Snow on the Driveway ( A Hail Team)

Introduction

Hello smogeners! In this weathered filled metagame of Gen 5, we’ll be focusing on the little brother that was never really used and was left in the naughty corner, a Hail Team. As you will see in a minute, this hail team actually consist of no Gen 5 pokemon mainly due to the lack of attention given to the Hail Team. However, after some testing, I realize this was in fact an advantage for our little brother as my opponents are less prepare for what they will be fighting against plus the fact that some of these pokes got some new toys to play with. Now on to some business.

At a Glance

In Depth

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Liquid Ooze
Ev: 252HP/120 Def/ 136 SDef
Nature: Calm (+SDef/-Atk)
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Hex
-Scald

In any weather team, it is essential that your opponent does not have any weather changing moves or abilities against you. Therefore, to prevent losing Abomasnow or revealing him too early in the game, I will lead off with this specially defensive support Tentacruel who comes in to lay the Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin away entry hazards later. Toxic Spikes is excellent along with hail as it allows the team to easily out live your enemy. With Tentacruels awesome special defense, ev investment in defense and/or Reflect, Tentacruel is very reliable at its job at coming in early to lay Toxic Spikes or coming back later to rapid spin.With its ability Liquid Ooze, although not the best ability, but it does great at switching into Conkeldurr Drain Punches that deals tons to my Ice types. In the offensive department, although their is nothing amazing about it, this Tentacruel does pack Scald for the burn chance and Hex to abuse to toxic spikes.

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
Ev: 252HP/4 SDef/252 SAtk
Nature: Quiet (+Satk/-Spd)
-Leech Seed
-Blizzard
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Fire

Nothing is more important than hail in a hail team right? So second up is the only user of Snow Warning, Abomasnow. Abomasnow aims to switch in early and sometimes before the opponents lead have left. This Abomasnow is packed with 252 in HP and SAtk allowing it to K.O. more fragile pokemons. Nature wise, it has quiet which increase SDef to take some hits and decrease speed. The speed decrease is essential and 0 speed iv due to the fact you want to be slower than all of the weather abilities such as Tyranitar Sand Stream which you will so you can get the hail on. After Snow Warning, depending on your opponent, you may either want to stay in to do damage, leech seed or leave. However, you must be careful not to die without confirming that your opponent has no possibly way to remove your hail which is hard to tell early in the game. Now to the moveset. The moveset is very standard, Blizzard for the 100% accuracy and stab( Which in fact can bring Aerodactyl down to his focus sash and kill him with hail), STAB Giga Drain, Leech Seed and HP Fire. HP Fire is excellent due to the increasing use of Ferrothorn. With HP Fire and Hail Damage, Ferrothorn can only move twice, meaning it is unlikely Ferrothorn will be able to set up any thing serious. Abomasnow aims to just set up hail and reinforce it if it ever subsides, but with his power moves like Blizzard, Abomasnow can strike at any moments if chance is given.

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
Evs: 252HP/148 Def/40 SDef/68 Spd
Nature: Bold (+Def/-Atk)
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Lunar Dance
-Psychic

Just from a glance you can see that I am indeed running a Dual Screen Cresselia. Theres nothing much special about this Cresselia except for the fact that it is on a Hail Team. Let me explain why. As a stall team, most of the most efficient walls only reside in a great defense or a great special defense but never both. Therefore, running Dual Screens in a hail/stall team makes it very easy to make my walls much more defensively powerful than ever. This can be seen by the monster Regice becomes after a Reflect. Nothing much can OHKO it even the Flare Blitz of an Arcanine. Lastly, with a powerful STAB Psychic, although isn't really the doomsday weapon, acts as a deterrent for fighting types to come in and fragile ones like Mienshao will be OHKO from a Psychic.The synergy the 'Lunar Pokemon' creates really builds this team up.

Regice @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
Ev: 252HP/248 Def/4 SAtk/4 SDef
Nature: Bold (+Def/-Atk)
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Protect

Regice, the star of this team. The special defense deity was banish to NU but makes its come back with its DW Ability; Ice Body (hmmm, Gamefreak seems to just realize Regice is literally an Ice Body). Combined with leftovers, Regice can use the hail like a recover move, increasing its stalling potentials. Along with Cresselias screens, Regice can even take super effective moves smoothly. The moveset is a very stallish one, having STAB Ice Beam as the only form of attack. The evs gives Regice a fantastic 327 in Def and 437 in SDef and combined with Sub,Protect and Toxic, Regice can easily stall a team to death. The only downside to Regice is its typing making it sometimes thin ice. However, the solution is to take out any potential risk of the opponent by using our next pokemon.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Ev: 244HP/192 Def/72 Spd
Nature: Impish (+ Def/-SAtk)
-Fling
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Taunt

