Smogon's Gaming Legends - 1K Spectacular [Game Boy Nomination]

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If anyone would like to do artwork for this that would be great and I would give you credit (as i'm not one of those annoying people who doesn't give credit where credit is due).

Smogon's Gaming Legends

Welcome to my 1K thread! The aim of this thread is to find the best games on every major console in history*. However, this isn't just a place for people to post their favorite games, as there are 6 categories that the games are nominated and voted for. For example, a game which is generally considered rather poor may get voted in as it has an exquisite soundtrack. That is the catch to this one, and it may lead to some rather unexpected games getting named as legends. Now, onto the categories.

Categories
Nominations and votes will be taken for games in each of the following categories, and the things to consider in your justification when nominating, but not all of the categories need to be included:​
  • Gameplay - How fun was it to play the game? Was the difficulty curve well designed and executed? How much replay value does the game have? How well designed are the controls?
  • Soundtrack - How good is the soundtrack? You must use one or two of the pieces of music from the OST in your justification.
  • Story - How much did the story draw you in? Was it interresting? Any unexpected plot twists? I expect the use of spoilers here (how to do them will be explained under nomination)
  • Multiplayer - If there was multiplayer, how good was it? Was it well designed for multiplayer? What
  • All-Around Quality - The best game overall for the console. This doesn't have to be something that you nominated for another category, but it brings together all of the previously mentioned factors in a masterpiece. Say why you feel this is the best game on the console. This requires lots of extremely good justification to get accepted for voting. Edit: Did it shake up the formula, or do something in a new way? If so, how? Has it affected how video games of its genre have been designed? [credit to Arikado for thinking of this]
  • Disaster Master - These games are usually rather obviously bad. Justify with why it is bad. It is difficult to say what else to say as this is probably the easiest to write about, but things to include globally for this are rather difficult to identify.
How it works
There will be a 7-day cycle of nomination, grace and voting. Every cycle will be on a specific console, and the console will cycle based on the year it launched, from the earliest to the latest. In cases where multiple consoles were launched in the same year, it will be based on the date of launch. I will go into the details about nomination, voting and discussion in a moment. At the end of the voting period, the most voted game for each category will be archived in this top post.

Nomination
  • You may nominate up to three games for each category. This means you can nominate 1, 2 or 3 games in each.
  • You do not have to nominate for every category, but please include all five category names in your nomination (example below).
  • You must justify your nominations. This only has to be a few sentences, so don't stress too much about it. If you include any spoilers, please put them in hide tags below the respective category and use an asterisk (*) - or when you have multiple spoilers use bracketed numbers, e.g. (1) - to indicate where the spoiler would go in your justification, and then indicate it with the same symbol in the hide tags.
  • You may nominate the same game in multiple categories, but you must remember that you have to justify your decision (for soundtrack this can be done through an example of the music).
  • Nominations can be changed. Simply edit the post: don't make another post saying so.
  • This will take place during the first three days of the cycle.
  • At the end of the nomination period, I will make a post to say that nominations are now closing.
  • If a game gets 5 or more qualifying nominations in a category, it will automatically be listed for that category, and that category will be withdrawn from voting.
  • Use the following format for your nominations (copy everything in the code - including the hashtag):
Code:
#Nomination

Gameplay:

Soundtrack:

Story:

Multiplayer:

All-Around Quality:

Disaster Master:
Sample Nomination Post - No Specific Console said:
#Nomination

Gameplay: Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! - I love this game. It is hard, but not to the point were you need a load of practice to progress. Its lack of tutorials mean that it is fast-paced and it also adds an element of experimentation as you aren't told the playstyles of your opponents outside of the cryptic tips from Doc Louis.

Soundtrack:

Story:

Multiplayer: Super Smash Bros.: Melee - Melee is hands-down the most breathtaking competitive game to watch and play. This is due to the immense complexity of the game and the number of ways of abusing the mechanics that is possible making it incredibly entertaining.

All-Around Quality: Skyward Sword - This game is one of the best games in the series due to its innovative control scheme, long story without being long enough to the point of boredom and it has a great art style. that just makes me want to cringe.

Disaster Master: Flashlight - This game costs £3 on the DSiware store and it literally puts white on your screen. You can do this with your DS without buying the app. Don't bother with it (don't worry I didn't actually buy this; I only saw the review).
Grace Period
There will be a 24-hour grace period between the nomination and voting stages. This is so that I can moderate the nominations and decide which ones will be accepted for voting. Use this time to discuss what has been nominated by various users, and this discussion may be used to aid my decision as to what gets accepted for nomination.

