#smogonvgc Live Tournament Week 8 - Entei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we'll be holding a practice tournament this Friday at 5 pm US central time (GMT -6). If this tournament goes over well enough, we'll do more like it and hopefully have more fun stuff for everyone. This week, we'll be giving away an Adamant Entei (soft reset by yours truly) to everyone that enters the tournament to use in future live tournaments, or one of the many premier challenges being held across the US (and the world?).

This week, TheMantyke , lucariojr, and Professor Birch will be running the bracket.

View the bracket and sign up for the tournament here
You will need to check in one hour before the tournament begins to participate.

We are experimenting and switching to Battlefy over Challonge. Please register an account there if you haven't already.
Additionally, this week we're aiming to record the finals and put them up on the official Smogon Youtube Channel! This should go without saying, but please, if you make it to the finals, save your Battle Videos and post them here!

if we don't get the battle video up on youtube soon after the tournament, please pester us about it. we probably deserve it.

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut (with best of three matches) that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.

Entei - Ozai
Nature: Adamant - Ability: Pressure
IVs: 31/29/31/x/31/31
This week, we have a ORAS native Latios courtesy of lucariojr. Entei might not have Extreme Speed and Flare Blitz anymore, but has gained a new niche as a bulky Fire-type and the incredibly useful Sacred Fire. Unlike Heatran, which often gives it competition for the role of a bulky Fire-type, it doesn't have a Fighting weakness, a x4 Ground weakness, and can stop Charizard more proactively with Stone Edge, along with threatening Kangaskhan with a Sacred Fire burn.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Entei. Stop by #smogonvgc this Friday to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

HOW TO RECEIVE ENTEI:
  • Note: Entei will not start being distributed until 3:30 PM CST. Please follow these instructions then.
  • Step 1: Catch a Cacnea
  • Step 2: Offer the Cacnea for an Entei on the GTS. If you haven't registered Entei in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: At about 4:30pm EST, our distributor will start giving out the Entei. Refresh the GTS to receive your Entei. Enjoy!
This has been going for 7 weeks now and it's really incredible. Let's keep it up!

Last edited:
Signed up as Jay (my in-game name). The sign up was a bit strange. It seems in-game name was only field that was asked for. No user name or FC but I'll roll with it lol. See you guys Friday!

I'm off on Friday and adding finishing touches right now. Joined with my ORAS IGN (Anna).
And Entei is baws, can't say no to a freebie.

Edit: Never mind, count me out. I lost over 90 points on Battle Spot in ~30 mins, the finishing blow coming from some idiot with a Hone Claws auto-crit Durant and a 1380 ranking. I'm losing to like, the bottom 5% of the barrel here so I'm not going to waste people's time trying to survive 3 turns. And by "I lost 90 points" I mean "I peaked at like 1550, THEN lost 90 points". Don't need a tourney to tell me half my team sucks and I couldn't predict clockwork if my life depended on it.

Last edited:
Im going to try and participate, mainly seeing as entei is the shit and I really want one! Only thing is, my engagement party is tonight and im setting up the place like a madman!!

Hey thanks once again for organising this guys. Im sorry I couldnt stick around in the end (had to drop round 2). Im hoping to compete more frequently, as I often have new teams I really want to test out and I find these tournaments are often great practice.

Thanks to the distributors again for the awesome entei, I really want to try and fit him onto my next team!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)