Gliscor with the wonderful Ground/Flying typing allows it to come in a take not very effective fighting moves, neutral rock moves and immunity to electric. The evs gives him enough defense and hp to stay alive yet enough speed to deal damage to slower pokemons. The moveset is the typical Fling set and aims to hurt with STAB Earthquake and STAB Acrobatics. Taunt is there to shut off any thing setting up or block them from healing. Gliscors great synergy really just connects with Tentacruel, Abomasnow and Regice. All of them are capable of taking Ice hits for Gliscor whilst Gliscor can take Electric hits for Tentacruel and Fire/Fighting/Rock/Steel for the other two.

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
Ev: 4HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
Nature: Rash (+Spd/-SDef)
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Weatherball
-Hidden Power Fire

As the last pokemon, we are bringing back the BL legendary, Raikou. Claimed to be outshone by many electric types in Gen 4 ( Possibly Gen 5 due to the new additions and Volt Absorb didn't do much), Raikou finds a comfortable spot on my team. Scarfed and max speed, it takes to role of being my revenge killer and taking on the leftovers my other pokes have failed to stall to death. With Weatherball in the hail, Raikou runs Boltbeam with STAB Thunderbolt and 100 bp Ice Weatherball. Hidden Power Fire is there for coverage and Volt Switch is the new toy that Raikou gets, allowing it to wield a Choice Scarf even better.

Improvements Checklist

Now as most hail team suffer from, my team also do suffer from a huge fighting weakness and a huge rock weakness mostly in the form of powerful stab moves or stealth rock. Please help me eliminate or reduce these problems. A threat list will be up after a while mainly due to the fact that I am lazy.

k you say its a stallteam then you say that you don't have STALLrein idc if you changed it to WALLrein if your running a hail stall Stallrein is one of the key assets. Now first you think stallrein and people think its a pain in the butt but you could sort of have a duel stallrein set. Because regice can run the exact same set and ability the only difference is regice is weak to fire also if you want a fighting immunity but still want to abuse hail maybe add a frosslass there.

Also here is the sets for stalling

Stallrein Leftovers Ice Body Bold
EVs 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Moveset
~ Protect
~ Substitute
~ Toxic / Earthquake / Roar
~ Surf / Blizzard

Regice is the exact same set

Also if you want to add a froslass for the fighting immunity here is a good set

Froslass - "SubFusion"
Leftovers
-Substitute
-Confuse Ray
-Blizzard / Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball / Hex
248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe

This set really adds to stalling on your team

Looks pretty good...however it wouldnt hurt to switch Raikou with a Chandelure, giveing you a much needed fighting immunity and a fire resistance.
Also if Wallrein doesnt run Roar some pokes can set up on him....how about changeing Surf and HP Electric with Blizzard and Roar?

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

Pretty cool team. Regice is such an awesome pokemon. However, it's kinda Excadrill weak. Nothing on your team can really hope to beat it in Sandstorm, and sending Abomasnow against it is a very bad idea. The pokemon I'd get is Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr is very nice on a Hail team, since it resists Rock and makes fun of Sandtorm teams. You should replace Walrein with it, since it does the same as Regice, but with worse defenses (although it has better typing), and it doesn't really improve your team. You should use the standard Conkeldurr set :

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Guts
Adamant
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback

Since your team is a hail team, it has a lot of Ice typed pokemon. Those pokemon are weak to Rock, and furthermore to the ever popular Stealth Rock. This can really cripple your pokemon, especially Regice, who wants to tank everything it sees. It won't appreciate losing 25% of its HP when switching in. To patch up that weakness, change Hidden Power Electric on Tentacruel for Rapid Spin. You should also get Scald instead of Ice Beam, the burning chance is high and very useful on a tankish team like yours.

Raikou's set is very weird. 252 HP evs on a scarfer is a waste. You don't want to take hits : you want to revenge kill stuff. Also, being locked in Protect is far from ideal, you'll be set-up fodder. Here's the set you should use :

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
Pressure
Rash
EVs : 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Weather Ball
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Fire

This team is Dream World btw, you should include it in the title

Decent Hail Team! GJ dood! Only a few suggestions.

