Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

I need a help how to make good team on PS?:smogthink:
Hello! Now this is something that I've heard lots of people ask. I always tell them to check the following of the tier that they want to play:
  • Viability Rankings: Ranks every usable Pokémon into "tiers" and gives you an overall idea of what's good and what's outclassed.
  • Sample Teams: The Sample Teams are a treasure trove for new people. They tell you what and how the teams are made for a tier, what to bring, what to keep in mind while making a team, etc.
  • The Usage Stats: Kind of the same thing as the VR's (but quite different!). Nice to know the current metagame trends and all.
  • Set Compendium: What sets are viable on a Pokémon. Sometimes people get very creative (looking at you Thimo, Power-Up Punch Rai was...), but more often than not the "higher" levels of creativity backfire and you're left with a bad set or something. This, as a whole, would be extremely useful for beginners.
  • Good cores: What mixes and matches with what, etc.
  • Role Compendium: Gives a nice view of the Roles the Pokémon can do. Remember, a Pokémon can have many roles, so chose wisely, something that fits your team!
These are, usually, enough to tell you what're the main things to know about a certain tier. To get to know more, join the Discord of the tier to ask questions and get live answers!
You can find these resources of the respective tier by searching for the tier here.

can someone pls give me some tips to win random double battles easily, i have participated in a tournament on smogon so i need your help to become pro
Hello! The main thing about RandBats is to utilise what you get. You're gonna get an assortment of Pokémon, ranging from Zacian-Crowned to things like Sandaconda (I hope I got the spelling right?). Now, what you need to do is use them correctly. Each Pokémon has its pro's and con's, and with the levels being scaled (based on tiering and RandBat win rates), almost everything is usable in some way or the other.
Something like Xerneas, which is extremely threatening with Power Herb + Geomancy, might not be able to sweep by setting up Turn 1! Pokémon such as Garbodor, Blissey, Chansey etc come in its way to stop its sweep. The thing we get to know here is that, even though setting up Turn 1 might be appeasing, try to get up hazards before doing that. Hazards help a lot here, as you can never be sure that the opposing team is gonna get hazard control (Defog or Rapid Spin, or Poison- types to absorb Toxic Spikes). Suddenly, these become the most powerful tools in your team, which would aid you no matter what.
There are a lot of other things that I can't really cover here (I blame my lack of experience haha), but what I've linked below would help you a lot much than... my advice..
These are two The Flying Press Articles written by some extremely experienced player in Rands, which helped me when I was starting with Rands too!
Try taking some time to read the Articles, depending on what Gen you have that Tournament for. These don't guarantee that you'll become a "pro", that's, well, gradual, but these would help you get a nice grasp of the metagame and how it works.
Even though Doubles is a different thing, these will at least tell you the major points of Rands.

I was looking to try out some different tiers. Does someone have recommendations or is there a better place to ask this question?
That totally depends on what you like and not like. I play AG and PH, and when I get bored, I pay ORAS OU, so yeah, it's upon ya.

how to add gif in signature?
It's simple, same as how you add images. Click the "Signature" part in Your Account, go to the toolbar, click the thing which looks like a scenery, upload the image/gif, or click the "By URL" option, and paste the URL of the image/gif.
If you can't do that, something like this would also work:
Code:
[IMG]insert image/gif URL here[/IMG]
And voilà, you get a GIF in your sig.

Hello! Now this is something that I've heard lots of people ask. I always tell them to check the following of the tier that they want to play:
  • Viability Rankings: Ranks every usable Pokémon into "tiers" and gives you an overall idea of what's good and what's outclassed.
  • Sample Teams: The Sample Teams are a treasure trove for new people. They tell you what and how the teams are made for a tier, what to bring, what to keep in mind while making a team, etc.
  • The Usage Stats: Kind of the same thing as the VR's (but quite different!). Nice to know the current metagame trends and all.
  • Set Compendium: What sets are viable on a Pokémon. Sometimes people get very creative (looking at you Thimo, Power-Up Punch Rai was...), but more often than not the "higher" levels of creativity backfire and you're left with a bad set or something. This, as a whole, would be extremely useful for beginners.
  • Role Compendium: Gives a nice view of the Roles the Pokémon can do. Remember, a Pokémon can have many roles, so chose wisely, something that fits your team!
These are, usually, enough to tell you what're the main things to know about a certain tier. To get to know more, join the Discord of the tier to ask questions and get live answers!
You can find these resources of the respective tier by searching for the tier here.

