Songwriters / Composers / Producers / Musicmakers Thread

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
how does this thread not exist yet

Is anyone here in a band? Write songs for fun or professionally? There's no way I'm the only one. I'm gunna talk about me and my shit here but post your online stuff and talk about your own (and each other's) music and musical accomplishments, influences, favoured genres, composing techniques, fuckin anything and everything composition. Might expand this OP later but just wanted to get the idea down :psyduck:

https://soundcloud.com/ethanwaltersmusic
https://soundcloud.com/ethanwaltersmusic2

so I do a whole bunch of stuff. Those two links have everything that I did while I was still at art school, and a few bits in the second link that are demos that I sort of half produced from my hour-long catalogue of original pop tunes that I still perform in public in my local city. I love trying to do things with chords and odd meters to make my tunes sound unique, and I pull on my jazz training a lot to make that happen. My influences are hugely varied, ranging everywhere from Radiohead to Genesis to Autechre to Squarepusher to Yes to Regina Spektor to Aesop Rock, but my music mainly ends up sounding like jazz meets Thom Yorke and I guess that's ok. I do some things for my band as well and I'll definitely post here when that stuff starts hitting the internet but not yet :s

Highlights from those links include:
  • Three Mile Island (interesting chords here, fairly cut and dry pop tune but i love the lyrics. good old nuclear allegory to describe feelings)
  • Crosswalk (11/8. count it out boi)
  • Forever, and a Day (sweet love song. verses are in 9/8 and the choruses in 6/8 and that's about the only interesting thing i do there besides the modulation between the two parts)
  • The Meatspace (atmospheric film score type thing. tons of interplay between 5/4 and 7/4. basically i love this, probably the highlight when it comes to my amateurish production lol)
  • The GarageBand Suite (i did these in high-school so the production plumbs new depths of terrible, but i'm super attached to these and i find the writing and instrumentation to be kind of compelling for something i did as a first attempt seven years ago. idk)
  • Bottlebrush (a friend of mine was commissioned to do a 60s pop song for a uni film and i got roped into helping him out. this result was this clav-filled pop monstrosity. this friend has since passed on so it's bittersweet for me (he was also in the band with me that plays Pale Blue Dot, also in the first link) and this is a fond memory for me. it's cute c: )

Kudos if you read all that. I wanted to talk about my own music a whole bunch and this is post #999 for me so thanks for indulging me haha. Your turn now!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)