Voting
  • When the voting period starts, I will make a post with all accepted nominations.
  • Discussion may not take place during this period.
  • Yo can only vote for one game per category, and you are only allowed one voting post.
  • This post may be edited at any time during the voting period.
  • At the end of the voting period, I will post the number of votes each nomination got and the next nomination period starts immediately.
  • Use the following format when voting:
Code:
#Vote

Gameplay:
Soundtrack:
Story:
Multiplayer:
All-Around Quality:
Disaster Master:
Discussion
Discussion may take place at any point, but you may not try and manipulate people into voting for another game during the voting stage. Keep it on topic: i.e. don't do any of the following:​
  • Discuss previously voted games
  • Discuss future consoles
  • Discuss something unrelated
Rules
  • Please abide by all of the site rules in this thread. I will allow mild swearing in justifications and discussion if its use is justified by the context, but please try to keep it clean in this thread (and try to avoid the f-word, c-word and b@$t@rd all together as they will never have any reason to be justified here (loophole filler: you can't say 'fuck tonne') and the latter two are derogatory). Basically you can say "Game x is shit for reason y", but you can't say "Fucking game z was a motherfucking bitch to beat".
  • Out of all the rules, there is one which I am particularly strict on. I have a zero-tolerance policy regarding shitposts, trolls and spammers. Just because this thread isn't heavily modded, doesn't mean you can do it. If you do not abide to this rule I will see to it that the post(s) are deleted and you are heavily infracted.
  • Don't feed the trolls. If you see a troll in the thread, don't point them out either in or out of the thread as that would be giving them attention, which they want. Me or a mod will deal with it.
  • Don't submit more than one nomination or voting post.
  • Don't try to nominate games that are on a console we have either already done or have not started doing yet, and don't vote for games which didn't have accepted nominations.
  • Haters gonna hate. Just don't flame other people because of it.
  • Have fun!
Current Stage: Game Boy Nomination
Gameplay:
  • NES: Super Mario Bros 3
  • SEGA Mega System: Sonic the Hedgehog
Soundtrack:
  • NES: Castlevania II, Mega Man 2
  • SEGA Mega System: Sonic the Hedgehog
Story:
  • NES: Castlevania III
  • SEGA Mega System: Phantasy Star
Multiplayer:
  • NES: Battletoads, Double Dragon
All-Around:
  • NES: The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man 3
  • SEGA Mega System: Sonic the Hedgehog II
Disaster Master:
  • NES: Die Hard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, as this is my 1K, here is a little about my life here on Smogon, followed by some shoutouts.

As you can see, I have been a member ever since January 9th 2013. I started playing Pokemon in 2011, when a friend lent my his friend's copy of Pokémon Heart Gold Version. When I returned the game 6 months later (yes: I just said 6 months for a game that belonged to a friend of a friend), I was hooked, so I begged my parents to buy a every single 4th gen game. In this time, I had started watching TheKillerNacho on Youtube, to the point that I tried to imitate the sets he used on my in-game teams.

I got into competitive Pokemon not long after Christmas of 2012 and the release of Pokémon White 2 Version. I started off just using the sets of the aforementioned youtuber, but I soon gained a little experience and discovered Smogon. I learned about it as I had heard TKN mentioning it in a few of his battles, but I had also started to move away from him as he hadn't posted in ages and his battles started getting boring. I discovered TheFlamingSpade, and that is what really made me want to get more serious with my battling, and it is what encouraged me to start using Smogon. At first it was just for the analyses, but I soon wrote my first analysis: Wallbreaker Luxray in NU. However, I don't take full credit for that as it was originally a special set, and it was only because of ebeast that the analysis shifted towards mixed.

With XY, I started writing analyses as my main hobby on the site, although I was still not a great battler at the time. I have gotten much better since then, having learned a bit more about how to move away from the norm with my sets without them becoming gimmicky. However, at the time I was arrogant and flawed personally. I started making a few friends though, which is the main thing that has spurred me on with the site. Courtesy of RotomPoison's ridiculously random conversations, my friend base has grown massively beyond that which I had before, and my personality has developed to become less arrogant and more considerate, and I know when to stop a little better than I did at the time. In this time I discovered Aim's Youtube channel, PokeaimMD, and I have generally stopped watching other Poketubers as he is by far the most skilled. Additionally, I raged about the Aegislash ban for over two months afterwards as it was far from broken in my opinion, and only two votes would have swayed it.

