Songs of (Emotional) Destruction

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I like sad music. Hashtag sorry not sorry. I wanted to share with you, and hopefully you will share with me, those songs that just destroy you emotionally when you hear them.

Tiger Lou's "Like My Very Own Blood" starts off innocently enough. It's doesn't sound sad, but it sure as hell doesn't make you think sunshine and rainbows. After you hit the first chorus, you even start to think it might be uplifting... and then the quick second verse is like a stab in the stomach. Heavy shit.

Sufjan Stevens writes some pretty sad songs, but "Casimir Pulaski Day" is (in my opinion) his saddest. Just from the first stanza ("Goldenrod and the 4H stone\the things I brought you when I found out you had cancer of the bone"), you know you're in for it, and the rest of the song continues the theme of rending your heart into confetti, line by line. By the time he's crying on the bathroom floor, you're right there with him.

Speaking of cancer, here comes Jason Isbell with "Elephant". I adore this album, and this song is the depressing centerpiece. There is nothing worse than watching a loved one fade away into nothing because of sickness, and he perfectly encapsulates that distress here. And that final chorus ("No one dies with dignity")... damn.

Sun Kil Moon, aka Mark Kozolek from Red House Painters, put out this album last year, which is basically a collection of his saddest life memories put to acoustic guitar. There's one song about his cousin dying in an explosion, one about his uncle committing suicide, and then this song, "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love". The first time I heard this song, I was left in tears and distraught, because while the thought of my mother not always being in my life was something I hadn't even thought about, I realized I'm well above 30 now, and that reality is quickly approaching. This one definitely is the most personal on this list.

La Dispute is, by default, incredibly emotional and heavy, but "King Park"... I can't even begin to describe the weight it leaves in your chest. moot introduced me to this band with this song, and, to this day, I have listened to it fewer than ten total times, because I just can't take it. I understand the screamed vocals may turn some off, but I urge you to give the entire song a listen, because it isn't so much music as it is an experience. Add to that a gut punch climax like no other recorded by humans, and I have no problem saying this song has left me in tears multiple times (another reason I avoid listening to it).

Okay, that's all I've got off the top of my head. If I continue down this path, I'm liable to play in traffic. Whatchu got, tough guy?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Joy Division have some pretty depressing music. I'll just link one for now but they have done a lot of depressing songs.

La Dispute is, by default, incredibly emotional and heavy, but "King Park"... I can't even begin to describe the weight it leaves in your chest. moot introduced me to this band with this song, and, to this day, I have listened to it fewer than ten total times, because I just can't take it. I understand the screamed vocals may turn some off, but I urge you to give the entire song a listen, because it isn't so much music as it is an experience. Add to that a gut punch climax like no other recorded by humans, and I have no problem saying this song has left me in tears multiple times (another reason I avoid listening to it).
I saw this thread title and rushed to post this song before seeing you beat me to it.
CAN I STILL GET INTO HEAVEN IF I KILL MYSELF has made me feel like I'm going to break down every time i hear it, this song is just ridiculously powerful
Another great La Dispute song is I See Everything:
This song physically hurts me.

Ed Sheeran is known for his generally upbeat sad/fucked up songs, and The A Team is no exception. Little Lady is an alternate version of this song which is much more explicit. This is possibly the most upfront direct song on this subject I've heard. Give it a listen even if you don't like Ed.

Reactions: DM

Recessional by the same artist is also subtly tragic and lonely.

this one is my go-to crying song, just a really painful, resonant break-up song

Notoriously disturbing song so be warned, it doesn't so much freak me out (though it does freak out other people quite a lot) so much as just make me cry

most of the songs on Tori Amos's Little Earthquakes, but in particular Precious Things. I think probably because I have a similar level of bitter experience and this song lacks the hopefulness of most of the other tracks on the album. its super punchy for me.

