Helpful Posting Tips

hello smogoff Posters. i am zee. I'm no phoopes or monkfish but during my travels through this wonderful subforum i have picked up a few tricks of the trade. it is in my hopes that we can make smogoff a better place and newer posters can heed some of this advice.

these are some things you should consider when posting new threads. you don't have to check all these boxes but a few of them would be helpful.

1 - is the audience wide enough?

this is a question i think a lot of people overlook. if the thread is easy to get involved in, it will make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. If you're posting about who in the Pokemon Showdown RU chatroom is most likely to win a roomtour with 4 bug types, it's not an accessible topic and the thread will likely die instantly or not serve much purpose.

tierlists also fall into this category. I know I've posted like two tierlists in this sub but they typically do not allow for much discussion and/or clever Posting.

here are some examples of threads that encourage multiple users to participate and therefore are considered generally good:
explain what your avatar is
smogoff cap
post your hot takes

2 - does it tell a compelling story?

smogoff can also be a really cool place for sharing some of your day to day experiences in a casual environment. it's nice to get to know what some of our friends are up to in that strange place known as "the real world".

again, here are some examples!
candy store
I'm a bouncer at a bar

3 - does your post have or inspire a very witty joke

niche threads that are basically just a joke or inspire a series of elaborate jokes are really funny, as long as you're good enough at reading the room to not post a thread on said joke once its time has came and gone.

examples for these are pretty hard to find so i wont link any directly. you can see all the "guide to x posting" threads to get a good idea tho

with that out of the way, here are some tips on your general smogoff presence

1 - have a unique niche about yourself. when i think of this i think about total clefairy and my like ratio, lord thumbnails and holy music stops, or az and logging on a site for pokemon players more than pokemon players despite not playing pokemon. don't try too hard to develop this - it should come naturally, and try not to copy the habits of well known users! it's way cooler when u do it yourself.

2 - going off the next one, don't try so hard my dudes. this is a social, off topic forum on a pokemon website. we're here for the vibes. you do not need to go post in 5 threads within 5 minutes. you dont need to post trendy funny things like XD AMONG US FUNNY SUS AMONG US SUS BASED. again, just chill.

thank u for putting up with me taking 15 minutes out of my day to teach 14 year olds some Posting advice. take it easy.

Last edited:

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
a Posting niche is not always apparent at first sight. my advice to you, young snessy, is introspection: what do you think the future of this forum should be? when you can answer such an important question, then you shall know your truth. for Posting, after all, is in the eye of the Poster...

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
this is a good thread but i think it uses an overly narrow definition of "success". personally i think smogoff is at its best when you're making good posts for the sake of making good posts, even if they dont get appreciated by anyone else. more of a natural extension of the self that can then be tailored to the community as you see fit, but without losing the integrity of being your post and hence becoming meaningless.

as an example i think stuff like the hot takes thread are generally too reddit-y although there are some good posts in them. additionally having a niche is cool but allowing yourself to be defined by it can be detrimental. just because youre really good at 1 thing doesnt mean you should be doing it for every post.

i dont mean to sound overly elitist or pretentious, this is just what's worked for me and my personal opinion after lurking this forum a while

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)