Playoffs Smogon Tour 30 Playoffs - Finals [won by Empo]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

After 2 months of several hours of Pokémoning, we get to the part everyone has been waiting for. First of all, I'd like to thank our hosts and sheet individuals that made this tournament run as smoothly as it did. I'd also like to thank Brumirage for taking up the art for these playoffs and flawlessly killing it.

My congratulations to everyone who actually made it! Boomers and zoomers alike, you have done quite an amazing run and you should definitely be proud of it. If winning the prestigious pink trophy isn't motivation enough for you to win the playoffs, we are also offering (courtesy of Zarel) the winner a pick of either a custom avatar or the ability to claim an inactive PS! username.

Last but not least, if you are unfamiliar with Smogon Tour's format, from this round forward each pairing will face off in a best of three series in the SS, SM and ORAS tiers. The higher seed picks the first tier that will be played, with the loser of the first game picking the following tier. Win 2 out of 3 and you are one step closer to being crowned the winner!

Now, onto business:

2. SoulWind vs. 5. Empo
ORAS / SM / SS

Semifinals

2. SoulWind vs. 3. Giannis Antetokommo-o
ORAS / SS

5. Empo vs. 8. John W
SS / ORAS

Round 2

2. SoulWind vs. 10. Typhlosion48
ORAS / SS

(3. Giannis Antetokommo-o vs. 17. ima) vs. 11. BKC
SS / ORAS

4. beatiful vs. 5. Empo
SS / ORAS

8. John W vs. 16. Kenix
SS / SM

Round 1

1. BK vs. 16. Kenix
ORAS/SM/SS

2. SoulWind vs. 15. Finchinator
ORAS/SS/SM

[art pending]
3. Giannis Antetokommo-o vs. 17. ima
SS / SM

4. beatiful vs. 13. Luigi
SS/SM/ORAS

5. Empo vs. 12. xray
SS/SM/ORAS

6. Ojama vs. 11. BKC
SM/ORAS/SS

7. Pohjis vs. 10. Typhlosion48
SS/ORAS/SM

8. John W[/USER] vs. 9. Star
SM/ORAS/SS

Finals Deadline: 20/12/2020 at 23:59 GMT -3
The schedule sheet can be found here

r1 predicts, gonna try to predict tiers they are favored in, but i'm more focused on overall skill and the winner of the series.
1. BK (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 16. Kenix: not the most familiar with kenix, but from what i've seen, he is pretty good and definitely deserved to make it to playoffs. still, it's hard to favor him in such a stacked playoffs, especially against BK. BK is coming in as the number one seed after a really strong snake. his SS looked fantastic in snake (despite the tier being significantly different now), and his ORAS has looked great this stour season. i'm not really sure about SM, as kenix did get the second most points in the tier for what that's worth, but i still think BK is favored overall nonetheless.

2. SoulWind (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 15. Finchinator: i do favor sw in all three tiers, but in SS and SM the margins are narrow. it's just the reality that sw is one of the absolute best players on the site period, and he's clearly competent in all of these tiers. finch is great in SM and SS, but his ORAS is kinda weak. i think he can take one of the other two, but that one makes this matchup way less close than it would be if these two were matched up in just SM, SS, or BW.

3. Giannis Antetokommo-o (SS, ORAS) vs. 14. Juuls (SM): not much to say on juuls except he has looked fairly solid in SM. giannis has been a breakout player lately. he has looked really damn good, and now he's at a point where he's built up a few other impressive performances to back this one up. i think he's a really consistent player and simply a good margin better than juuls overall.

4. Beautiful (SS, SM) vs. 13. Luigi (ORAS): bea has looked great in SS and SM lately, but i have no clue about ORAS LOL. luigi is a pretty solid player overall, but something about ORAS meshes well with him, as he has looked great in the tier for awhile now. still, i think bea is not only better at SS and SM, but just a better player in general.

5. Empo (SM) vs. 12. xray (SS, ORAS): empo is probably the best SM player there is, and xray is one of the best ORAS players period. thing is, empo is definitely more competent in ORAS than xray is in SM. still, these two tiers make the matchup really weird, and i do think it will come down to the SS game. both have looked good in SS, but the tier totally different than SPL or snake. i feel like xray is a better builder and metagamer, more capable of tackling a tier that is nowhere close to settling in, whereas empo may benefit more from the dlc changes once they become more established. with that in mind, i am slightly favoring xray in SS, but this one is really narrow. these guys are both really exciting players, so this matchup will be cool either way.

6. Ojama (SS, SM) vs. 11. BKC (ORAS): kinda like the above matchup, ojama is clearly favored in SM, a tier where BKC had one of his weakest performances not that long ago. BKC is significantly favored in ORAS though: he has been one of the guys pushing the tier forward since it became an old gen, and he has built up the results to back that. SS is kinda tricky. again, i cannot stress enough how this is basically a new tier for this tournament. in this matchup, we have two GOAT players tackling a fresh tier. they both also looked good the week we had DLC2 in stour, making it really tough to say. i'm gonna slightly favor ojama in that one: his craftier building might lend well to a new metagame. really close one nonetheless and the highlight for sure.

7. Pohjis (SS, ORAS) vs. 10. Typhlosion48 (SM): typh is a great player, and kinda like giannis, he's been putting up some solid performance for awhile now, so he is not as inexperienced as one might initially think. still, pohjis is arguably one of the best lower tier players period, and honestly one of the best ORAS players period. that general skill has proven to translate in the past, as pohjis made it all the way to finals last season. this one is less about x player being better at x tier than y player and more about pohjis just being slightly better overall, with a more significant lead in ORAS. i give SM to typh because he has just looked good in that tier historically, whereas i'm honestly just not sure about pohjis lmao.

8. John W vs. 9. Star (SS, SM, ORAS)
good luck to everyone. it's exciting to see such a stacked playoffs.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1. BK vs. 16. Kenix - idk anything about either of these guys so i'm going with the higher seed here because you gotta be pretty good to get #1 overall

2. SoulWind vs. 15. Finchinator - SoulWind very well could be at the top of the game rn, but Finch is a tryhard and he's made so many stours playoffs he's gotta eventually win one on variance

3. Giannis Antetokommo-o vs. 14. Juuls - i've heard this guy is pretty good and also his name is funny

4. beatiful vs. 13. Luigi - iirc beatiful has been hot recently but idk i'm just feeling luigi here

5. Empo vs. 12. xray - empo crushed the regular season last time and didn't make it deep into the playoffs iirc, so this is gonna be his revenge tour

6. Ojama vs. 11. BKC - imo the most interesting r1 matchup between two guys who iirc dont really fuck with current gens. BKC probably has the edge in oras and i know he at least keeps up a bit with the newer stuff and idrk that much about Ojama outside of his oldgens

7. Pohjis vs. 10. Typhlosion48 - i know Pohjis is a good player and i think typh is solid but im gonna go with experience here

8. John W vs. 9. Star - iirc John W has been playing really well recently so ima go with him

1. BK vs. 16. Kenix
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Finchinator - FINCHTOUR30
3. Giannis Antetokommo-o vs. 14. Juuls
4. beatiful vs. 13. Luigi
5. Empo vs. 12. xray6. - I am impressed by the style of play and the Empo teams, I look forward to a good race from him.
6. Ojama vs. 11. BKC - I think for Ojama 6-8 the genes are closer, although this is just my opinion, they are both strong.
7. Pohjis vs. 10. Typhlosion48 - Last time the Pohjis race was impressive, I personally expect the same.
8. John W vs. 9. Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)