Smogon Trading Card Game

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
What's the monetization plan?

You can't be a post-oblivion-horse-armor game designer and not include microtransactions!

Depending on whether this card game is in person or digital, you're gonna have to make a few different decisions about how you want to bleed money from players.

The obvious answer is different card rarities. I recommend splitting this up by user join dates. The rarest can be pre 2006 users, and when you open a pack in the digital version and get one you can have someone yell "PRE TWO THOUSAND AND SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX" like the hearthstone announcer. If the game is physical then we can set up a 1-800 number for people to call and hear the sound effect.

Now that you have card rarities established you can make all the really good cards insanely hard to get so that players have to use all their cryptocurrency wealth on those sweet sweet card packs.

The other way is advertising. This is easier to implement in the digital card game, but maybe in the physical card games every pack could have one card that was just a logo for walmart or something?

Anyways, the possibilities are endless. All you need to do once you finish the trivial bits (i.e. designing the card game, getting artwork, promoting it) is figure out all the ways you can monetize it, then shop for superyachts.

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
View attachment 410606View attachment 410607View attachment 410608
I support this project so much that I created this fanmade prototype design of my card and how the cards can look like, hope this grows, its so cool <3
(Prolly considered low effort but eh)
you and Bug Maniac Aydon are barred from government funding sources until you’ve answered Sijih questions pertaining to monetization.

we believe in you! we really do. we just…

you know, every investment has its risks. this one just happens to have… a lot of risks.

you understand, right?

What's the monetization plan?

You can't be a post-oblivion-horse-armor game designer and not include microtransactions!

Depending on whether this card game is in person or digital, you're gonna have to make a few different decisions about how you want to bleed money from players.

The obvious answer is different card rarities. I recommend splitting this up by user join dates. The rarest can be pre 2006 users, and when you open a pack in the digital version and get one you can have someone yell "PRE TWO THOUSAND AND SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX" like the hearthstone announcer. If the game is physical then we can set up a 1-800 number for people to call and hear the sound effect.

Now that you have card rarities established you can make all the really good cards insanely hard to get so that players have to use all their cryptocurrency wealth on those sweet sweet card packs.

The other way is advertising. This is easier to implement in the digital card game, but maybe in the physical card games every pack could have one card that was just a logo for walmart or something?

Anyways, the possibilities are endless. All you need to do once you finish the trivial bits (i.e. designing the card game, getting artwork, promoting it) is figure out all the ways you can monetize it, then shop for superyachts
(gonna answer as if i know)
Monetization plan: Free, we will be doing the design, the animations ourselves and other people can help as well if they would like

I think the best way is to make it digital as people will be leeched onto microtransactions which will produce way more money than physical, also, digital means we wont have to have even more work with booster packs and no factory costs to manufacture the cards.

Different card rarities are cool, and your idea may work, but we may also opt for the regular method of the common, uncommon, R, RR, RRR, UR etc

We can also make a physical version, but as i said before it would take more effort and money, but it can be a seperate source of income, and the logo can be somewhat like smogon's logo, which is a koffing, just modified quite a bit to not get sued my nintendo.

The game will also be free to play, encouraging users to just play for fun and they can play without spending money, but most will likely spend money to either support the game or whale for that card.

(that being said, im merely just suggesting as I am not the one in charge of this project and just fanboying this)

I might release a game version of this, YGO-DDS style. I'll probably have to heavily modify stats, though - a lot of the Users have extremely poor bulk compared to what Power values exist. The possibility is on the table, not sure if I'll go through with it quite yet

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
This seems like a cool project. Are we going to get art for this? A lot of notable users are missing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)