outspeed.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Bold Nature
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
hey what is this magnezone set speed meant to outspeed.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Bold Nature
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
Hi, I know you've been receiving answers here but this is the wrong thread to ask these things. The OU forum has its own simple questions and simple answers thread for these kinds of inquiries, found here.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hey whats double posting because ive seen people mention it in thier posts but i have no idea what it is
Double posting is basically what it sounds like. Posting twice in the same forum. Often times a moderator will give a Do not double post please and/ or merge your post (will say edited by a moderator, too). Plus say to use the convenient "edit" option too. This largely depends on that specific forum. So be sure to read the rules and what not. :)

Hey so i'm having trouble taking a gif to the converter,can someone help please.Whenever I try to upload a gif file it says theres nothing there and i'm very confused.

Last edited:

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
how do you add a description in a pokepaste?

in some pokepastes like this one there's a description on the right. how do you add it?
You have to do it directly from https://pokepast.es by pasting in the team manually then adding in the description under the "notes" section, I don't think you can add it from using the export button on showdown.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
question/suggestion: are there any guidelines for streamers about streaming their tournament games? It's quite possible that if they are reading/interacting with chat during the game that they become privy to information they should not have or are otherwise helped. There is also a stream sniping element that should be considered. It's worth noting that we could take precedent from chess- one document outlining best practices for streamers in a chess league is this.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
question/suggestion: are there any guidelines for streamers about streaming their tournament games? It's quite possible that if they are reading/interacting with chat during the game that they become privy to information they should not have or are otherwise helped. There is also a stream sniping element that should be considered. It's worth noting that we could take precedent from chess- one document outlining best practices for streamers in a chess league is this.
The official policy on this is as follows:
Cheating: Cheating in it's various forms is entirely prohibited. Players found to be cheating will suffer Tournament Bans and be infracted accordingly. Some forms of cheating may lead to the match that the cheating happened in being replayed, while others don't. What consists of cheating can be found later on in this thread, though it is always up to TD discretion. Repeated offenders are always treated more harshly, as are people in positions of power such as Tournament Directors and Managers. Admitting to cheating might get your punishment reduced by up to 25% of it's length. We reserve the right to offer immunity to a cheater in exchange for information regarding cheating.

--------

Ghosting: Ghosting is defined as giving any piece of advice to someone playing a game. Any form of direct advice is considered ghosting. A player should be able to make their own decisions based on what they observe by themselves. Asking for suggestions or affirmation adds an unfair dynamic and greatly reduces the chances of making mistakes. Our tournaments are designed to be tests of individual skill, not the skill of one player with the support of others providing suggestions or preventing bad plays. Playing a game while in a voice call with someone else will always be treated as ghosting of the highest severity.

The punishment for ghosting is a Tournament Ban that can range anywhere from 3 months to 1 year, depending on a series of factors.

Note that all of this applies to the Smogtours lobby, as such no suggesting of moves or speculation on the sets of either players will be tolerated.
Smogon is less ardently policy-driven than somewhere like lichess and ultimately what does and doesn't count as cheating or ghosting is up to individual host's discretion. This is because Smogon is a community within which tournaments are held, while lichess can be imagined more so as a platform just for different brackets and skill levels of the same tournament (or league), and so uniformity across lichess’ single league are much more important and desirable than throughout Smogon’s many tournaments. It's advisable for streamers to ask the hosts of the particular tournament ahead of time what their view on streaming is, as some will consider it ghosting and others won't. I believe personally that ghosting isn't a huge problem in Pokémon because at the top level, everyone should know every mechanic anyway, and this is the only thing that chat can really help with. Pokémon has fewer "optimal" moves and is much more based on percentage risk and gambits than chess, particularly since both turns occur simultaneously while in chess players take it in turns, and so a good player with a twitch chat telling them to do one thing because they think it's statistically optimal (the only other potential advantage) would be overruled by a good player who opts to make a gambit instead of doing the optimal, or predictable, play.

I haven't heard of a tournament placing restrictions on streaming yet, but there also aren't many top Pokémon players who stream for this to be relevant. But the answer to the question is tournament hosts do have the right to do so if they feel it's necessary.

Last edited:
im going for the tier contributor badge, and I have 3 reqs right now for OU. But, one of those reqs was during gen 7 ou, while the other 2 are in gen 8 ou. If gen 8 ou gets another suspect test, and if i make reqs for it, will i be eligible for the badge? or does it all have to be in the same gen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 4)