Smogon Snake Draft III: UU Discussion

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Smogon Snake Draft Introduction

Hey all! Smogon Snake Draft III has officially commenced with the completion of yesterday's draft and some interesting trades. You know the drill; feel free to discuss this tour's UU scene, go over any games, trends, or any other areas of relevance. I'll try my best to keep this thread updated throughout the tour.

The Shinto Ruin Serpents trade Tamahome, ZoroDark to the Ambrette Astrotias for Star, Sacri'

The Ambrette Astrotias trade TonyFlygon, august, GaryTheGengar to the Rumble Hall Rattlers for Lycans, Mint16, Feliburn

ASTROTIAS: -star, -sacri', -TonyFlygon, -august, -GaryTheGengar, +tamahome, +zorodark, +lycans, +mint16, +feliburn

SERPENTS: -tamahome, -zorodark, +star, +sacri'

RATTLERS: -lycans, -mint16, -feliburn, +TonyFlygon, +august, +GaryTheGengar

Potential UUers:

Terminus Taipans:
robjr, Mana, jake, sjneider
Berry Forest Bushmasters: Amane Misa, yeezyknows
Black City Mambas: Christo, ict, Jarii
Celadon City Cobras: UltraBallzz, Accelgor, Bouff, Tman :bloblul:
Shinto Ruin Serpents: Corckscrew, Sacri' :bloblul:, DurzaOffTopic
Lanakila Nagas: Adaam, Kink
Sky Tower Lindwurms: col49, Indigo Plateau, HT
Ambrette Astrotias: Lycans, HarrisIsAwesome
Lake of Rage Leviathans: Charmflash, Corazan
Rumble Hall Rattlers: TDK, TonyFlygon, Gondra, Kushalos

1. robjr
2. Christo
3. TDK
4. Lycans
5. Adaam
6. Charmflash
7. Accelgor
8. HT
9. Amane Misa
10. Corckscrew

1. Corazan (3-0)
2. Accelgor (3-1)
3. HT (2-1)
3. Amane Misa (2-1)
4. Adaam (2-2)
4. Christo (2-2)
5. yeezyknows (1-0)
6. SoulWind (1-1)
6. DurzaOffTopic (1-1)
6. TDK (1-1)
7. Lycans (1-2)
8. Indigo Plateau (0-0)
9. Charmflash (0-1)
10. Corckscrew (0-2)
11. robjr (0-4)

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Personal rankings:

robjr
Christo
Adaam
Lycans
TDK
HT
Accelgor
Amane Misa
Corazan
Corckscrew

Previous team tour experience had a huge role to play in these as is probably evident, but I feel like these are honestly fair for my experience of playing and watching these guys.

Some personal opinions: I think rob with Pearl support could be absolutely insane, if I could pick one person I’d love to see do well it would be Accel, and the team most likely to upset this list is the Misa/Yeezy combo. Gl all, give us some good games to watch!

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not sure about HT playing UU as he only signed up in PU and LC whereas Lopunny Kicks seems very likely to be the UU slot seing how well he performed in UUPL and col49 is needed in NU, but only week 1 will tell. Trades might also shake things up

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
Week one's up. Ton of highlight games here, excited to catch these.

SM UU: Lycans vs TDK (50-50)

Strong early pairing between two of UU's most mercurial figures. Both are outstanding players in their own right, yet both do have existing question marks. Lycans requested a builder, and his subpar maduro-borne connection could prove problematic. However, Harris is an experienced builder and should provide lycans with strong prep and a respectable team. TDK's had some shaky showings in recent memory, yet his tournament pedigree alone allots him a lofty floor with regard to playing. Pak support is also invaluable, and should go a long way with the duo's collective skill in teambuilding. Very hard to pick a definitive winner, should be a close game.

SM UU: Charmflash vs Accelgor (55-45)

Prior to UUPL, Charm was a relatively unknown quantity in UU. He was evidently a skilled player, but his experiences in uu were largely limited to discord leagues, wherein he created the infamous charmflash special. In uupl, he overtly and summarily demonstrated his skill in the tier, posting a fantastic record while being largely self-sufficient and innovating some wild techs. His opponent is Accel, a mainer who has been largely relegated to the building/prepping sidelines during the past two iterations of official UU tour play. However, this tournament exposure has provided Accel with a strong building floor and a phenomenal grasp of the metagame. Ultimately, a moderate playing edge should be provided to Charm, with Accel maintaining a building edge, as Charm's main means of support is Corazan, another non-mainer. This small disparity in building, however, doesn't discount Charm's strong ability as a builder, it solely reflects Accel's strength in building.

SM UU: HT vs Corckscrew (60-40)

Before open, this pairing would've been next to unheard of. HT was seemingly done with UU and Corck was unknown to the scene at large. However, Corck's demonstrated respectable skill, making it far in uu open and taking down several strong players in the process, catching the eye of obii and flcl. His support is questionable, as his main means of building support lies in flcl and durza, two players who themselves required building support to have successful uupl and open runs, respectively. Obviously HT's playing has been the subject of scrutiny recently, but his tournament pedigree does award him a strong floor, albeit far lower than others in the pool.

SM UU: Christo vs robjr (50-50)

Highlight of the tournament. Christo's been one of the most consistent figures in uu, posting eyepoppingly successful results in numerous official teamtours. Rob's had similar results, albeit not to such a profound degree. However, what truly evens the scale is Pearl support. Pearl's been unquestionably one of the top builders in uu over the course of the entire generation, and strength of his support has remained evident through the records of Sage and Pak in previous iterations of uu tour play. Slight playing edge to Christo, slight building edge to Rob/Pearl. Should be a great game.

misa adaam scheduled for sometime sunday misa keeps johning i've edited this like three times lmao

Last edited:

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Week 2 matchups are up and there are some promising games here. Let's dive into it!

SM UU: HT vs Christo (45-55)

Both players are coming off of a win last week and thus have a good bit of momentum going for them here. Their previous matchups throughout the years, most notably their last SPL game, probably lead the average viewer to believe that Christo has the upper hand here. Both are capable builders for sure, however the scales seem to be ever so slightly tipped in HT's favor here especially with the underrated building support Indigo Plateau offers. Nonetheless, I do believe Christo's ceiling as a player is definitely a notch or two higher than HT's and these high level games ultimately come down to the player with the better execution.

SM UU: Adaam vs Lycans (50-50)

Here we have the UU highlight matchup of the week (imo) between two of my beloved friends. Adaam's versatility in the builder is nearly unmatched and I do expect him to bounce back strong after last week's game, the team for which he used seemed to deviate from the styles he'd previously found success with. Lycans capably built his team shortly before his own game last week and has a previously successful UU savant in Harris to support him if necessary. We're all well aware of how capable these two are as players and I truly believe that the X-factor here is their building potency.

SM UU: Amane Misa vs Corckscrew (60-40)

Misa is coming off of a strong debut as a starter last week and seems to be the favorite here with her clear building and playing advantages. Corck on the other hand, has been viewed as the weakest link in the UU snake pool and hasn't done much to help his case after he used a well known rmt and lost. He did have a decent open run and I don't want to completely write off his chances versus anyone in the pool, but until we see some sort of substance it's tough to give him any sort of edge here.

SM UU: robjr vs Corazan (60-40)

The Leviathans pulled up with what is probably their most optimal lineup and with Charmflash operating in OU now, Corazan gets to shine. Making it to the finals of open is no small feat and he showed promise by taking down some tough opponents along the way. Despite this recent success, it does seem foolish to fully expect him to come out on top here and write off robjr's win potential in the progress. There is some pressure that comes with a delayed start and while Corazan's more than capable of winning this game, I believe the combined might of the Taipans' UU building prowess and robjr's hunger for a win after an undesirable start to the tour will be enough to credit him with a win here.

