Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What kind of questions we are NOT allowed to ask here?
(before you answer YES I have read the forum rules,but my experience indicates that there are secret rules that we have to magically know about).
there are no secret rules, you just need to use common sense and not persist on issues that have already been answered respectfully. most of the questions you asked have been fine its your responses back saying things like "a yes or no would've been fine" is snarky and not productive. its very easy to follow the rules if you just use a bit of common sense.

there are no secret rules, you just need to use common sense and not persist on issues that have already been answered respectfully. most of the questions you asked have been fine its your responses back saying things like "a yes or no would've been fine" is snarky and not productive. its very easy to follow the rules if you just use a bit of common sense.
By hidden rules I meant the forums as a whole (like the hidden rule that says that we can't go to dpp simple question simple answer and ask why the sample teams don't have a summary on how they work just like in bw forums,and that other hidden rule that says that we can't go to dpp sample teams and leave a comment that 2 of the sample teams are outdated and non-fuctional.both of these secret rules got me penalized and that modderator(excal) got away with it both times since the rules are awfully rigged in favor of the power abusing modderators.).

And what do you mean that my response was "snarky"?no seriously what do you mean?I didn't get to any trouble for that response,nobody told me that there was something wrong with it.

And what does "not productive" even mean?
What even is a "productive" response?

Last edited:
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I just have a question about Singles format. Which UB is the best in Singles? I believe Pheromosa and Naganadel are in Ubers but I do not know if that is a singles or doubles format, as the new changes with SwSh have confused me. I would just like to know what UB has the best tactics and the fewest checks and counters. Thanks!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I just have a question about Singles format. Which UB is the best in Singles? I believe Pheromosa and Naganadel are in Ubers but I do not know if that is a singles or doubles format, as the new changes with SwSh have confused me. I would just like to know what UB has the best tactics and the fewest checks and counters. Thanks!
General tiering for Smogon formats are 6v6 Level 100 singles, so Pokemon in Ubers have been banned in that specific format. Doubles formats are specifically labelled as such, like "Doubles Overused" and "Doubles Ubers".

Which UB is the best is largely based on the format you're talking about, since many of the Pokemon banned from OU are unviable in Ubers, while other OU-legal UBs are more useful in Ubers.

It's probably Pheromosa if you're talking about something based on OU though.

Hello! I would like to know if there is a battle format to play with a friend in a double battle, against two other people (a battle with 4 players)

Hello! I would like to know if there is a battle format to play with a friend in a double battle, against two other people (a battle with 4 players)
I think it's Free-For-All random battle, where 4 people are gonna battling each other, if you want to play with your friend then you'll have to invite 2 more people, otherwise you may have to battle against complete strangers.

I think it's Free-For-All random battle, where 4 people are gonna battling each other, if you want to play with your friend then you'll have to invite 2 more people, otherwise you may have to battle against complete strangers.
Thanks ! That's part of what I was looking for, however I meant my friend to be an ally during the battle

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello :)
How do I enter a tournament I am new.
Let's use the ongoing BW NU Cup as an example. First, you'll go to the tournament thread, which can be found under the Tournaments Subforum, then click one of the options to find the tournament you want to sign up for. In our case, you'd click "Circuit Tournaments", then "Smogon Metagames Circuits". Then, find the thread of the tournament you want to sign up for. The thread for the BW NU Cup can be found here. Simply post "in" on the thread and you're entered! Assuming you miss the signup phase, you can sign up as a Substitute during the first week and will be added to the list of people that might be paired, though there is no guarantee. Once the first round starts, you'll be tagged in a post that looks like this. Before signing up, I do recommend that you read the Smogon Tournament Rules and Guidelines, as it gives you a guide on how to do things like schedule properly. It also gives a more comprehensive guide on signing up for and playing tournaments then this one.

