Playoffs Smogon Tour 30 Playoffs - Finals [won by Empo]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. BK vs. 16. Kenix - The #1 seed for a reason and one of the hottest players in mons right now
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Finchinator - One of the two huge highlight matches. I love Finch, but I have a man crush on SW and would bet on him against probably anyone in the world
3. Giannis Antetokommo-o vs. 14. Juuls - Only vaguely familiar with these players. Picking the superior seed. Ignore this prediction.
4. beatiful vs. 13. Luigi - IMO Luigi is underrated by the community as a whole. He’s quite consistent at making deep runs. Beatiful is hot right now, and maybe he’ll be the next big thing, but in my mind Luigi is more proven.
5. Empo vs. 12. xray - Great pairing! IMO the winner of the SM wins the set. I’d feel comfy taking Empo for SS and Xray for ORAS, though both players are obviously good at all three. I think Empo is more “in shape” right now.
6. Ojama vs. 11. BKC - The other huge highlight match between two of the best ever. I’ve always viewed Kev as stronger in older gens than newer gens, though he can of course play anything. Because these aren’t Kev’s best tiers, and because Ojama is very comfortable in these tiers, gonna give it to Kingpin.
7. Pohjis vs. 10. Typhlosion48 - Maybe I underrate T48, but I view Pohjis as the superior player in all three tiers. Gonna pick the guy I’m more confident in.
8. John W vs. 9. Star - Star steps up in tours and gets wins. He already has major tour success in these formats on his resume. John is great, and he seems to only get better and better, but for now Star is still better.

LpZ

capy
is a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
unbiased
1. BK vs. 16. Kenix - VAMO KENIX CARALHO
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Finchinator - It is really hard to bold against SW but it can really go either way
3. Giannis Antetokommo-o vs. 14. Juuls - I didn`t see Juuls play too much but I love Giannis SS builds and his run was very impressive so I`m bolding him
4. beatiful vs. 13. Luigi - bea is on rampage mode this year but Luigi is a Smogon Tour pioneer and has more experience overall, another one that can go either way but from what I`ve seen THIS YEAR I`m bolding bea
5. Empo vs. 12. xray - Both are great players and it is hard to tell who has more chance to win, I`m bolding xray because I like his playstyle
6. Ojama vs. 11. BKC - HL match featuring 2 OG players, but as callous said Kevin is better at old gens than newer gens where Ojama is more comfortable at. Kevin can certainly steal this one tho.
7. Pohjis vs. 10. Typhlosion48 - Pohjis - lpv the fourth :D
8. John W vs. 9. Star - I don't have too much to say, just picking what I feel confident picking

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
1. BK (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 16. Kenix - Not going to pretend I know that much about Kenix but BK's recent showings make this a fairly easy call nonetheless. He looked very strong in Snake, showing up each week with solid picks that he played nicely. I don't know to what extent he can be credited for the teams he brought but I'm going to assume he will still benefit from his friends' support going forward so SS should not be much of an issue. He has struggled in ORAS in the past but he won a bunch there this season so his confidence in this metagame should be through the roof. Historically he always seemed pretty good at SM to top it off, would be pretty surprised if he didn't take this.

2. SoulWind (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 15. Finchinator - Strong match up between two players who have played each other a fair bit over the years. On paper it makes sense to predict SoulWind in all 3 tiers going off his playing strenght alone but Finch definitely has a card to play here. The SS game will be key for him because I think he has spent a lot more time dissecting the meta than SW has so he might have a slight building edge. SW is easily favored in ORAS, SM will be tight but SW should be much harder to outprep there and I doubt he could be outplayed in a neutral match-up.

3. Giannis Antetokommo-o (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 14. Juuls - Giannis looked strong in SS over the course of OLT and he had a great ST season. Don't know that much about either aside from their recent OLT endeavors so can't say much else, it's always interesting seeing new faces in ST playoffs though!

4. Beautiful (SS, SM) vs. 13. Luigi (ORAS) - Bea has looked stronger than ever recently. He always was pretty solid at current gen but never to the extent we saw this year. He brings interesting teams and plays agressively if he needs to, definitely one of the more impressive SS players right now. I don't know much about his ORAS skills but Luigi should be favored there either way. Luigi always looks very confident there and unlike bea this is far from his first time here. I feel like Luigi doesnt have the best rep among the players in this pool but he usually brings good squads and doesnt seem mistake prone so this won't be easy for Bea, who I mainly favor on the basis of his building abilities.

