PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST, THERE ARE IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS YOU NEED TO FOLLOW
After years of tournament inactivity, Smogon VGC returns to the tournament scene with the 2021 Major! A massive, massive thanks to Zelda for the generous prize pool donation! This a two day live tournament (cohosted by zeefable and Zelda) that will take place on Saturday May 29th and Sunday May 30th. Concrete details below.
General Tournament Details
- This is a Swiss style tournament with rounds determined by total player signups.
- For players used to Smogon Tour and other Smogon live tournaments: expect this to be a much longer commitment!
- Additionally, teams will be LOCKED for the entire tournament. You will not be allowed to change teams at any point.
- Matches will be played in a best-of-three in VGC 2021 Series 9 in the ZeldaVGC room on Pokemon Showdown
- Chansey, Blissey, and Shuckle are banned from this tournament to ensure games proceed at a reasonable pace.
- There is no overall round timer, games will be decided by the Pokemon Showdown timer with TO intervention if needed.
- All players that finish the tournament on Saturday with an X-2 or better record (where X is just number of Swiss rounds -2, e.g. 6-2 in an 8 round tournament) will qualify for Sunday top cut
- Teamsheets will be closed on Saturday but will be public for top cut. This includes your six Pokemon as well as their moves, items, and abilities.
- Sign up on the battlefy page here. Battlefy is a tournament platform that will ensure the tournament runs at a smooth pace.
- There is a field on the battlefy signup that asks you to submit a team. You do not need to submit a team right this instant, and you may change your team if you have already provided one. Just make sure you have a team submitted for when the tournament starts of course.
- In addition to signing up on battlefy, players must also have a Smogon account and confirm their signup in this thread.
- It's also recommended, but not required, that you join the Smogon VGC Discord and follow my Twitter for updates on the rounds.
Standard practice for PS-based VGC tournaments is to open all games in a best of three at once when your round starts. This is to prevent your opponent from making any sneaking adjustments to their teams in between games. We ask that you follow this procedure, it's for your benefit! This does mean, however, that you must make sure your autotimer is set to off.
Times: (timezone converter)
Saturday the 29th of May 2021:
GMT/UTC: 5 PM / 17:00
North America: 10AM Pacific Time (PT), 1PM EST
Europe: 7PM Standard Europe, 6PM UK
Sunday the 30th of May 2021:
Oceania: 3AM (VIC/NSW)
Japan: 2AM (Tokyo)
- Again, huge thanks to Zelda for this generous prize pool. The payout is as follows:
- 1st place: $500 USD
- 2nd place: $250 USD
- 3rd and 4th place: $100 USD
- 5th-8th place: $50 USD