Helpful Posting Tips

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I come to this thread in a time of need.

As a general reminder to everyone, please, please, please think before you post. As stated in the guidelines not every post has to be “funny” and you don’t need to try to be funny. But it’s good to just take a minute and ask yourself if you’re reeeaalllly contributing something to a thread before you post in it. There’s been a need for lots of thread locking and post deleting recently so I’m making this post to just encourage the userbase here to take a step back and think before you post.

I’m not trying to discourage anyone and I’m not calling anyone out in particular but yeah. As always if you have any questions or concerns you can reach out to me and/or the other Smogoff mods.

okay funny police signing off:heart:

EDIT: re-sticking this thread for now

Last edited:

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
i got one tip:
dont make postcount++ threads. theyre also just super boring too.
they also get locked at random, thanks in part to kala, who has less tolerance for them than some of the staff, lol.
bringing these to the forefront again

i don’t mind funny shit or in-jokes between buddies or cute stuff or genuine questionposting or really anything with a modicum of substance

but please for the love of god and ryan murphy stop making threads for the sake of your post counts, and doubleposting for no reason other than to fill a void

ok that’s all, get out there and try again
:heart:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
don’t listen to people who tell you to make good posts. post quality reflects who you are but it isn’t as simple as “good posts mean ur cool bad posts mean u aren’t”. similar to competitive games and art, posting is a skill or endeavor that can be approached many different ways— one does not have to set out to become a “good poster”, in fact paradoxically their posts might become better if they choose not to.

important thing is to enjoy the experiences of posting, reading other posts, and having your post received by others.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
if you encounter a sticky thread, don't wait for a moderator

roll up your sleeves and get stuck in cleaning that thread. invite your friends to help out, too

sticky threads are a byproduct of pollution and pose a severe risk to forum health

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)