5. Empo (SS, SM) vs. 12. xray (ORAS) - One of the toughest match up to call, both had a great year. Only bolding xray in ORAS is sad and doesn't do justice to his SS talent but he is up against one of the very best there is right now. If I'm being honest this is only hard to predict because I feel they are both a lot stronger than the other at SM and ORAS respectively whereas in SS they're close to even. I slightly favor Empo's playing in this scenario, his agressive plays always seem effortless and I feel like this could come clutch considering how offense-heavy I expect this metagame to be. With that being said, Empo's downfall in ST playoffs always seem to come from average to poor team choices and this could definitely happen again. xray on the other hand tends to build interesting stuff, even back when SS seemed basically stuck, so this could definitely benefit him in this brand new metagame.

6. Ojama (SS, SM) vs. 11. BKC (ORAS) - Incredible match-up, and one that hasn't occured in a while. I don't see Ojama losing in SM, he has a grasp on the metagame that very few players can claim to have and has a ton of experience playing it at the highest level. SM is definitely BKC's weakest tier of the three so I would be very surprised if he came out on top there. On the other hand, he always looks very strong in ORAS which is where Ojama is the weakest, mainly when it comes to building in it. This is yet another match-up that I expect to be decided by the players respective ability to perform in SS. BKC seems to like this iteration of SS far more than he did the past metagame so I'm expecting him to come up with a strong team here. However, it might not be enough vs Ojama who always has fresh and interesting takes on new tiers, especially ones that are as agressive as SS has been recently. I mainly focused on their respective building skills in all 3 tiers, mainly because I feel they're close to even on that field, it obviously does not get much better than this.

7. Pohjis (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 10. Typhlosion48 - Always happy to see Typh on the big stage but he is yet again tested by a strong opposition. Pohjis isn't a player we've seen much of outside of ST this year but he always looks great there. I don't think he builds much but he always brings solid stuff that he pilots with confidence. Typh is strong at both SM and SS but his ability to come out on top here will most definitely come down to his ability to hold his nerves, which did not happen last time. If he does manage that though, I expect his agressive plays to make these games a lot tougher than Pohjis might expect. Experience tends to come clutch in this setting and this is obviously where Pohjis has a big edge, looking forward to this match up though.

8. John W (SS, SM) vs. 9. Star (ORAS) - Mainly bolding John W to honor his stronger recents results but this is quite close. The most uncertain match up is actually SM, where Star has either struggled or done well at different stages of the generation. If John is able to replicate what he has been doing in SS in terms of solding playing and adequate team picks he can probably take both SS and SM but Star can definitely hold his own, especially in terms of game planning and calculated agression.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
1. BK (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 16. Kenix - Bro Kappa seems to be at his peak rn, coming off a 7-2 snake and securing the first seed here is impressive and while hes had a few slip ups hes generally very consistent in all 3 tiers, as long as he doesnt bring the patented italian fat shit and gets cteamed I think he should be favored in all 3 tiers. Kenix is good at SM but I still rate BK higher and the gap between them in the other 2 tiers is much more difficult to overcome.

2. SoulWind (SS, SM) vs. 15. Finchinator (ORAS) - Interesting matchup, I remember a few months back they split their wcop and classic series so Finch is definitely gonna want to take this tho he has a history of falling short when he wants to win the most. Both are really good yet not stand out players in all 3 tiers so its hard to call how this series will go but I imagine SW will go with ss for g1 and then take one of oras or sm, leaning more towards sm even though oras is Finch's worst tier on paper since thats the easiest tier to get an edge on off the builder vs Finch.

3. Giannis Antetokommo-o (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 14. Juuls - Giannis has been doing consistently well in pretty much every ss ou individual this year, he has a solid grasp on the meta and I think won one of the post dlc ss tours showing he can adapt quickly. He's up against the best in the game (best in the game) who also made olt poffs but fell short in the swiss stage as well, I dont have a strong read on him but he leans towards the bulkier teams in sm and oras so theres always room for exploitation there, I think Giannis will take ss confidently and be prepared to beat Juuls' comfort zone in oras/sm

4. beatiful (SS, SM) vs. 13. Luigi (ORAS) - This is a fairly straight forward matchup with bea strongly favored in ss and sm and Luigi very likely to take bea's weakest tier which also happens to be his strongest. Luigi's dominant regular season is not to be underestimated tho, he seems to have live tours figured out after p much making poffs in the first 3 weeks but bea's building in ss is something I dont think he'll be able to overcome and while sm is close I think bea will make sure to bring something solid and take it home.

5. Empo (SS, SM) vs. 12. xray (ORAS) - 2 of the strongest players in the field in my eyes, xray has oras figured out and is great at ss while Empo dominates sm and ss. Its hard to call whos gonna win the ss game but I think Empo has a small edge despite having skipped snake after his crazy wcop run although italian teams can always miss and xray could very well take it.