As of the launch of the ORAS OU metagame in late October, I started adapting to the lack of analyses and started making my own creative, non-gimmicky sets. The highlights of them are my CM Mega Slowbro lure, Punishment+Earth Plate Landorus-T, and my PhysDef Mega Slowbro semi-lure, fully special attacking Life Orb Tyranitar. When I built a team featuring the T-Tar set, I started being a regular in the RMT forum, and it revived my from my semi-dead state on the site, as I had discovered another forum called Perfect Pokemon which had lots of ORAS hype threads and a shoutbox on the home page, and it pulled me away from Smogon. I am now trying to shift back into analyses, with my Smeargle analysis complete and my Gardevoir analysis in the writing, and I am eagerly awaiting VGC'15 rules to be announced so I can get started on those.

Shoutouts!
I am giving shoutouts to my friends in the conversations that I have been in, the friends I have made in C&C, and the people that have been really helpful throughout my time on Smogon (in no particular order).

Sorry if I forgot anyone, my memory isn't the greatest so it is to be expected :]
also there are a load of people who I haven't communicated at all with since January or earlier so yeah

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gonna make an obvious one here: The Legend of Zelda.

LoZ was pretty much the 1st "big game" on the NES, and it was the inspiration of many, many games, and the beginning of a new era for games pretty much. It revolutionized combat systems as well as the adventure element in games, with dungeons/puzzles and the such, and exploration especially. Even to this day you see stuff that are very similar to the original LoZ's concept (see: Dark Souls, Dark Souls II). I'm nominating it under the All-Around Quality category.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Arikado brings up a very good point in his nomination. If a game has revolutionised the genre or the industry outside of its own cannon/series and shaken up the formula, if you will, that is very valid reasoning for the All-Around Quality category. If a game has had far-reaching effects, like the aforementioned LoZ, then that is a big pull factor for the game. I am adding that to the OP, and I am giving all the credit to Arikado for realising that :toast:

Last edited:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
#Nomination
Gameplay: Super Mario Bros 3
Soundtrack: Castlevania II, I'm torn between this and Mega Man but since Mega Man soundtrack is split is so many different games..
Story: Castlevania III
Multiplayer: Battletoads, it's still really nice to play lmfao, this game is so much fun with the coop mode
All-Around: Castlevania III, this is really as good as a game can be on NES, it's really hard to pick one for this category, but Castlevania III is really solid in every single category, I don't see a real weakness. I guess Super Mario Bros 3 comes really close, but I liked Castlevania's universe and background story much more.
Quality: Metroid, mainly for the open world, this was really well done and required I guess a good amount of work

RODAN

Banned deucer.
#Nomination
Gameplay: Mega Man 3, its the best in the mega man series which in turn is the best series on the nes so...
Soundtrack: Mega Man 2, i dont need to explain
Story: Bad Dudes, are u a bad enough dude
Multiplayer: Double Dragon, i dont need to explain
All-Around Quality: Mega Man 3, its the best in the mega man series which in turn is the best series on the nes so...
Disaster Master: Die Hard, lmao this game is goddam awful (it has a foot metre)

Last edited:

Martin

#Nomination
Gameplay: Mega Man 3
Soundtrack: Mega Man 2
Story: Bad Dudes
Multiplayer: Double Dragon
All-Around Quality: Mega Man 3
Disaster Master: Die Hard
You need to include reasoning in your nomination. For soundtrack this can be a sample of its music.

Martin

Ok so it has been three days, and I am going to skip the grace period as there were barely any nominations. Here is the list of the games up for voting:

Gameplay: Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 3
Soundtrack: Castlevania II, Mega Man 2
Story: Castlevania III, Bad Dudes
Multiplayer: Battletoads, Double Dragon
All-Around: The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania III, Metroid, Mega Man 3

As it was the only nomination for disaster master, Die Hard has been archived.

You have until Saturday to place your votes for what out of those games you feel should be archived.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gameplay: Super Mario Bros 3
Soundtrack: Mega Man 2 (this is undeniable)
Story: Castlevania
Multiplayer: no comment
All-Around: Metroid (I really love Metroid)

Unpopular opinion below maybe.