TDK and I will most probably play at some time during the evening (est) this Saturday, and I hope that our game proves to be as enjoyable as the rest of these matchups are bound to be.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
SM UU: HT vs Christo (40-60)

Both won last week, but I felt that HT’s win was helped a lot by the suboptimal plays his opponent made, as he made a couple himself which didn’t really get punished while Christo took a comfortable win against one of the best players in the pool. HT and Indigo might be able to work themselves a nice matchup again here, but I think Christo’s superior play will see this one home.

SM UU: Adaam vs Lycans (51-49)

While Adaam lost last week, I thought he did ok in a matchup that was definitely against him and was ultimately unlucky to lose with the way things went in the end. I wasn’t really a fan of Lycans’ team last week, but he played very well in parts of the game showing why he’s one of the players everybody considers to be among the best in this pool. I ended up going for Adaam here cos I think these two are extremely close and similar in terms of playing, but I expect Adaam to use the better build.

SM UU: Amane Misa vs Corckscrew (60-40)

Seemingly contrary to popular opinion, I wasn’t all that high on Misa’s game from last week. I thought she played well early but could’ve been more patient for the endgame, instead of requiring 2 flinches on the Doublade which gave her a lower chance of winning the game than the matchup and early game merited (impossible to say the game was over with unrevealed sets, but I think Adaam had a big advantage if he broke through either flinch). Corckscrew had a bad debut, there’s really no nice way to say it. Bringing such a well known and publicised team into playing poorly, it will take a big improvement for him to get results so I have to go with Misa here, think this could be a comfortable one.

SM UU: robjr vs Corazan (65-35)

rob lost quite convincingly last week, but I’m absolutely confident that’s a one-off as opposed to anything to worry about, especially when it’s to Christo. I’m still excited to see what him and Pearl can do this season, and I think that should start here. Corazan took some nice scalps in open but I think this is a different ball game and I struggle to see him bringing as solid a build or outplaying Rob.

SM UU: Accelgor vs TDK (45-55)

Thought both these guys played nice games last week, so it should be interesting to see if they can continue that into this week and give us a great watch. I’ve just leaned towards TDK as I think he’s just got a little bit more versatility as a player and experience in this kind of environment, and while his record of late isn’t so hot there’s been a lot of shit in there making it look worse than it perhaps should. As with all of his games this season tho I’ll be wanting Accel to win so I hope he “upsets” this prediction!

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I thought I would give my general thought process and my thoughts on key turns on the two games I just played, the one vs Adaam and the second vs Corckscrew. This is the first time I am doing such a thing and I do not think that I am the best at expressing my thoughts process but I figured I might as well give it a try.

Week 1 vs Adaam: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-454801

I wasn't expecting Adaam to bring a hyper offense vs me and I was right; he brought a semi-stall team. The premise of the team is that SD Cobalion + Choice Scarf Krookodile weaken the majority of Curse Mega Aggron's answers, and that's what I mainly planned to do going into this game. Luckily, I got a good matchup with Togekiss + Mega Aggron. My goal on team preview was to eliminate Rotom-H so Mega Aggron could sweep but I knew that Togekiss also had a good matchup vs Adaam's team. I led with Krookodile in order to try and catch Rotom-H turn 1 as it was a generally good lead vs me.

From there, I just focused on eliminating Rotom-H and chipping Doublade. Hence why I tried to get Stealth Rock up vs Gligar at all cost. A second Swords Dance was probably a misplay looking back at it, but it eventually worked out by not giving Rotom-H a Pain Split.

Turn 45 (+2 SpA Togekiss vs Doublade):
While I could've been more patient, the potential opening I had with Togekiss was too good for me to give up. While it wasn't necessarily in my favor, it wasn't too unlikely for me to get two flinches on Doublade. Losing Togekiss meant that I had to rely on Mega Aggron as my wincon but looking at Adaam's team, all I needed to do is to eliminate Rotom-H, something the team was capable of even after losing Togekiss and Tentacruel.

Nonetheless, it was a good game I really enjoyed playing and I'd like to shoutout Adaam for letting me john the game twice.

Week 2 vs Corckscrew: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-455138

People might argue that the preparation was bad in my part but I genuinely believed in my ability to beat Corckscrew with this stall team I made and really liked, despite the fact I've used that team already in tournaments.

At the team preview, I did not think the matchup highly in anyone's favor. While Stealth Rock Hippowdon + Savage Spin-Out Scizor + SubToxic Salazzle might not straight up break stall, this core is really annoying for stall to break. While Blissey beat Mega Blastoise and Latias (or so I thought!), Corckscrew's own Blissey could've been annoying because it came in on almost every member of the team and healed up its teammates relatively safely.

Throughout the game, I focused on not letting Alolan Muk take any unnecessary damage because Salazzle on its own wasn't that big of a threat. My premise was that infinite switches between Mega Altaria, Gligar, and Blissey beat Salazzle if Stealth Rock isn't up. I tried my best to catch Hippowdon with a Toxic but my first Toxic unfortunately missed which made things slightly tougher. I remained calm and told myself I'll eventually get my opening to either get a surprise hit with Pyukumuku's counter or get a surprise Toxic on one of Corckscrew's Pokemon (like what I eventually did on Mega Blastoise on turn 61).

Turn 78 (Flame Orb on Latias was revealed):
Although this turn made me very uncomfortable I told myself to remain calm and I thought of the following thought process:
  1. Flame Orb screams Psycho Shift + Stored Power. Assuming Latias is max HP, a burnt Alolan Muk's Knock Off didn't do enough and Latias had the potential to break the main core of my team, if not the entire team.
  2. I switch to Alomomola and click Knock Off. I purposely didn't switch to Alolan Muk first to bait him to not click Psycho Shift on my Alolan Muk.
  3. I switch to Alolan Muk and bait the Psycho Shift. In the next turn, I go Blissey and continue to beat Latias with either Alolan Muk or Blissey, if my plan worked.
Luckily, my l plan worked and I managed to badly poison Latias and keep my healthy Alolan Muk. Psycho Shift failed if Latias tried to pass the Poison ailment to Alolan Muk because it's a Poison-type, so there was no way for Latias to beat my team.

From there, I pretty much reached all the goals I set: Hippowdon was badly poisoned, Salazzle was weakened, and Latias was neutralized. My opponent realized that and forfeited.

Now, some predictions for the next games this week:

UU: HT vs Christo - HT is a good player but I bet on Christo to take it because his performances in the last SPL and in the last week's game impress me a lot.

UU: Adaam vs Lycans - Adaam is on fire right now, after an impressive UU Open performance and while Lycans has proven himself to be a good player he hasn't been as active as Adaam lately. Hence, I predict Adaam to win the match.

UU: Accelgor vs TDK - Although TDK kicked my ass in UUPL I have to vote for Accelgor here. TDK is a good builder but I feel like Accelgor is a better builder at UU and so I believe Accelgor will have a good matchup and play patiently and safelty to win. However, TDK can definitely bring an unorthodox team and throw Accelgor completely off-guard.

UU: robjr vs Corazan - I was in robjr's team last UUPL and I've seen nothing but very smart plays and well-calculated games. Although Corazan made it far this UU Open, robjr is probably gonna take it.

very fire games this week, GL to everybody!

