SS OU So I created the Melting-Ton core

ah ah.png
:magneton: :dracozolt: :hippowdon:GET THE TEAM HERE:tornadus-therian: :moltres: :tapu-lele:

It's just a funny sand team featuring an unusual core: Melting-Ton! This core uses a combo of two unusual Pokémons: Moltres and Magneton.
It turned out surprisingly good and fun so I decided to share it with you guys
CONCEPT

This core is composed of only two Pokémons: Magneton and Moltres. Both are supposed to give defensive utility while being able to deal damage to the opponent in order to keep the advantage over them during the game. Moltres covers every weaknesses of Magneton and Magneton does the same for Moltres, except for Water type. This means you can pretty much pivot between them in a Volt-turn way to weaken the opponent easily while keeping the other members of your team healthy. A Pokémon that can use Wish for Magneton or a mon that uses dual screens is really appreciated by the Melting-Ton. The problem with this is that it has a lack of speed and can lose to setup-mons (but Moltres can use Whirlwind). I'll make a post that will in more details for this specific core, but right now I decided to just NOT let my opponent setup by using this core in a Sand Team! (also I embraced the water weakness)

TEAM MEMBERS

Magneton :ss/magneton:
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Steel Beam
At first glance, Magneton is worse than Magnezone in every way possible: it has less bulk, less power, less HP and don't even have Body Press as a coverage against Ferrothorn. However, Magneton has two advantages that change everything:
- First off, it has a base Speed of 70, which is 10 points faster than its evolution. That allows Magneton to outspeed Pokémons like Tyranitar, Pelipper, Clefable and slow Heatran.
- Second, being capable of evolving allows it to hold the Eviolite, which gives Magneton a huge bulk, allowing it to switch-in a lot more than Magnezone, and with the incredible Steel type, trust me you're gonna want to switch-in often.
Not having Body Press is still a problem though, because Magnet Pull is now only handy against Corviknight, however knowing that allows us to then use Analytic instead! And the best with that ability is that the boost of damage applies when the opponent switches, which makes it really dangerous to switch into a Magneton. I can tell you nobody likes taking a boosted T-bolt or Steel Beam from this thing (even if it has less base power than Magnezone it's still a monster with 120 base Special Attack btw).
That Pokémon is supposed to counter mons like Clefable, the Tapus, and most of the defensive mons outside of Ferrothorn and Slowking-Galar. Switching into them can be pretty easy with Eviolite and Sandstorm, and then the opponent either has to take a big hit from it or switch and risk losing a Pokémon. Either way, it puts you in an advantage that you can transfer to another mon with Volt Switch. Steel Beam is there for having even more damage and killing Magneton for a switch at the end of a turn for something like Dracozolt or Tapu-Lele.
-You can take the Spe Def EVs to put them in Speed so it can outspeed more mons like Fast Buzzwole

-Magnet Pull is still a good ability to use if you think Corviknight is a problem, just keep in mind that T-bolt doesn't OHKO it

-Thunderbolt or Steel Beam can be replaced with Thunder if you want to OHKO Corviknight

-You can replace Steel Beam with Substitute or Thunder Wave to take advantage on resisted switch-ins

-A friend of mine had the idea of running Choice Specs on it, I think it's trash but feel free to try if you want

Dracozolt :ss/dracozolt:
Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 120 Atk / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
Dracozolt is the main sweeper of the team, this is its only purpose. Bolt Beak is mandatory on EVERY SINGLE DRACOZOLT, Earthquake is a free kill on Tapu Koko, and can kill very easily any Steel types that took a hit from Bolt Beak on a switch-in, Fire Blast is for hitting Ferrothorn and Draco Meteor is there to hit Garchomp without being hit by Rough Skin. The big problem with Dracozolt is that it's pretty frail by OU standards, which can make it pretty difficult to put it on the field, so the idea is to get it from a Volt Switch from Magneton or a U-Turn from Tornadus-Therian. Plus, since Hippowdon doesn't hold Smooth Rock, Sandstorm will only last for maximum of 4 turns when Dracozolt hits the field, but don't worry it's more than enough. In fact, Bolt Beak is so powerful that it often means a kill if you succeed at hitting an opposing mon with it.
I don't think you should change anything on this mon, except maybe for Life Orb that you can replace with Lum Berry in case you're scared of burn.

