Playoffs Smogon Tour Season 31 Playoffs - Finals [Won by Lusa]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, for who I think will win it all. I'm thinking either SoulWind, or the winner of Tricking vs Tace in the potential 2nd round will take it all
Behold, the immaculate genius of someone who has never met any of these players (I'm currently 4/8, predicting Giannis, E.S., xray, and Ktut). All 3 of my winner picks are gone through the first round. Sorry to you 3 for jinxing. On to round 2 predictions, where I'll be even more wrong!

Giannis vs Eternal Spirit - I really liked Eternal's round 1 showing against OTF, even despite hax in game 2. He had a difficult matchup against the specs Kyurem but played around it quite nicely in the SS, and has been able to use some less viable pokemon effectively, which is very strong, as most playesr do not account for those types of pokemon in their building. Conversely, Giannis, imo, barely scraped by in SM against Pohjis (granted there was a freeze), and did not play well in ORAS. Giannis is the first 1 seed to break the "Empo curse," in which the 1 seed loses to the 16th seed (should Bro Kappa have qualified for stour 31, I would have predicted him to win like Empo did in the stour after). In my opinion, Giannis is the more talented player, but I trust E.S. to win due to more consistent play across tiers.
Jytcampbell vs Xray - Okay, so despite me not knowing who Jyt is, he defeated probably the best player in this pool in SoulWind. However, Xray destroyed INoLife in SM, AND missed 2 3 heat waves against Scizor and still got the dub in SS (due to the most cojones rapid spin of all time). I think Xray's ability do dominate and play through hax is telling of his ability to go far in the tournament, so he's my new winner pick (sorry, as I'm most likely cursing you :( ).
Skypenguin vs Lusa - Both of these players defeated players who I expected to do quite well in the tournament. The difference, in my opinion, is perspective. Both of these players, funnily enough, used the same ORAS team. However, Tricking took Sky to gen 6 for some reason (since he's the best SM player out of the 16 qualifiers imo), and also seemed to have an "I am cursed" mentality. Lusa had a fantastic SS team (and apparently has beatiful building for him which can only help). To be completely frank, I think I underestimated both of these players, but I think I underestimated Lusa more.
Vileman vs Ktutverde - There's a lot of Vileman hype, and for good reason as he defeated John W, while Ktut beat a sunny day Scolipede in round 1 (both players were lucky as well). However, I have to once again bold my round 1 pick in Ktutverde. This one, however, really can go either way. I think that analyzing the round 1 games is not particularly prudent for either player, so I just have to go with my gut.

In my opinion, I think all 8 of these players are of a similar enough skillset where any of them can win. If I had to predict one person to take the trophy, I would predict xray to finally grab his first pink, but knowing what happened last round, I'm hesitant to bold anyone as not to jinx them. Anyway, those were my round 2 predicts. Good luck to all of you! Enjoy!

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Behold, the immaculate genius of someone who has never met any of these players (I'm currently 4/8, predicting Giannis, E.S., xray, and Ktut). All 3 of my winner picks are gone through the first round. Sorry to you 3 for jinxing. On to round 2 predictions, where I'll be even more wrong!

Giannis vs Eternal Spirit - I really liked Eternal's round 1 showing against OTF, even despite hax in game 2. He had a difficult matchup against the specs Kyurem but played around it quite nicely in the SS, and has been able to use some less viable pokemon effectively, which is very strong, as most playesr do not account for those types of pokemon in their building. Conversely, Giannis, imo, barely scraped by in SM against Pohjis (granted there was a freeze), and did not play well in ORAS. Giannis is the first 1 seed to break the "Empo curse," in which the 1 seed loses to the 16th seed (should Bro Kappa have qualified for stour 31, I would have predicted him to win like Empo did in the stour after). In my opinion, Giannis is the more talented player, but I trust E.S. to win due to more consistent play across tiers.
Jytcampbell vs Xray - Okay, so despite me not knowing who Jyt is, he defeated probably the best player in this pool in SoulWind. However, Xray destroyed INoLife in SM, AND missed 2 3 heat waves against Scizor and still got the dub in SS (due to the most cojones rapid spin of all time). I think Xray's ability do dominate and play through hax is telling of his ability to go far in the tournament, so he's my new winner pick (sorry, as I'm most likely cursing you :( ).
Skypenguin vs Lusa - Both of these players defeated players who I expected to do quite well in the tournament. The difference, in my opinion, is perspective. Both of these players, funnily enough, used the same ORAS team. However, Tricking took Sky to gen 6 for some reason (since he's the best SM player out of the 16 qualifiers imo), and also seemed to have an "I am cursed" mentality. Lusa had a fantastic SS team (and apparently has beatiful building for him which can only help). To be completely frank, I think I underestimated both of these players, but I think I underestimated Lusa more.
Vileman vs Ktutverde - There's a lot of Vileman hype, and for good reason as he defeated John W, while Ktut beat a sunny day Scolipede in round 1 (both players were lucky as well). However, I have to once again bold my round 1 pick in Ktutverde. This one, however, really can go either way. I think that analyzing the round 1 games is not particularly prudent for either player, so I just have to go with my gut.