Burner2.9

Banned deucer.
Let's use the ongoing BW NU Cup as an example. First, you'll go to the tournament thread, which can be found under the Tournaments Subforum, then click one of the options to find the tournament you want to sign up for. In our case, you'd click "Circuit Tournaments", then "Smogon Metagames Circuits". Then, find the thread of the tournament you want to sign up for. The thread for the BW NU Cup can be found here. Simply post "in" on the thread and you're entered! Assuming you miss the signup phase, you can sign up as a Substitute during the first week and will be added to the list of people that might be paired, though there is no guarantee. Once the first round starts, you'll be tagged in a post that looks like this. Before signing up, I do recommend that you read the Smogon Tournament Rules and Guidelines, as it gives you a guide on how to do things like schedule properly. It also gives a more comprehensive guide on signing up for and playing tournaments then this one.
Thank you

I'm new to comp pokemon and I want to know what are the recommended ways to start out. I've picked a sample team, but I don't really know how to use it. Sorry if this is a faq, but the b101 section seems to be aimed towards intermediate players.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I'm new to comp pokemon and I want to know what are the recommended ways to start out. I've picked a sample team, but I don't really know how to use it. Sorry if this is a faq, but the b101 section seems to be aimed towards intermediate players.
Hey tinywretch, welcome! B101 is indeed more aimed towards intermediate players and you should start by trying to get the basis of the game. I don’t know how new to comp Pokemon you are, if you're still not familiar with stuff like IVs/EVs and main game's mechanics I would advice searching for guides on youtube as there's plenty of very good ones to understand how all this works. Once you have this first knowledge about the game (if you don't already have it), picking a tier and trying out sample teams is the way to go. Though, you will indeed have troubles finding out how to play these teams at first and there's other ressources you can use.

First one is the smogdex where you can find a bunch of analyses for most Pokemon in most tiers. They may not all be up to date, but they can help understanding how each Pokemon works, what does it beat, what type of sets it can run... Here is the main smogdex page: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/ (you can filter by tier and Pokemon).

Another great ressource is the tier subforum here on smogon and especially some threads like the Viability ranking which help understanding what works well in the tier (for example here is the ou one: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ranking-thread-see-page-90-post-2242.3674058/).

Lasty, you can try asking for feedback on your game with replays in PS rooms like the room of the tier you are playing or the Trainer Academy room (kind of b101 for PS). You won't always find someone willing to review your game but some people may accept to help and give you advices.

Once you've gather some first knowledge in a tier, then yeah b101 is a good place to get even better. Hope this was helpful, my PMs are open if you want to talk more about all this or if you have questions, have a nice day!

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
We'll do our best to answer every question in this thread, but if your question relates to a specific part of the forums, you'll likely get a much quicker answer there. For your convenience, here are links to the Simple Questions & Answers threads in Smogon's various forums:
OverUsed
Ubers
UnderUsed
RarelyUsed
NeverUsed
PU
Little Cup
Doubles
Other Metagames
Anything Goes
Past Generations
VGC
Battle Stadium
Wi-Fi
Random Number Generator
Corrections & Contributions
Pokemon Showdown!
Create-A-Pokemon
Suggestion: adding the National Dex SQSA thread to this list

did this - kaede

Hey tinywretch, welcome! B101 is indeed more aimed towards intermediate players and you should start by trying to get the basis of the game. I don’t know how new to comp Pokemon you are, if you're still not familiar with stuff like IVs/EVs and main game's mechanics I would advice searching for guides on youtube as there's plenty of very good ones to understand how all this works. Once you have this first knowledge about the game (if you don't already have it), picking a tier and trying out sample teams is the way to go. Though, you will indeed have troubles finding out how to play these teams at first and there's other ressources you can use.

First one is the smogdex where you can find a bunch of analyses for most Pokemon in most tiers. They may not all be up to date, but they can help understanding how each Pokemon works, what does it beat, what type of sets it can run... Here is the main smogdex page: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/ (you can filter by tier and Pokemon).

Another great ressource is the tier subforum here on smogon and especially some threads like the Viability ranking which help understanding what works well in the tier (for example here is the ou one: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ranking-thread-see-page-90-post-2242.3674058/).

Lasty, you can try asking for feedback on your game with replays in PS rooms like the room of the tier you are playing or the Trainer Academy room (kind of b101 for PS). You won't always find someone willing to review your game but some people may accept to help and give you advices.

Once you've gather some first knowledge in a tier, then yeah b101 is a good place to get even better. Hope this was helpful, my PMs are open if you want to talk more about all this or if you have questions, have a nice day!
Awesome! Thank you so much for the help <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)