6. Ojama (SM) vs. 11. BKC (SS, ORAS) - Another hot matchup that will most likely come down to ss, on paper Ojama is more likely to take BKC's best tier in oras than BKC is to take sm from Ojama, where he really never looked particularly good. However I expect BKC to be at his best to secure oras and I like what Ive seen from him in ss in the regular season more than what Ive seen from Ojama, very close matchup but gotta go with the goat

7. Pohjis (ORAS) vs. 10. Typhlosion48 (SS, SM) - Ive been on the typh hype train since his olt run last year and hes continued to do great since then, hes up against Pohjis who peaked last season with a finals appearance against ABR, I may be underestimating him but I feel like Typhlosion has improved since his last playoffs appearance and wont fall r1 easily, hes looked strong across all 3 gens piloting a handful of solid teams and I think his ss and sm will get him through this. Pohjis is definitely favored in oras and hes no slouch in sm, should be a close series

8. John W (SS) vs. 9. Star (SM, ORAS) - John has made a name for himself in ss and builds good teams, his consistency throughout the gen gives him and easy edge there, but when it comes to sm and oras I think Star's superior, I see him bringing some boring ABR teams and piloting them well enough to beat John W in g2 and 3

Hiro'

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
RoA Leader
Just doing this to see Finch's dog tbh. Gl all and don't mind my biased predictions below lol

1. BK (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 16. Kenix

Not gonna lie, from what I've seen of Kenix before I'm kinda wondering how he managed to
get a spot but I guess he might be better than I think. Nonetheless he's facing BK who's
been making quite a come back recently after an impressive snake performance and getting that 1st seed in such stacked POs. Thus I feel he's highly favoured in both SS and ORAS and
to be fair, I think he is in SM too thanks to his natural skills, his experience on the big stage and the Italian support in the build department if needed.

2. SoulWind (SM, ORAS) vs. 15. Finchinator (SS)

Well what a pairing. I think SW is way more comfortable with ORAS than Finch. I'd bet Finch
has explored the SS metagame so I'll give him the edge here. I think SM is the closest game
and Finch will probably need to use his prep card here since SW barely makes mistakes so I don't see him losing barring a poor matchup.
Yet I feel it should be closer than what we expect either way and Finch can definitely make it. Both are very deserving so I just hope winner of this gets to the top.

3. Giannis Antetokommo-o (SS, ORAS) vs. 14. Juuls (SM)

Not very familiar with them but it seems like Giannis becomes quite consistent in the individual stage between OLT and a great STour showing. I'll give him the edge in SS x ORAS because of his 3rd seed and the fact he's 2nd in terms of SS points. I think Juuls is quite comfortable with SM so I'm giving him the edge here.

4. beatiful (SS, SM) vs. 13. Luigi (ORAS)

Luigi has been consistent in ORAS for quite a while now and I have no clue how's Bea's ORAS so I'm favouring Luigi there. However there's no doubt Bea is highly favoured in SS as he crushed the season with a strong 28 points, coming first in the tier, while Luigi kinda struggled. I'm giving Bea the edge in SM too because I think he's a better player overall in the two most recent gens.

5. Empo (SS, SM) vs. 12. xray (ORAS)

No surprise, Empo comes first in SM with 23 points and he's been undoubtedly one of the best SMers around for a while now. There's no doubt he's more than decent in ORAS but I think Xray is still better in that field. Then it comes down to SS and that should be the closest game. Both are very good in the tier but I'll favour Empo basing myself on their most recent showings.
Definitely a must watch though, this is a really hype matchup.

6. Ojama (SS, SM) vs. 11. BKC (ORAS)

Well this feels like a finals matchup. Favouring Ojama in SM all day, as it's his strongest tier and BKC's weakest. I'm giving the ORAS edge to BKC for the same reason even though I think Ojama's ORAS is still better than BKC's SM. The Kingpin mainly struggles with building in ORAS so who knows what could happen if he overcomes that issue. I still think BKC's way ahead though. So it should come down to SS once again. Ojama's showing in the season is almost twice better than BKC's but it's a very new meta so it becomes tricky. I'm giving the edge to Ojama as I'm expecting to see his fresh techs, thus reaffirming his dominance in fresh metagames.
Wishing to see the Kingpin getting a new ring.

7. Pohjis (SS, SM, ORAS) vs. 10. Typhlosion48

I don't have much to say because I'm not too familiar with Typhlosion. I know he's pretty good at SM, thus I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that game. Nonetheless, I think Pohjis is just more proven, more consistent and better overall.

8. John W (SS) vs. 9. Star (SM, ORAS)

While Star's results are perfectly balanced, John has had a pretty rough season in SM. He's still a very good player and I think he's more proven in SS overall. Even if we know he's capable to take any tier, I'll favour Star in the two remaining because this man is just so fucking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)