In my opinion, I think all 8 of these players are of a similar enough skillset where any of them can win. If I had to predict one person to take the trophy, I would predict xray to finally grab his first pink, but knowing what happened last round, I'm hesitant to bold anyone as not to jinx them. Anyway, those were my round 2 predicts. Good luck to all of you! Enjoy!
lol we have the same predicts! :D

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Ggs Vileman wp bro. I probably misplayed g1 by only QDing twice, but I honestly had never seen Explosion Magearna before, and I suppose I should have known. And g2, I had to accept the defeat vs a wonderfully trained TapuKoko: loving your pokémons is important and you showed what the power of love can achieve! I'm almost past the point where bad luck can irritate me; if it wasn't the moment yet for me to win this tournament, then it's not, and I can only encourage you Vileman to continue and get the trophy. Peace amigo y buena suerte en los dos ultimos rounds.

I'm really happy with my run and I can't thank enough all the people who supported me. I was the first one surprised when I qualified for ST playoffs since it's only my second ST and I'm still getting used to tourney-meta SMOU and ORAS OU. No regrets, I had a lot of fun building and using teams I like a lot, and I expect to stick to the OU tournament scene, even though I'll never leave PU because it's a wonderful tier. I also have to admit that the OU community, as competitive as it is, is really welcoming, and I truly enjoyed getting to meet many players and talking to them. Expect me to stick to OU for a long time! See y'all for WCOP games! And thanks everyone!

Shoutouts - Special thanks:
yandaud TJ my two best friends on this site, thank you so much for the moral support and the long talks!
Cicada Cdumas Dflo thanks for the tips for ST playoffs, I was kinda lost and you gave me confidence.
-Team France "Neo France": thanks for being all wonderful teammates, let's fucking win WCOP bros.
-The Mambas, and in particular Aurella xray Gefährlicher Random Relous Sabella Will of Fire and Blargh: you deserve a special mention, it's because you all supported me and cheered me up that I decided to join the OU scene, which I really love now so big thanks!
I probably forgot a bunch of people, I just wanted to give these thanks in particular, but everyone else, friends, supporters, teammates, thanks!

I hope this wasn't too long! Now you can resume the predicts and the "X is so good he's gonna win it all". Peace, Ktut.

Skypenguin

Skype (nguin)
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
ggs Lusa, gl in the rest

Just wanna say thanks to Splash and Genesis7 for all the help in ORAS, would've been even more lost in that tier without it.
Shoutout SpookyZ for SS, retired master MSC for his wisdom in SM, and everyone else that helped me test or cheered me on (esp mumbai inteleons).

Rooting for jyt to keep playing perfectly and win it all!
Peace, come catch me on the sm ladder (please it's dying :smogduck:).

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
in both my predictions ive been half and half, im assuming i get another half today.
8. Eternal Spirit vs 13. Vileman
ooooooooooohhhh boiiii this is gonna be a really close one. It all comes down to two formats here, SS and ORAS. Both were really close when it came to points and ratios, with them tying in SS for %win. This is the one battle where im gonna be either right or wrong and if not, im satisfied coz both of them are crazy mofos in SmogTours. Based off the replays, however, Gama has fought stronger opponents such as Giannis but Vileman is no pushover having beat the guy who beat ABR in WCOP, that's right no other than the legendary John W. I expect an awesome battle between both of you, make Stours proud!
15. Jytcampbell vs 6. Lusa
I AM DONE DOUBTING JYT! if i had to do a power rankings of all 4 of them on whos gonna win it's gonna be 1. Jyt 2. Gama 3. Vileman and 4. Lusa with 1 and 2 very close and 2 and 3 also close but with different parameters. This man won the recent Snake Draft (Gama also won a Snake Draft but not the recent one), crushed the juggernaut SoulWind in 3 sets, beat xray in another 3 sets, man Jyt is gonna join the ranks of legends if he keeps it at this pace! SM is already handed to Jyt, based off of points and ratios alone, theres just no way you can beat Jyt in SM.... just... no... way! then theres SS and ORAS where he almost killed SoulWind in ORAS and upsetted him in SS despite having single digits in the regular season on both formats. You can not go wrong with Jyt. So I'm betting on this man to win the whole thing. LETS FUCKING GOOOOOO JYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)