UU: (Adaam vs Lycans (49 | 51)
This is a really even match up. I think Lycans is a slightly better player, while Adaam has shown solid metagame knowledge and good team building as well as being a good player. Lycans on the other hand has stayed super consistent and has more tour experience, but relies on other ppls teams so that could be an issue. Since lycans won and adaam lost I give him a slight edge.
UU: Accelgor vs TDK (45 | 55)
Accelgor played decently and won in w1 but I feel like he has a tendency to build too standard which can be a drawback in bo1 tours. TDK lost pretty comfortably vs lycans but still showed decent play.I think if he can throw accelgor off guard with a creative set he can take the win here. This can go either way tho, I just feel like tdk going 0-2 is unlikely.
UU: robjr vs Corazan (65 | 35)
robjr is one of the most consistent UUers and he rarely makes blunders in his games. He stays pretty consistent with his team choices so that could be an issue if Corazan preps well. Corazan on the other hand I have never seen play and only know he did well in uu open. Strong edge.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Guys please make this threat undead :pirate: we shouldn’t be outdone by the other sub forums.

Lycans vs DurzaOffTopic (65/35) - I was impressed with Durza when we played, but he didn’t build himself. I have zero faith in Serpents UU building after bringing two known teams (including Christo’s RMT cmon now). Durza might be motivated to build his own for his debut, but until then Lycans is the favorite.

Christo vs Corazan (60/40) - Corazan is quite good, but Christo should be the favorite in every MU until proven otherwise. I also wasn’t a fan of the team Corazan used last week, stop using Jellicent people.

HT vs Amane Misa (51/49) - Misa has a hot start, but I have faith in HT for what most would consider an upset (just don’t sack Sciz to Krook this time!!)

robjr vs Soulwind (55/45) - HL match for sure. These two have played in the past multiple times, but Soulwind usually won with stall. Robjr is definitely the better UU player, and despite being 0-2 (I think he won last week handily if he didn’t get crit), is my favorite to beat the majority of players.

Some thoughts about my game vs Lycans, replay here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-455536.

From preview I loved my Primarina’s matchup, especially if I got a surprise sub up from Infernape or Rhyperior. I was scared of CM Lati w/Thunder and a potential mixed Nape with Gunk Shot. I lead Prim since it had great mu vs most his team, and he leads Lati. My prim was max HP, so I lived a potential Z-Thunder (but it later revealed Specs), but I didn’t want to trade Prim for Lati, so I scout with Hydreigon. He goes Keys on the predicted Moonblast which gives my Nido free rocks. I win a big turn as he uses Thunder with Lati and I stay in with Nidoqueen and use Ice Beam. I stayed in since it lives any hit from non-specs Latias except Z-Draco, which I figured he wouldn’t drop with Prim in the back. Thankfully he raw Thunders and is forced out and sacks Keys. I make a pretty bad play and sack Nido (truth be told I still didn’t consider Specs at this point), but with no Keys, my Drei and Prim look real nice. He goes Sciz and I go Lucario and use a raw Z-Fight. I get surprised with scarf Zor since I expected Scarf Infernape as the team is so good against Lati, but I don’t get smashed by a Superpower so it’s all good. From here it’s a pretty straightforward cleaning with Prim once Nape reveals it isn’t Gunk Shot + I got to reveal Sub which was cool.

Last edited:
Lycans vs DurzaOffTopic (65/35) - lycans is better and more proven
HT vs Amane Misa (42/58) - Misa has been impressive thus far and has had some cool teams. HT is still a solid uu player but his teams havent been the best imo.
robjr vs Soulwind (53/47) - HL robjr has more uu knowledge, but soulwind is a slightly better player so its a toss up.
Adaam vs Accelgor (60/40) - adaam is better builder and a slightly better player, but if accel can bring something creative he can easily win.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I am late to the party but I promised I would do this.

UU: Accelgor vs Adaam - This is like deciding which is cuter, a hedgehog with a seatbelt on or a cat giving a dog a neck massage. Weird analogy but I think it holds true. Two of UU's most friendly faces and talented players heading it off. This is the match of the week no question about it. Accelgor got matchuped to absolute hell last week which discredits how well he can perform in this tour. That does also show that the king of prep can be out-prepped. Both very confident players but consistency always sways me in rankings. Adaam has been consistent. He has his style and plays to his strengths better than I've seen most players. Adaam also has the advantage in support with karate Kink and gama by his side.

UU: Corazan vs Christo - I really like this matchup because Corazan has displayed a lot of interest in learning this tier and is coming off his week 2 win high. With the support of Charmflash this is actually a much closer matchup than it may seem if Corazan can play a solid game. However, I am really liking Christo right now purely because of mentality. He displays a lot of confidence and has been a very strong player showing that with a 2-0 record and a strong performance in UU Open. I don't think any player will go undefeated so eventually he will lose, and it could be this week, but I'm not betting on it being this week.

UU: Amane Misa vs HT - HT has had a rough go of it last week and Misa has been playing very well, but I do think this is HT's week. A lot of people mark him off usually for the same reasons, lack of recent good performance. But if you look at the teams, HT has much more support. Misa has herself which is scary but no one else besides MEEPS and Eternally who don't consistently touch the tier. HT has Punny and IP who I hope will be working together after last weeks loss especially since they're facing Misa.

UU: SoulWind vs robjr - Rob + Pearl = nightmares for the competition. They have synergy and are consistently named the best players in the tier. I am going to go on a very thin unpopular limb and predict Soul Wind to win this week. I don't want to see rob 0-3 but Soul Wind is a capable player and even though TDK got moved to RU he still has his help along with Gondra, Tony, and Kush. Now this combo may not be the most active in SM UU but is nonetheless scary when it comes down to raw experience. I think the surprise factor is hugely in the favor of SW since Pearl and rob are far easier to prep for. I have this as the second best game of the week.

UU: DurzaOffTopic vs Lycans - I want nothing more than to see Durza win, but Lycans is Lycans. Durza made it far in UU Open, yes, however he was carried by Yeezy teams which he no longer has. Durza has no support other than Sacri but I don't know how much he will be helping Durza. I think Durza has the confidence to play a solid game but I don't think he has the prep needed to win this game.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
People complaining about keeping the thread alive is the only reason im here, idc about most of these matchups tho you're all trash :jynx:

UU: Accelgor vs Adaam (45/55) - This is like deciding which is cuter, a hedgehog with a seatbelt on or a cat giving a dog a neck massage. Weird analogy but I think it holds true. I'm kidding you're both hideous, luckily mons skill has nothing to do with physical attractiveness, because if it did there'd be like 3-4 good players on this site, so you both have a shot to win. You're both solid, I think accel is the better prepper by a small margin but giving Adaam the edge b/c he's been next to unbeatable leading into this tour. Stop using those blissey teams tho, use something good like alowak or claydol pls.

UU: Corazan vs Christo (40/60) - Idk all that much about cora but his teams are kinda cool even if not all super duper optimal. Christo's the obvious pick for sure but I'm mainly picking him for his shit talking prowess which is something I'd like to see more of in these tours. We're all a bunch of assholes in this community anyways, Christo is just more upfront about it which is respectable :blobthumbsup:.

UU: Amane Misa vs HT (0/100) - Ehhh if misa was good at building or had any building support maybe she'd win but unfort that's not the case, free dub for toenail.