Hippowdon :ss/hippowdon:
Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Hippowdon is a better pick imo than Tyranitar for two reasons: first, it can recover. Second, it is Ground type. Since we play a lot of Flying types, I prefered playing a Ground type mon for setting up Sandstorm, and Hippowdon is the only the best canditate for that. This set is prett self-explanatory, just your average Hippowdon, made for setting up the field with Sand Stream and Stealth Rock. It virtually has a constent 50% boost in Spe Def with Sandstorm, making it really bulky overall.
You can replace Toxic with Yawn btw.

Tornadus-Therian :ss/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog
This is the anti-Stealth Rock mon, the set is pretty self-explanatory, it can knock-off items, defog hazards and terrains, pivot into another mon like Dracozolt or Tapu Lele, and has Regenerator because Pokémon is "fun". Regenerator and its amazing speed are the factors that make Tornadus-T better than Lando-T in this team in my opinion. Nothing should be replaced.

Moltres:ss/moltres:
Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scorching Sands
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Roost
Moltres is another interesting pick since it's the Pokemon that handles the biggest threats of Magneton. This thing walls Ferrothorn, Heatran (until it decides to go for Toxic :changry:), Volcarona, Buzzwole and Kartana after Moltres loses its item. Roost allows for self-recovery which is needed even more in this team because of Sandstorm, and Scorching Sands is there for coverage to hit Heatran.
- Flamethrower can be replaced for Fire Blast for even more fire power

- Hurricane can be replaced with Weather Ball, Whirlwind, U-Turn, Toxic, or Defog. These are the best alternatives

- Heavy-Duty Boots can (weirdly) be replaced with either with Sitrus Berry, Lum Berry or straight-up nothing
For Sitrus Berry, make sure you balance your HP EVs in a way that hitting Stealth Rock puts Moltres down to exactly 50% or less, so it triggers the item
Lum Berry is made especially for Toxic Heatran
Holding no item is HIGHLY unadvised, but the niche here is that Moltres now handles Kartana's Knock Off better, but it's really gimmicky so I don't recommend this, I just found the idea funny so yeah

Tapu Lele :ss/tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
The second sweeper of the team is Tapu Lele, that deals with fast mons without having to use Sandstorm. Its Psychic Terrain also allows to counter Weavile's Ice Shard and Bisharp's Sucker Punch. However that field has a high chance of being replaced on a lead with other terrains since Choice Scarf makes Tapu Lele faster than other terrain setters most of the time. Psyshock can hit Calm Mind-based mons and Blissey.
- Psyshock / Psychic can be replaced with Thunder, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Draining Kiss, Energy Ball, Nature's Madness or Future Sight

- Psyshock / Psychic can also be replaced with Skill Swap, in order to activate the terrain again, but it's really gimmicky

WHAT DOES IT LOSE TO?

- Rain teams are the toughest match-ups.

- Melmetal is horrible.

- Ground spammers are annoying.

And that's about it, the team has its flaws, but it is a ton of fun playing it (I mean, who wouldn't like to play Magneton?)

Last edited:
I actually really like Bulky Analytic Magneton, as I have fond memories of using it back in BW2 RU to counter Hail. I def don't think its the worst thing you can run since it it has pretty OK match-ups against good Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Clefable, Toxapex, etc. However, I don't think Sand is the best structure to use it on since it doesn't get much out of it aside from a bit of chip on checks like Zeraora. At the same time, I do see it having merit as a Landorus lure kinda since Analytic Steel Beam OHKO's it after SR, which is pretty great for Dracozolt. That being said, I think a mon like Physically defensive Slowking-G might be better for this role since it has greater longevity due to Regenerator, does similarly well against Toxapex and Clefable, and can survive Earthquake from more defensive vairant's of Landorus unlike Magneton, making it an easier lure to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)