First things first. I don't like your Abomasnow set. I think a Choice Scarf one would be better. The Standard set with a few tweaks. The set of Blizzard, Wood Hammer, HP Fighting, and Water Pulse(lol). 164 Atk / 116 SpA / 228 Spe @ Hasty. Blizzard is you basic attacking move. Wood Hammer is for Toad and Hippo, but Water Pulse may do more on the latter with it's significantly lower SpD. HP Fighting may seem inferior to HP Fire, but it allows you to manhandle TTar as well as prevent you from being setup bait for Ferro. Water Pulse may seem gimicky, but it helps against Ninetales when out of the Sun.

Next, Tentacruel.
He wants Rapid Spin over HP Electric as almost all yor pokes are weak to SR. I'd also suggest Hex > Surf to abuse Toxic. Other then that, looks good.

Regice, I feel, is being dead weight here. I'd go a more stallish route and make it similar to Stallrein, with it's higher defences. I'm pretty sure it can use the same set your running. Only issue is most people don't need to switch to deal with Regice, so it'll be more challenging to set up a Sub.

As for Walrein, I feel the Super Fang + Brine set works best But if this set is good, keep it. Super Fang + Brine actually makes a decent wallbreaker when used correctly.

Raikou. Decent set, but I will attempt to improve it nonetheless! At a glance, I saw you ran HP Ice over Weather Ball. Weather Ball is clearly the better option so I suggest you switch. Idk why you have Protect on there. Your only lossing more health through Hail damage. No, I'd go HP Fire or Aura Sphere to prevent Ferro from walling you.

Lastly, I agree with the guy above. A Rock resist is a required quality that should be on all Hail teams. Although, I could see you running Rotom-W as a counter to other weather teams and as a helpful Steel resist.

That's all I got! GL with your team.

I seriously love this team! Hail is arguably the most underrated weather. Some changed in the form of these could help:

1) Running an offensive Abomasnow with a defesnive EV spread is counter-productive; use Substitute/Leech Seed/Blizzard/Giga Drain for stall, and while an offensive set could is good as well, your team is defensive.

2) I don't see much need for HP Electric when you have Raikou; change Tentacruel to Toxic Spikes/Rapid Spin/Scald/Ice Beam as you need a Spinner and a burn for Pokemon immune to TS. On Walrein, you need an Ice attack-run Substiute/Protect/Blizzard/Aqua Ring to retain even more HP every turn.

3) A neutral STAB Blizzard deal more damage than a X2 HP Water-therefor Blizzard>HP Water.

4) Why run a Bulky spread and Protect on a Scarfer? Change Raikou to 4HP/252SpA/252Spe and run Shadow Ball over Protect.

All right, I made tons of changes especially with Raikou and it worked like a charm. But there is still tons of room for improvement so I'll be testing out more of your suggestions and the two pokemons recommended; Froslass and Conkeldurr. There was also a recommendation for Chandelure which I have actually tried before posting this team but it is too fragile and is crippled in the snow. For now, the RMT will have the most updated team that I find working well.

Hey, I've made a few successful hail teams before and the abomasnow set i found works best is:
quiet, leftovers,
252hp / 4atk / 252spatk
-giga drain
-substitute
-blizzard
-ice shard

sub up then get back the lost damage in a giga drain or two. revenge kill weak opponents with ice shard. Blizzard to hit hard when possible.

LOOL!! I was just about to post for help about my Abomasnow doing nothing more than fainting. I'll try and run this set and see if it helps. Thanks :D

Ok I tried both Froslass and Conkeldurr but both don't have the perfect synergy with the team and since my team is pretty reliant on each other, taking out a pokemon and adding one of them in doesnt sum up well. So from the looks of it I might have to use some ghost types like Cofagrigus

Timid, I believe.

Also, it's just an idea, but wouldn't HP Fire be better on Walrein to prevent you from getting walled by Steels (Ferro), who aren't effected by TSpikes?

Like I changed the comemnt above, Froslass isn't what the team seems to be looking for. HP Fire would be excellent since I just went online for a few battles and got walled by Scizor and Ferrothorn.

If you don't like Conk, you can try TechniLoom or (my fav) SubPunch Loom. It would add another Fire weakness, but also add a Rock resist. Besides, You have Tentacruel to absorb Fire-type hits.

Wow, completely forgot about Gliscor. He'll also patch up my weakness to fighting and rock. Will definitely try him out. Also fixed the Cresselia Trait: Leftovers typo.

If you don't want to use Conkeldurr, you can use Machamp or Hariyama-Hariyama's Thick Fat also gives you an extra Fire resist.

Okay the final team is up, sorry for the over sized gliscor image, it was the best I can find. If there is anything you still wanna add to improve, feel free to add it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)