UU: SoulWind vs robjr (35/65) - rob doesn't respond to me whenever I pm him like once every 3 fuckin years, so FUCK that guy!!! But idk shit about soulwind while rob has always been a down to earth pleasant human being. Don't let 0-2 get you down or make your confidence waver b/c even if you go 0-x you're still gonna be one of the cleanest uuers on the site. As for this mu, rob could be 0-478248 and I'd still bet on him, idk shit bout soulwind like I said.

UU: DurzaOffTopic vs Lycans (97.42/2.58) - Not only is durza playing this week in UU, but he's playing against a team that doesn't have yeezyknows on it. Which means yeezyknows can be the building support he doesn't otherwise have. However Nat def has some alowak HO she could pass him, could be a free dub ngl.

I hope you enjoyed this post but if you didn't I really don't care. Gl to everyone playing :fukyu:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lycans vs DurzaOffTopic - Lycan's superior playing skills and experience should guide him to win an offense vs offense match, but Durza can very well risk it and fish for the matchup by bringing some cheese.

Corazan vs Christo - even though Corazan won vs Rob his team was cheesy and I did not like it at all. Christo has the advantage at building and at playing so I'm expecting him to win unless he gets matchuped.

robjr vs Soulwind - a match I'm looking forward to. Rob started pretty weak but I believe in him to bounce back with full power. Soulwind's playing abilities are not to doubt but Rob simply has more experience in UU and is a very impressive player in general so it's hard not to vote in his favor.

Adaam vs Accelgor - this is a very interesting match because Adaam is a slightly better player but Accelgor is a more consistent builder. Generally speaking, though, both are good players and good builders and I am expecting to see a really close game.

I am playing HT on Saturday 6pm GMT+3.

Accel

thanks for the memories
As of week 3, this thread is now updated with the most recent replays and player standings. Thanks to everyone in the UU pool for putting on a show thus far, and I hope that the entertainment has only just begun.

Week 3 vs Adaam:

The Team:

This week I got the opportunity to play a long time friend in Adaam and seeing as he's a phenomenal builder and player, I knew that my own build and play had to be on point for me to even stand a chance. Adaam's versatility was clearly evident however, upon taking a closer look I noted that offensive waters generally looked nice and could help to position me into favorable situations. DD Feraligatr in particular stood out to me as it seemed to have a great matchup versus most of Adaam's frameworks, be they of offensive or balanced archetypes. It does have its flaws though as a middling speed tier leaves it vulnerable to be revenge killed quite often, even with a +1 boost to its speed. I figured that it might be best to use it exclusively as a breaker to potentially pave the way for a teammate to sweep and thus the type-spam tandem of Feraligatr and Mega Sharpedo became the base of the team.

From this point onwards it wasn't hard to round out the remaining 4 slots with the typical needs that are required of a Mega Sharpedo build. Spikes Klefki and a strong rocker in Rhyperior helped to set a high performance ceiling for both Feraligatr and Sharpedo, while also offering their usual defensive benefits. This Rhyperior set made use of an old BW tech in Rock Blast, which was originally useful to deal with Substitute users and the like. With Mimikyu becoming trendy, I figured it was a good tech to make use of to break its Disguise while also getting some additional damage onto it so that a teammate could have an easier time finishing it off. Amoonguss helped to fill more checkboxes and also looked great in that most of Adaam's balances and offenses weren't serviced by a cleric or any other way to prevent it from sporing something. An unorthodox CM/Recover/Draco Meteor/Thunder Latias set with Electrium-Z rounded out the team while pressurizing some of the Steels that would otherwise give this team some trouble.

The Game:

Preview: The two biggest threats that I had to keep in check were Adaam's Mimikyu and Bisharp, and giving either of those mons any momentum would definitely make things a lot trickier. As for my offensive game plan, I could definitely see the type-spam duo of Feraligatr and Mega Sharpedo putting in some great work and potentially being able to seal the game if I was able to get the necessary chip on Rotom-H, Swampert, and Bisharp, while also getting rid of Mimikyu's Disguise.

T1: Amoonguss was the perfect lead for me here as I had the option of immediately decommissioning one of Adaam's mons and therefore take a lead in the momentum game. Although a Spore was as free as ever versus his Swampert lead, I figured it would be a decent bet to Giga Drain instead and potentially gain some set data from his presumed switch-in. Rotom-H comes in and reveals that it isn't Leftovers, immediately signaling to me that this could be a scarf variant or something more typical like an iapapa set.

T2-4: Going Latias here rather than Rhyperior allowed me to block a potential Trick rather than having to play with a crippled Rhyperior for the rest of the game. Adaam Overheats with his Rotom-H and at this point, I expect him to bring in his Bisharp and begin to chip away at my team. To counteract this I bring in Amoonguss which would cover the Bisharp switch and threaten to Spore something. Rotom-H is now revealed to be Thunder Wave and I end with a more favorable outcome with Amoonguss being paralyzed in Latias's stead. At this point I can tank an Overheat if necessary and Spore either Rotom-H or another mon should Adaam choose to volt or hard switch into another mon. He goes Latias, and now I can essentially play 6v5 for a while.

T5-10: With Latias asleep, the natural play would be for me to go into Klefki and pressure Adaam with a layer of Spikes. This in turn could create a beneficial scenario where I would either retain the layer to get more efficient returns with Feraligatr and Sharpedo or get rocks up with Rhyperior should he choose to Defog them away with Rotom-H. With this in mind, Adaam's best play would be to capitalize on the expected Klefki switch and get some momentum back. He makes a great play and goes into his Swampert while I stay in and try to Giga Drain his Swampert, expecting this very sequence. Amoonguss does lose the turn due to full paralysis and Swampert lives to see another turn.

A couple of clicking (on my part) turns ensue as I aimed to force some more minor damage with Amoonguss and force my way into an opening. Latias burns a turn of sleep and eventually I pivot into Klefki to finally get some hazards momentum going. Adaam properly counteracts this with another Latias into Swampert switch and manages to get his rocks up as I bring Amoonguss in yet again. He now goes into his Rotom-H as Amoonguss gets full para'd again.

T11-14: At this point I bring in my Rhyperior on the Overheat to get my own rocks up, which I do as Adaam brings in his Swampert again. He nicely catches my expected Amoonguss switch with a Z-Ice Punch, almost taking Amoonguss out. Not wanting to sack Amoonguss just yet for the sake of potentially using it to get some Rocky Helmet damage onto Mimikyu or Bisharp, I pivot into Latias on his Ice Punch and it narrowly avoids getting KO'd.

T15-16: With Latias this low and Swampert still healthy, I figured it would be best to possibly get some damage off on it to open up either of my offensive waters. Adaam brings his Bisharp in on the Draco Meteor and seems to be in an immensely favorable position to deal some heavy damage. Seeing as I don't have a means of removing hazards on my team, I didn't think it was worth preserving Latias as a sack especially with Bisharp being a massive threat. A -2 Z-Thunder had great odds to down an offensive Bisharp set at that range and thankfully I'm able to pull it off and neutralize one of the more dangerous threats to my team.

T17-21: Adaam now brings in Mimikyu. I could have opted to break Mimikyu's Disguise with a Latias Thunder, but there were higher accuracy odds of going into Rhyperior instead to tank any one hit and retaliate with a Rock Blast. Mimikyu SDs up as I switch to Rhyperior and I end up getting 3 hits off which would put Mimikyu in range of a raw Sharpedo's Crunch. I sack Latias to bring in Sharpedo safely and proceed to do just this. Not mega'ing Sharpedo was necessary so that I could get around his Mega Aerodactyl or Latias later on in the game.