Gameplay: Ninja Gaiden
Soundtrack: Final Fantasy IV
Story: Final Fantasy IV
Multiplayer: does this exist?
All-Around: Final Fantasy in general

Forgot the hide tags before ^

Gameplay: Super Mario Bros 3,
Soundtrack: no opinion
Story: Castlevania III
Multiplayer: no opinion
All-Around: Mega Man 3

Martin

Here are the results! Anything in bold has been archived.

Gameplay: Super Mario Bros 3 (2), Mega Man 3 (1)
Soundtrack: Castlevania II (1), Mega Man 2 (1)
Story: Castlevania III (2), Bad Dudes (0)
Multiplayer: Battletoads (0), Double Dragon (0)
All-Around: The Legend of Zelda (1), Castlevania III, Metroid (1), Mega Man 3 (1)

Both of the nominations for multiplayer were archived due to a complete lack of votes.

The next console is the SEGA Mega System. Get nominating!

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gameplay: Sonic The Hedgehog, do I need to argue ? The game is smooth, bar the fucking hang-glider part.
Soundtrack: Sonic The Hedgehog, honnestly the MSystem has shitty sound effetcs overall, and so the OSTs are usually not really impressive. But I do remember a lot of tracks from Sonic, and some are really nice, so it looks like a no-brainer.
Story: Phantasy Star. That's the only RPG I've played on this console, I mean, the other games don't have real stories so hmm
Multiplayer: Idk, all I ever played in multi was a REALLY shitty football game
All-Around: Sonic The Hedgehog II, that's the best game in my opinion, like, that's the main one with AlexKid that I play when I'm feeling like kicking it old school on my MSystem again.
I literally worshipped this shit when I was a kid. I'd always die at the second stage though, but that was better than randomizing the shifumi in Alex Kid, fucking RNG.

I haven't played a lot of MSystem games, my favorites ones were platformers like Sonic, AlexKid, Mickey etc.
Sonic is one level above of everything though, even though AlexKid is a really nice game.

Martin

I haven't played a lot of MSystem games, my favorites ones were platformers like Sonic, AlexKid, Mickey etc.
Sonic is one level above of everything though, even though AlexKid is a really nice game.
Wasn't AlexKid the original SEGA mascot? He was if I remember correctly :toast:

Also you forgot to say how dumb the laberinth zone was ;P Stupid underwater sonic levels :pirate:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
AlexKid was the original mascot yea, some attempt to counter Mario, and they tried to make him popular by adding the game to every console (this game starts if you have no cartridge in the console).
But it failed due to the pathetic charism of the character, and Sonic became the most popular game on MSystem, that's how they found their mascot.
I think they made other attempts at finding a mascot.

Btw don't try the sequel to AlexKid, it's a real brainfucker.

Martin

Sorry I'm (very) late. I forgot this thread existed XD

As there was only 1 nomination, they will be archived.

Next is the Game Boy. Get nominating!

Ok as this seems to be getting nowhere and I have played some of the games on the game boy, I'm just going to nominate some things to get the ball rolling:

#Nomination

Gameplay: Tetris - This game is addictive, and it was a master stroke for Nintendo to package this with every game boy that they sold. In this addictive, Russian-invented puzzler, the aim is simple: stack blocks to form as many complete rows as possible and score points. This seemingly simple idea is actually more difficult than it seems, with the selection of randomly-picked blocks, the need to rotate blocks, the limited space and the time limit on every block forcing you to think on your feet and, if you aren't quick enough or you don't consider the possibility of what could happen by using the one-piece preview and logical thought to plan out every step towards a new high score, you will fail. This is also backed up by one of the most memorable soundtracks in gaming history, although it has been trumped on this console in that regard. If you somehow haven't ever played this, I suggest you get a game boy emulator and play it in the way that made it popular.

Soundtrack: Pokémon Red Version/Pokémon Blue Version - Pokémon has always had some of the best soundtracks in history, and the debut titles were no exception. With its fast-paced battle music, its route marches and memorable title soundtrack, this game's soundtrack should please any gamer.

Story:

Multiplayer: Pokémon Red Version/Pokémon Blue Version - Do I even need to explain this on a competitive Pokémon website?

All-Around Quality:

Disaster Master:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)