Hello! The main thing about RandBats is to utilise what you get. You're gonna get an assortment of Pokémon, ranging from Zacian-Crowned to things like Sandaconda (I hope I got the spelling right?). Now, what you need to do is use them correctly. Each Pokémon has its pro's and con's, and with the levels being scaled (based on tiering and RandBat win rates), almost everything is usable in some way or the other.
Something like Xerneas, which is extremely threatening with Power Herb + Geomancy, might not be able to sweep by setting up Turn 1! Pokémon such as Garbodor, Blissey, Chansey etc come in its way to stop its sweep. The thing we get to know here is that, even though setting up Turn 1 might be appeasing, try to get up hazards before doing that. Hazards help a lot here, as you can never be sure that the opposing team is gonna get hazard control (Defog or Rapid Spin, or Poison- types to absorb Toxic Spikes). Suddenly, these become the most powerful tools in your team, which would aid you no matter what.
There are a lot of other things that I can't really cover here (I blame my lack of experience haha), but what I've linked below would help you a lot much than... my advice..
These are two The Flying Press Articles written by some extremely experienced player in Rands, which helped me when I was starting with Rands too!
Try taking some time to read the Articles, depending on what Gen you have that Tournament for. These don't guarantee that you'll become a "pro", that's, well, gradual, but these would help you get a nice grasp of the metagame and how it works.
Even though Doubles is a different thing, these will at least tell you the major points of Rands.

That totally depends on what you like and not like. I play AG and PH, and when I get bored, I pay ORAS OU, so yeah, it's upon ya.

It's simple, same as how you add images. Click the "Signature" part in Your Account, go to the toolbar, click the thing which looks like a scenery, upload the image/gif, or click the "By URL" option, and paste the URL of the image/gif.
Code:
thanks but i saw your post after losing

Last edited:

Code:
thank u :heart:

Is it possible to recover an account with a deleted email address? I'd like to delete my old and dead account from 2015 but I've swapped PCs since then and don't happen to have the password on me (despite throwing everything I've got). Sorry if this was the wrong place to ask this!

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
what does the Glicko+-1 column means in PS?
It's an alternative way to assess someone skill with both a rating and a deviation. Most people just consider Elo and GXE, because the first one allow to rank people and second one give a good indicator of the ability to win games of a player. However, if you want to understand how Glicko-1 is calculated, you can check these links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system
https://pokemonshowdown.com/pages/ladderhelp

(also this is maybe more a Pokemon Showdown than a Smogon question)

Gangsta Spongebob

"Mama I'm a Criminal" - Badass Smoking Caterpillar
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hello! I have a few questions regarding Name Changes:

1. What exactly are the repercussions of a Profile Lock? Will our Accounts on Showdown also be locked? Is there a resource where I can find the implications of a Profile Lock?

2. Will Custom Titles showing our previous name be removed after a certain time period?

3. How do we contact Super Moderators/Admins to remove our lock? Do we simply ask in the name change thread?

4. For the 100 Posts rule, is it only our Messages, or does it include Profile Posts as well?

Apologies if these questions are a little dim, and thank you for answering them.

romanji

you deserve someone better
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I have a few questions regarding Name Changes:

1. What exactly are the repercussions of a Profile Lock? Will our Accounts on Showdown also be locked? Is there a resource where I can find the implications of a Profile Lock? (I’ve had a name change)

2. Will Custom Titles showing our previous name be removed after a certain time period?

3. How do we contact Super Moderators/Admins to remove our lock? Do we simply ask in the name change thread?

4. For the 100 Posts rule, is it only our Messages, or does it include Profile Posts as well?

Apologies if these questions are a little dim, and thank you for answering them.
Speaking from experience since I’ve had a name change before

1. A profile lock is that you aren’t able to change your profile picture and about section for about a month. It’s not that consequential and has no impact on Showdown.

2. Usually after about a month.

3. Ask in the name change thread if not unlocked already.

4. Only for forum posts, profile messages do not count for the message count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)