T22-28: Swampert comes in again as it's now Adaam's only stop to my Sharpedo. Seeing as Swampert was out of range of a Mega Sharpedo's Crunch, I sack Amoonguss to an EQ and proceed to bring in my Feraligatr. I now had the option to possibly whittle away at this Swampert just enough so that Sharpedo could take over the rest of the game from that point onward. Clicking any offensive move was the right play this turn but I guess I got a bit antsy and DD'd up as he EQ'd Feraligatr. This was a serious whiff on my part however, upon thinking on it a bit I realized Adaam's only way out was to sack something to a presumed Feraligatr attack and then revenge with Mega Aerodactyl. This would keep Swampert healthy in the process while giving him the best odds to play the game from there. With this telegraphed sequence in mind, I liked the risk/reward of a second DD as it was potentially game-sealing and thankfully it worked out with Feraligatr being able to take down the remaining 4 mons.

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
W4 vs Christo: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-457066

The Team:

1568649179917.png

I initially made this team for durza to pilot vs adaam in uu open semis because I wanted to tinker with stakataka+ice beam mbro. I believe that beam mbro is largely better than psyshock, as it allows you to serve as a dedicated counter to mega-altaria, while also having general utility vs hydreigon, latias, and amoonguss. Staka is also criminally underrated, acting as a bulky steel that also frees up a mega spot. Staka also does phenomenally versus the HOs that adaam likes to pilot, serving as strong means of counterplay against mimikyu, latias, and non-eq mshark.

I knew I wanted to use this build again after it had a rather convincing win in brazilian pl, and I believed that it would have a strong matchup versus Christo, who I expected to either HO again or possibly use stall. Christo had also mentioned in the uu discord a few weeks back that he was low on moltres, which furthered my desire to use this build, as specs HP steel (a pak tech) moltres can largely muscle though its softer checks. Moltres also has the added benefit of checking scizor, which is necessary when stakataka is your dedicated steel. With regard to stall, NP psychium recover celebi should beat most non-misa/muk/pyuku stalls on preview, again furthering my desire to use this build. Tenta and krook serve largely as glue mons, with tenta acting as secondary scizor counterplay and hazard control for moltres. Krook acts as speed control+ground type, with crunch added over stone edge as a means of shoring up the celebi weakness.

Game Summary:

Preview: Admittedly, I did have a bit of tunnel vision early on. I don't typically like to create long-form gameplans at preview as I believe that the game is largely susceptible to change over time. I lead moltres because it had a solid lead MU versus 4/6 mons, and I would've been able to get up rocks with staka had he lead with the other 2/6 (Latias and Snorlax). Snorlax seemed like a major issue, but I was confident that mbro could beat it 1 on 1, I just couldn't let it freely get curses in.

T1: Christo leads Krook, I lead Moltres. I assumed it was the rocker, but i didn't want to risk edge, so slowbro seemed like the best possible play.

T2: He goes lax, I go mbro. I cm here rather than scalding because I didn't want to give him a free curse.

T3-5, Pivoting/switching to avoid spore and ultimately get up rocks. I went hard celebi on amoonguss because I have recover had he decided to go for sludge bomb.

T6-12 Krook's rocks go up, tenta is sacked as sleep fodder, little progress is made on either side but I am gaining gradual chip damage with SR.

T13: Krook is in on Staka, I protect to scout for the z-eq, as it was possible for the combination of z-eq+knock/suit+rocks to KO slowbro, and I wanted to avoid that possible outcome at all costs.

T16-17: Staka absorbs the z-draco, and I immediately go krook, as it serves to counter both possible switches: magneton and krookodile.

T19-20 I fire off an Ice Beam, not wanting to let latias in for free and potentially inflict more damage to staka. Luckily, the magneton is frozen. However, I don't want to risk an immediate thaw, so I hard krook, which also covers all other potential switches.

T21: Knock is free, so I click it as opposed to making a potentially unnecessary and costly double.

T23-24: Krook comes in on tenta, giving me the perfect opportunity to begin setting up with mbro.

T25: I calc +3 mbro scald and find that it does ~38-45, allotting me a 3HKO. I don't want to greed unnecessary CMs here and potentially lose to return, albeit unlikely.

T27-End: Begin firing off scalds, kill lax, win from there.

Accel

thanks for the memories
Week 5 predicts:

SM UU: Lycans vs Amane Misa (50.01-49.99)

This is honestly a highlight matchup in my eyes. Both players have put forth impressive UU results for quite some time now and have had a decent start to this tour. Most would agree with me in bolding Lycans here due to his long-standing consistency in official tournaments but make no mistake, Misa is no pushover despite her relative inexperience in official tournaments. I'd definitely award the building advantage to the Bushmasters core here since they've displayed a myriad of team structures and are lowkey a nightmare matchup to prep for. Still, Lycans does have a knack for getting the most out of any given team and therefore I'd favor him ever so slightly.

SM UU: robjr vs DurzaOffTopic (60-40)

Look, Rob hasn't exactly impressed with his performances thus far but it can't be denied that he's had arguably the toughest opening schedule out of anyone in this pool with some unlucky moments to boot. It's still impossible to count out a player of his championship-level pedigree and I do believe that this is a good opportunity for him to bounce back and get some momentum going for the remainder of the tournament. Although Durza has found some success with his recent UU open run and win over Lycans, he'll have to be on point with both his team choice and play in order to have a good shot of beating Rob. So far the experience has been great for him and I would not be surprised at all if this game were to end up closer than anticipated, so be sure to catch this one.

SM UU: HT vs Corazan (55-45)

Both players have had a great start thus far, with HT owning a 2-1 UU record and Corazan leading the field with a 3-0. The UU game of their grand slam series was quite a unique one and featured some unorthodox mons and cores. I do expect this game to come closer to falling in line with the more tried-and-true trends though. From the building side of things, I am inclined to favor the Lindworms since the combination of HT and Indigo Plateau's opinions have flashed some good potential. Charmflash and Corazan's takes are by no means lacking in this regard but I don't believe it's possible for that sort of style to flourish extensively throughout the course of an entire tournament. It'll be a close one for sure but I'll have to follow my heart here.

SM UU: SoulWind vs Adaam (45-55)

Here we have another game that's worthy of a highlight mention. While SoulWind's obviously a competitor at the top of many fields, I believe that he's outmatched here in UU where Adaam's dominated nearly every other big name as of late. I'm incredibly interested to see what building trends these two players (or their supporting casts) will decide to hone in on this time around. I know we haven't had a huge sample size of official tour UU games from either of them, but Adaam's performances are definitely more impactful and memorable and therefore I expect him to edge a win out. Regardless, this is definitely a match that you do not want to miss.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Four weeks in has yielded 40 games, a good enough sample size to look at some metagame trends. First and foremost,

Code:
| 11   | Gligar             |    6 |  15.00% |  33.33% |
LOOOOL this Pokemon is total garbage. I've seen both Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl blow through this shitmon so please send this garbage back to RU where it can be used properly.

Code:
| 3    | Altaria            |   13 |  32.50% |  30.77% |
Imo Altaria has definitely cooled off since its SPL dominance. Amoonguss and Scizor are on every team, and while that may be a testament to Altaria's power, it also royally screws it over. Refresh sets struggle a lot against new techs like Sludge Bomb Tenta and fat Steel-types in Doublade/Coba. There is also a ton of soft checks to it like the newly dropped MMQ, Mega Aerodactyl with Ice Fang, and WW Hippowdon.

Code:
| 1    | Scizor / Krookodile        |    9 |  22.50% |  77.78% |
No surprise here, two of the most splashable and best Pokemon in the tier combine to make a really nice core. It is really hard to make a solid team without one or the other, and you really cannot go wrong throwing both on.