Suzanne Vega's Luka (upbeat sounding track, the tension and close link between the resolute optimism and the grimness of the content precisely why its so sad)

Haïti by Arcade Fire, I thought about posting In the Backseat which has a more haunting sadness most people can relate to, but I think Haïti is much sadder if you listen to the lyrics and think about it in context, and it affects me more deeply

thanks for the links everyone, I like to listen to songs that screw me up to process my feelings

few more theater island suffocation the ocean (listen to live performances of this one actually it will screw you up because the song is literal and laura jane was closeted at the time)

sorry for lazy post I'm supposed to be studying edit: formatting is hard

RODAN

Banned deucer.

absolutely fucking kills me every time i listen to it, especially poignant after his death

this song hits me personally, because its about the loss of friends and feeling left behind while everyone else gets their life together.

--

also the entire album Homogenic - Bjork, is one of the most profoundly emotional pieces of music i've ever heard

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

always does a number on me. On The Beach on the whole is one of those that sifts its way down into your soul.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Not quite sure what it is about this song...
Has a strong feeling of desperation which is complimented nicely by Phil's earnest vocals.

This is a perfect example of why I cant listen to too much country music. Very sad song which is heartbreaking by the time its over.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
ohhh, I've got a couple :0

this one's made even more overwhelming by its backstory: after drummer / lyricist Neil Peart lost both his daughter and his wife within less than a year, he pretty much "fled" on his motorbike to get away from, well, everything. The title should say plenty.

I kind of hope this one needs no an introduction. But basically, I'm generally not too much of a fan of love songs because fsr they often seem a tad generic / insincere... not this one though, this one is so deeply introspective, heartfelt, powerful, and especially sad / desperate that it's leagues above the others.

because I don't think I'll be able to postpone my childhood's end _that_ much longer u_u It's not _sad_ per se, but the lyrics are kinda relevant lol.

Andy's guitar playing is... seriously poignant (and he can do even better than this :0) it's instrumental so I guess I don't need any words anyways heh

"for times of true solitude, when humans only increase your personal solitude"

not sure if anything more crushing (in every sense of the word) exists

wish there was just one video with both considering how essential a warm place is to eraser but w/e

I have no idea why but I legitimately cannot listen to this song without getting sad as fuck.

just when you think it can't get better, the bass kicks in

I don't even like cali

i was mentioned in this thread and am on a phone but if you have the time i recommend looking up Andria also by la dispute

Reactions: DM
Songs: Ohia - The Body Burned Away

Bright Eyes - Lua

Townes Van Zandt - Waiting 'Round to Die

Warning - Watching From a Distance

The Antlers - Two

Atmosphere - Fuck You Lucy

Last edited:

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Oh man, Atmosphere = so amazing. Lots of great additions to the thread so far.

I can't believe I forgot this song in the OP. Brand New can do emotion very well, and this is by far their most emotionally gripping album, but this song didn't click for me at first. I knew it was good, but I didn't pay close attention to the lyrics or what it all could mean. Then, one day, I looked them up and was linked to the story behind the song. (Trigger warning: it's awful. Read only if you think you can handle it.) Since then, I can't listen to the song without feeling an immense sadness, and the way it's written from the mother's point-of-view, then the driver's then Katie's is compelling and poignant.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ah weeks have gone by and not even one song by Leonard Cohen? Hard to pick just one song, as Leonard Cohen is a master of completely unexpected fucking gutpunches, but I guess you can't go wrong with Famous Blue Raincoat.

Oh, and you can basically include all of Elliott Smith's catalogue here. King's Crossing is probably his straight up most upsetting, but Waltz #2 in many ways hits me even harder.

I honestly don't think most of Tom Waits' songs are that sad, but Anywhere I Lay My Head is one of my go-to songs when I want to really feel down for a bit. The way he just screams this song out completely belies the lyrics and makes this song one of my favorites by Waits.

And even though I claim Baltimore as my home these days, I'm still a Jersey boy at heart, so I've pretty much got to include the Boss:

Oh hell, there are a million more songs that could go here. I haven't even touched on Nina Simone's catalogue. Well, that's a pretty good start for now.

Thanys

Banned deucer.
I love sad songs too !, like Videogames, Say Something...sad songs are amazing and beautiful, omg..

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers: "I dont wanna say goodby"

Plays at one of the most sad parts of the game.

I really like songs of emotional destruction too, amazingly, I feel better after listening this type of songs, and I will suggest one that I really love.

I hope you all listen and enjoy! :heart:

#Socialization

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)