Code:
| 15   | Togekiss / Krookodile      |    4 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
This is a really devastating core that even smashed me week 1. Togekiss has seen a nice resurgence, and with Pursuit support, it can blow through teams when the Rotom/Nihilego/Aero is trapped and weakened. Accelgor made use of the Z-Fight set this week as well to lure Mamoswine, showing how versatile this Pokemon can be. TDK also used the nasty Scarf set to lure and chip Cobalion week 3.

Code:
| 17   | Aggron             |    4 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 43   | Steelix            |    1 |   2.50% |   0.00% |
This shocked me, since I love Steelix right now as a super reliable Lati check + emergency Ground-type when I cannot fit Aggron + another Ground. I guess people prefer the extra bulk via Filter and ability to check Scizor with Fire Punch. The base Rock-typing is also nice for luring Fire-types + checking Heal Bell Togekiss.

Code:
| 32   | Jellicent          |    2 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
God has left us

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Week 6 Recap

Interesting week of games, some more exciting than others but a nice varied selection of teams. Gonna ramble a bit and hopefully give some ok commentary, wrote this over a few days and been awhile since I've done this or been playing high level myself.

yeezyknows vs robjr

Team Preview: Gonna try and analyze these without knowing sets in mind. Rob and yeezy both come into this game looking for their second win, with rob hoping to keep up his bounceback, and yeezy looking to continue to prove himself after an unlucky ending vs Lycans last week. They've both brought bulky offenses featuring Togekiss + Mega Steel types that look to be the rockers (as well as later revealing to be Specs Dragons.) Yeezy ironically is rocking a double steel build that I could see Rob using, while Rob has elected for a FWG core with Starmie as removal. Some keys for each player, yeezy is going to want to identify whether Togekiss or Hydreigon is the scarfer, if he loses his own kiss to a breaking Drei it could be dangerous very quickly. He can also look to try and force early damage on Rotom-H with Maggron or Togekiss, to potentially set up a Scizor win depending on set. Rob's Starmie has a solid matchup with yeezy's team if it is the bulky set commonly run of these sorts of squads, so he's going to want and try and control the hazards game and wear down yeezy's Aggron or Krookodile. Without any Pursuit he's going to want to limit Latias' free turns as well with smart doubles to prevent it from wearing down Steelix too quickly.

Turn 1: Similar to another game this week, Yeezy jumps straight out of the gate with a Specs Lati Surf (fantastic set honestly), catching Steelix and giving him a huge lead by pretty much preventing rocks on his side for the rest of the game. The next few turns both players pivot around, with Yeezy trying to shave off sleep turns from Tenta where he can, but rob manages to prevent this. This culminates in the next highlight turn.

Turns 8-9: Here Rob gets to retaliate with his own lure of sorts, Yeezy goes for a Knock Off on Rotom after pivoting into a Volt Switch. I don't really have any issues with this play since removing Helmet or recovery item makes it a lot easier to manuever with Scizor, and Krook isn't doing a ton in this matchup so it taking an Overheat isn't the end of the world. It'd still be able to disuade Volt Switch even at low health, but Rob busts out a Firium-Z and claims the first KO of the game. Now Rotom is going to have a much easier time grabbing momentum with Volt. We later find out this also stops Rocks from his side of play but I'm not certain you could guarantee that knowledge at Turn 8.

Turns 10-13: Attempting to regain his position with Latias still looking scary vs Rob, yeezy fires off a Psyshock which would cleanly 2hko Togekiss. Yeezy makes a smart double after to avoid giving a free turn to Hydreigon, while Rob stays in to roost. This is the first hint his is Scarfed as this is a pretty unnecessary risk otherwise. Yeezy gets an Air Slash on Rotom to try and continue weakening it, but on T13 Rob shows Pain Split and this is now much more of an uphill battle for yeezy. More switching follows with yeezy managing to burn Two sleep turns on Tenta in exchange for taking a Volt.

Turn 17: Rob finally pulls the trigger on Hydreigon and catches yeezy's kiss with a Specs Flash Cannon, now making Dark Pulse a very free move to click. Yeezy stays in and reveals Scarf Air Slash on Rotom-H, and he's now safely made some headway for Scizor. Both don't want to risk Togekiss or Rotom respectively, and we see Rob's Starmie for the first time.

Turn 21: Protect is going to be huge here for Rob, allowing him to safely switch around yeezy's Latias while forcing yeezy to make doubles if he wants to keep the upper hand. Yeezy manages to get Tentacruel's last sleep turn down but it is very low on health.

Turns 26-29: Curse is finally revealed on Aggron, but Rob's choice of offensive Rotom is once again going to save him here. Aggron can actually survive two Overheats and rest stall with the bulky spread, but an offensive spread is going to make this impossible.

20 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 186-220 (54 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 229-270 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rob's going to reveal his own Scarf Kiss at this time but not get the flinch and take a Specs Tbolt.

Turn 42: With yeezy smartly sacking his Scizor (Fight-Z was not going to breaking Guss with the resources he had left, and Rob his Steelix, yeezy's best chances at this point are to get a Togekiss clean, and not let Rotom heal anymore since its in range of two Air Slashes. Rob harding Starmie I think could have been avoided by sacking Guss from the get go, as yeezy then only needed one flinch instead of two to break through it.

Turns 48-51: Rob goes for Dazzling Gleam which does give him slight odds in the speed tie, but unfortunately yeezy elected to sac his Cruel and not bank the game there with Hydreigon still needing two flinches. This gives him a reward for burning those sleep turns and getting a crucial Sludge Bomb + lucky Poison on Hydreigon, definitely increasing his chances for Togekiss to win. Yeezy then gets to bring in Latias, and unfortunately misses his Draco on Starmie, which would have made rob's endgame less likely if he ended up losing the kiss Speed tie.

Turns 54-58: Here we have some mindgames starting with turn 54, Rob can pick up a kill by getting Hydreigon in on sleeping Aggron, and yeezy is going to want to double to Latias to try and prevent that. He goes for it on the first go while Rob is able to punish it safely with no risk as Sleep Talk had been ruled out of potential. From there the kisses go for the tie which Rob wins, and the game is sealed.

Very fun game to spectate and analyze, props to both.

Christo vs Soulwind

Team Preview: Christo returns again with a variant of Mimikyu offense, this time featuring Celebi instead of Amoonguss as the Grass-type, and what looks to be Scarf instead of Rocks Krook in conjunction with Mega Aggron. Soulwind has the tried and true Articuno Pearl Stall. Christo's best option for breaking this team is obviously Celebi, and if he can keep Rocks up + carries Recover there's a chance it will do just that. Not a ton to go into at preview for this one.

Turn 1-20: Christo's going to opt to play aggressively and Rock T1 despite the Seismic Toss chip, this makes sense when one of his later techs is revealed, and then try and use Krookodile to disaude Soulwind's Defoggers in Gligar and Articuno from coming in while spreading Knocks on other targets for Celebi. Alo's Knock on T4 does reveal the Celebi to be Z, and it loses its leftovers to Krookodile right before that. Celebi / Krook and Alo / Bliss cycle for a bit after this, with Suicune being thrown in the mix to see how Soulwind responds to it.

Turns 39-54: With this exchange we see how Christo's Aggron can be more of a headache than expected thanks to Avalanche letting it pressure Gligar much more than usual. He doesn't manage to catch it on any of the Earthquake turns, but thanks to a Burn from Rotom Aggron wins is still able to win the exchange and keep Rocks up while forcing Soulwind back into Alo. Tur

Turn 65: I think Soulwind took a risk he didn't need to here by going straight for the Defog on sleeping Suicune, with a 1/3 chance of losing Articuno and then having to deal with a Burnt Gligar for the rest of the game. This would have made it possible for Aggron to get rocks for the remainder of the game if played with precision. At +3, even if 0 SpD Articuno safely takes a Scald so it could keep roosting in hopes for a Rest or Calm Mind pull, and with AloBlissQuag all healthy Suicune wasn't in danger of sweeping yet.

+3 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Articuno: 162-192 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Turn 84: After some dancing with Suicune and the reveal of Haze on Quagsire, Christo tries to go for a 3rd Nasty Plot in hopes of catching Blissey recovering, but Soulwind makes a good Seismic Toss knowing Blissey lives +4 Shattered Psyche. Christo then is forced to recover and try and again later with Celebi while Soulwind sacks Articuno in the case of a Giga Drain, which would then let him trap with Aerodactyl.

Turn 97: Christo gets his own Rocks basically in a way to force a Defog and get them off his own side allowing him to use Rotom and Celebi more easily.

For the rest of the game, there isn't really too much to say. Christo keeps going for chances with Celebi, but isn't ever able to get a Toxic dodge or mispredict from Soulwind who piloted his team very well. This game goes to show how even when facing dangerous breakers Stall is no walk in the park to play against without breaks, although I do think the odds were in Christo's favor to get one or two of those chances with how long the game went on.

Adaam vs Corckscrew

Team Preview: Definitely the most off-meta of our games this week so far. Adaam comes in with a Blissey balance looking to support Latias and potentially Bisharp as the win condition, along with a hazards core of Mega Steelix and Tentacruel. Corckscrew has a bulky offense with multiple setup threats in Suicune and Venomoth, and a pretty standard core of building blocks in what looks to be Scarf Krook, rocks Bronzong, and standard Rotom-H to support this unique pair of sweepers. I could see Adaam's Bisharp making a lot of progress on Corck's team since the Steel is weak to Knock Off, and the revenge killer giving Bish attack boosts via Defiant. Corck's Venomoth is actually quite threatening in this matchup depending on if it has Roost for setting up on Blissey, and luckily Adaam elected not to bring Scizor, leaving Sucker Punch as his only priority.

Turns 7-29: Not too much happens in the beginning as both players attempt to feel each other out, Bisharp gets a Knock Off on un-mega'd Altaria but Adaam safely doesn't risk any speed issues without scouting the Altaria set and switches out, and Corck manages to remove Blissey's Leftovers. Here we find out that it is in fact Vincune on Corck's team, but Adaam is very prepared for this outcome. With Haze Tentacruel and Wish Blissey, he will almost certainly be able to hold back Suicune, especially with no rocks on his side. He also manages to get a Toxic Spike up while dancing around Vincune.

Turns 30-37: Venomoth comes out for the first time to clear the T Spike, and we see that it is in fact Roost, making Blissey setup bait. Corck doesn't manage to hit Sleep Powder on the Togekiss that came in, but it would have required a 3 turn sleep in order to potentially dodge the Thunder Wave. Unfortunate not to get any chip on the Togekiss though.

+3 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 126-150 (33.6 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Definitely not out of the woods yet though, Adaam has to lose a ton of health on his Tentacruel in order to Haze and try and keep the Moth under control, leaving it unable to do anything for the rest of the game once Corck gets Rocks up. This also makes Suicune instantly super dangerous without Haze.

Turns 45-48: After trading Rocks and getting Adaam's Toxic Spike off, Corckscrew sacs Altaria to get a Fire Blast off on Steelix. This likely means he wasn't Heal Bell as I think he would have saved Altaria to get rid of Venomoth's paralysis. Corck then takes the free turn to get Suicune in and fire off a Scald to start working on chipping Adaam's team down. He can't go Blissey safely in fear of letting Cune set up. On T48 I think Adaam was fine letting a weakened Steelix die since he knew the difficulty Wishing it would be, or he could have just been trying to gain some momentum by getting Blissey in on an Overheat and not letting it take more damage from rocks + Volt.

Turn 51: Adaam goes for the kill on Rotom with Sucker Punch, but once again this week Pain Split shows up in a big way, both weakening Bisharp right here and allowing Rotom to sit on Blissey more often in the future. Corck's position is looking very strong at this point.

Turns 60-64: Corck brings out Venomoth to try and get some health back on it and Sleep Blissey, but I think must have misclicked into a double Para chain, which lets Blissey get the KO.

Turns 71-75: Latias reveals CM Psyshock, at least giving Adaam a chance at victory if he can force damage on Zong and keep it near full to take on Krook. Still a tall order. With Bisharp burned from the Suicune Scald, it isn't able to stay out on the field very long, managing to weaken Rotom-H but not remove anything crucial like Krook's Scarf or Suicune / Zong's Lefties.

Turns 83-105: Once Suicune got in on Blissey, Corck made a nice double to cover the Latias switch. Adaam stays in hoping to bank on a no Crunch Krook but unfortunately he is packing it. From there, Krook just has to Crunch while he waits for a chance to get Suicune in and Sub up. I think the Defense drops definitely made it easier but from here it was really hard for Adaam to pull a Trick off if Corck plays safe (assuming he had Trick.)

Bit of a messy game here, but Corck's threats were difficult for Adaam's team framework to handle and despite losing Venomoth he was able to force enough damage on the Cruel early for Suicune to win eventually. Little things like Crunch Krook and Pain Split Rotom made it a lot harder for Adaam to get any breaks too.

Lycans vs Corazan

Team Preview: For this game, Lycans has a similar team structure to what Rob brought with Starmie and Guss supporting a different Rocker and Scarfer and Moltres as the Fire-type instead of Rotom. Corazan has brought something more... interesting for sure with Milotic as a bulky Water in a bulky offense with some decent firepower thanks to Nidoqueen and Terrakion. Moltres could be big in this matchup for Lycans depending on Milotic's investment, as well as Altaria depending on set. Once the Aggron is weakened, not much on Cora's team stops it after a DD if it's Earthquake. Togekiss generally eats teams with no flying resists, and this one is no different, so supporting it will be Cora's objective. Terrakion can try to get rid of faster things like a potential Scarf Krook (or Cobalion if Togekiss wasn't scarf) with good prediction.

Turns 1-10: The game's going to start pretty unlucky for Corazan, with both his Draco on Krookodile and Stone Edge on Amoonguss missing their marks and letting Lycans get off a Spore for free. Milotic is going to take good damage from Earthquake, suggesting that is at the least a mixed spread and not full physical Defense. As Corazan tries to double in Latias to get some more chances at Dracos off, Lycans is going to bring in Altaria to prevent this. Here Cora predicts Lycans to try and catch either Aggron or Nidoqueen and stays in to get some chip on Altaria. Not sure if I agree with the risk there as losing Latias would make Cobalion much scarier, but he does immediately reveal to be Scarf Kiss on the Starmie, it once again rearing its dangerous head.

Turn 15-19: Lycans makes a nice read on Cora wanting to save his Togekiss' Scarf in this matchup, and is able to get rid of Cora's sleeping Terrak and free up room for another Spore later. However, this leaves the flincher itself back in for another chance to cause mayhem, and that it does, getting Lycans' Moltres down to 20% and getting another Air Slash off on Krookodile.

Turn 22-23: After letting Milotic eat another hit and then doubling, Cora once again brings in and reveals Specs Lati (to the spectators, with Lycan's own knowledge of his Altaria spread he should have scouted it as Specs already.) This also is going to bring Cobalion in range of one Air Slash instead of two, as Lycans desperately needs Rocks if he wants any chance of beating Togekiss.

252 SpA Choice Specs Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Amoonguss: 309-364 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Turns 28-32: After Milotic and Moltres are both sacced, Cora chooses to let his Scarf be removed in favor of knocking Krook out. This does give Latias a bigger chance at winning, but I also think with Aggron still healthy, letting it take the Knock Off and keeping Togekiss scarfed is a valid choice to secure a clean as well. Cobalion is able to take out Nidoqueen with a Corckscrew crash. Amoonguss is sacced to Latias after Queen is gone so that either Starmie or Altaria can get a chance to recover depending on if Cora Dracos or Psyshocks.

Turns 33-37: Cora plays a nice sequence here by forcing Starmie out and getting Cobalion very low. Protect is going to make it hard for Latias to get koes so its going to be up to Togekiss to try and break through either Starmie or Altaria so Lati can win.

Turn 55: After Togekiss and Starmie sit on each other for awhile and Lycans sneaks in Cobalion on a Trick, we get to the next big turn of the game with Latias in on Cobalion and having to predict between Star or Altaria. He correctly wins what I personally think was a 50/50 at this point, as losing either Star or Altaria would give Corazan a pretty clear path to victory.

From here on out, the game is pretty much over for Lycans, he elected to rock with Cobalion, I think it might have been slightly slightly more probably to just try and kill Aggron and then bank on a Draco miss somewhere down the line, but this would have been really hard to pull off anyway with Cora's Latias revealing roost. Togekiss was just too threatening across the game when nothing could really safely switch into it and Cora got the flinches when they mattered.

ht vs Accelgor

Team Preview: For the final game of the week (thank god I am running out of steam lol), we've got hairy toenail and the speedy bug facing off. I'm kind of tired and both these team frameworks are somewhat self explanatory (at least on preview, I'll get to them in the match), Both have Scizor / Coba dual steel cores and a Regenerator pivot, while Accel has gone more offensive with Aero and Mimikyu, probably relying on Spore and Disguise vs. HT with Rotom-H and Altaria giving him a little more natural bulk.

Turns 1-4: I can't really fault Accelgor for staying in here, as nothing else on his team wants to take a Scald. HT happens to be what is likely Z-Future Sight Slowbro and this is going to be very tough for Accelgor to get back into without his main pivot into Altaria and Spore. I don't think as a spectator I can get a full view of what happens in the Scizor Mimikyu exchange, but based on what I see its possible Accelgor thinks HT's Scizor is heavily invested in bulk and tries to midground between Scizor and Cobalion with Shadow Claw thinking he lives Bullet Punch. I'm using the bulkiest spread I see commonly on offensive Scizor which is meant to always live two Krookodile hits, and the Shadow Claw damage we see could have been a low roll there, being 65%. If Accelgor was Adamant its probably more fair to try this, but I think Sneak was overall the safer play as even if he can go Coba you can save Mimikyu for later. It's also possible he calced with different spreads and made his plays based off those.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Scizor: 220-261 (63.9 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
204+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 252-296 (100.3 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Turn 8: Accel's Cobalion ends up being Calm Mind, and he does manage to get rid of Krookodile thanks to Cobalion's good bulk, but it wasn't ever going to be making a full sweep especially without Electrium for Slowbro. Now at at 5v4 with Coba super weak things are looking really rough for Accel and HT mostly just has to play safe to win.

Turns 15-18: Future Sight Slowbro is able to rack up a lot of damage on Swampert quickly, but Accel is definitely playing as well as he can to try and make something happen with Aero and maybe a lucky Stone Edge now that Scizor is Knocked and Slowbro has been chipped. His classy 3 attacks Pert (not as cool as Big Al) doesn't give Altaria any room at all to stay healthy, but Coba now dies to hazards.

Turns 20-24: Once Coba is sacced to get Aero in, it takes out Slowbro and actually manages to live the Iron Plate-less Scizor's Bullet Punch with some clutch bulk investment on Aerodactyl. Now things could have been dicier for HT, but Accel still needed an EQ crit. Ice Fang would have given him ~17% odds there but it was unlikely with Knock Scizor and Special Coba both being able to surprise Gligar. Cobalion then finishes the game for HT's win.

Accel wasn't able to recover from HT's early lead, but still managed to put himself into a position with odds to win which is impressive nonetheless. Enjoyed this game as well as the teams used in it.

Predictions are a meme but definitely looking forward to Accel / Misa and Lycans / Rob next week. Thanks for reading this post if you somehow made it through all of that, and bigger thanks to all the Snake players for a great tournament so far!

While I didnt end up with the greatest UU record I still had a lot of fun building/playing this tier and would like to share a few things that worked for us & I think are cool (click images for imports).

Cora brought this team in week two. It was his idea to bring Spikes + Jellicent, but we had to change the defensive core and overall structure to support that idea as best as possible. Double AV Bisharp+Mienshao is a really interesting core, able to handle Latias & Hydreigon together, not necessarily requiring a fairy on the team. Their double priority + Mega-Aerodactyl as well as sand & Rocky Helmet allowed us to forgo a Choice Scarf user. Defiant + good Spinblocker make this team's strategy really frustrating to deal with.

This is probably my personal favorite SM UU team. It utilizes absurd breakers like Rockium-Z Terrakion and Choice Specs Latias while being very solid defensively. Milotic servers as a great glue Pokemon, able to switch into a variety of attacks as well as status. Nidoqueen is another powerful Pokemon and good offensive Stealth Rock setter with some unique defensive utility, particularly useful vs. opposing Terrakion.
We brought this team twice and it went 1-1, the spread credit for Milotic, Nidoqueen & Togekiss all goes to TDK , although Haze was my addition.

The classic 'Up Blissey' has been a set heavily criticized by many of you and I'd like to elaborate a bit on it's merits. Generally Blissey absolutely loves Natural Cure, it is the special wall of the tier, obviously being able to cure status such as Toxic by switching out is fantastic. However, on the particular moveset in question Serene Grace presents benefits big enough to be considered over it in a good amount of situations.

Q: Why BoltBeam Blissey?

The reasoning for that is very straight-forward. It is absurdly good at setting up Stealth Rock against the majority of the tier's popular removal (all of them are showcased here, not just the ones Blissey is good against):

Additionally, it is still able to cover insanely powerful special breakers such as Choice Specs Primarina and Moltres for your team, even with this EV spread / moveset. Due to those two reasons BoltBeam Stealth Rock Blissey can be an invaluable addition to many team structures.

Q: Why Serene Grace over Natural Cure?

The necessary moveset sets it up really well. 20% freeze Ice Beam is no joke when facing things like Reuniclus, Togekiss etc. and 60% paralysis from Thunder on-hit is very clutch to support your team generally, but also yourself against Pokemon such as Moltres, Empoleon or Tentacruel.
Instead of thinking that it's a cureless Blissey, you should see it as a Cresselia with Recovery (and Hazards) - esque Pokemon: a tank that gives you a lot of benefits, but yes, is weak to Toxic.
Natural Cure is still a viable option if you need the status absorption, but it isn't as oppressive as Serene Grace so pairing this Blissey with Pokemon that deal with various forms of status can be key. A few examples would be Starmie, Celebi, Gligar, Reuniclus, Rest Aggron / Slowbro...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)