Soul Calibur 4?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Anyone else play this? I have it on XBox360 is anyone else wants to play sometime. I'm tired of beating randoms online. Ironically this is the only fighting game I can play worth a damn. PM me for my gamertag if you're interested.

Also if there's enough of you we can actually use this thread to discuss tiers and stuff!

unfortunately I only have a wii, so no sc4 for me :/ (yet)

I do want to know how yoda and vader play

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have an xbox and I was thinking of getting this, but the cheap ass in me is waiting until I can find a good deal.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've played it a few times here at my friends for a while, he got it on Wednesday because he works at Gamestation. I've been unimpressed with it to be honest, though I only have a Wii anyway so wouldn't be able to buy it even if I liked it.

I pre-ordered the 360 version and got it the first day. I played for an hour and then- BOOM! I get the fucking "red-circle-of-death." I have always loved the soul calibur series, and this one seems pretty good. I only got to try a couple of characters and now I'm going to have to wait a month to get back at it. I'm pissed.

Maybe if this thread takes off, I won't fall behind on tiers and strategies while everyone else gets to play.

What's the "red circle of death"?

Also, even though I don't have the game and won't be capable of getting it, I'd definitely like to see a tier/character discussion.

Especially on Sophitia.

<3

Will probably be getting the PSTRIPPLE version sometime, I'm glad Vader isn't fucking borked like that little shit Yoda. How does Taki stand up in tiers? All I can ever remember was that goddamn HELLPIRATE Cervantes being top tier in SC 2.

Oh jesus, Cervantes...I had SC2 for the GCN, that guy got on my last nerve. =( My brother beat me easily with Cervantes while I could beat with when he was anyone else...

What's the "red circle of death"?

Also, even though I don't have the game and won't be capable of getting it, I'd definitely like to see a tier/character discussion.

Especially on Sophitia.

<3
It is when the Xbox 360 just up and stops working. Three red lights flash in a circle... you seriously haven't heard of this.

Also SC2 for Gamecube was awesome. Link was probably the coolest thing that happened to SC2. Pretty good too.

Nah...never heard of it. I've never even seen an XBox 360, to be honest. Does it affect all XBoxes?

I'm going to pick this game up in the next few days for the 360. When I first got the Gamecube I had a good feeling about SC2 having known nothing about the series beforehand or seeing any ratings and I bought it. One of the best purchases for my 'cube. My cousin just gave me his PS2 so I might play 3 but SC4 should be excellent.

Soon as I get it and some strats down i'll be up for some online.

Nah...never heard of it. I've never even seen an XBox 360, to be honest. Does it affect all XBoxes?
The number usually thrown around is 33% of 360s. I don't own a 360 but I do know quite a few people whose xboxes were hit by the Red Ring of Death (RRoD), including my neighbor, who had it twice.

Edit: I'm thinking of picking up this game, but I'd really want to try it out first . . . I know I liked SC2 for the PS2, sure was fun. The online play should keep SC4 going for a while, I know I got tired of mostly playing against my brother all the time. gogo Vader.

We have the PS3 version, though haven't played it yet. I have no idea if Kilik is still in, but I hope so, he is my favorite and I got pissed when they took out his "Breaking Stones" move in SC3. Also I am still iffy about having lightsabers in the game (poor mitsurui), but hey its marketing I guess :[

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
From what i've seen, a few things:

The Apprentice looks super broken. Imagine Metaknight in brawl and that's what you have. Now i'm no SC expert, and i can hardly play the game so feel free to overwrite me but, his close range moves are super fast and his long range moves are quick as well, so he never has problems closing the gap. At long range his Force Lightning can chop off 30% of your gauge and mid range close to 40. His front grab alone does like 30% and his kick combos lead into lightsaber juggles so well that once they get goign it seems impossible to get momentum.

Astaroth seems nerfed--i find myself dying the same rate, he still is a tank, but it seems some of his quick moves got slower and powerful move lost power, possibly with good reason? i've always heard he was Top Tier.

as a Voldo/Raphael main, though...

Voldo seems much improved. Maybe i have a better grasp of him over the years but i seem to be doing real combo's that destroy and juggle my opponents with ease. Switching between his moonwalk/crabwalking stances just to pop out a killing blow back grab or some amazing voldo wheels has never been easier, and all of his poking moves have increased in power--good for when it gets down to the wire and a sliver of health is all you have to work with, has won be quite a few battles.

Cervantes still looks fucking great. And i still hate him.

Darth Vader looks like he needs more understanding--a lot of his force specials need to be done in succession to be good, just one does almost no damage and will throw someone down, while a chain of them pick them up, toss them around, up and down, and to hell and back. His front grab sucks so much ass it's insane, but his power makes you feel like you're fighting with batman when he wins.

Raphael is quicker, lighter, more fragile, more agile, and is a fucking vampire. Horizontal combos into bloodsucking fucking rocks.

Amy is also top tier. I don't have any real foundation for this other than an amazing range, and her ability to leave opponents in this sort of suction hole, where once you take the fight to her, there's no way you can escape--back dashes, sidesteps, she'll stun you at close range and fucking wolverine your ass. She's weak, but when you're hit 29 times in 15 seconds that doesn't quite matter.

mostly speculation but i feel it's more to the point of the thread!

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Raphael is pretty terrible, but Amy seems to be a lot better when it comes to moves and quickness.

Yoda is pretty damn broken, since most horizontal moves go over his head and he cannot be grabbed. If you do a horizontal move you're going to get your ass handed to you by some of his force combos.

Darth Vader isn't bad, but not overpowered either. He is, nonetheless, "cool". I almost would rather have the PS3 version so I wouldn't have to play against Yoda online.

The Apprentice is pretty damn slick, but as a totally new character he will take some getting used to. He has some pretty awesome combos.

As I play Cervantes I am quite happy - he's back to be excellent. With a Soul Edge equipped Custom in Cervantes style I'm destroying the special ladder due to his massive damage.

Other than that, its status quo, with the likes of Mitsurugi, Taki, Setsuka, Sophitia, etc, being very good, but add Cervantes to that again.

Siegfried and Nightmare get chosen against me like every other match, but mainly they fail.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Really fucking annoyed that this game isn't available for the Wii.

All my friends are sick of losing to me in Smash and want to switch to another fighter. While I'd happily settle for an old classic in the Street Fighter line, they're all into the new. This sounds decently interesting...but argh I don't have an XBox360 or PS3.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
Really fucking annoyed that this game isn't available for the Wii.

All my friends are sick of losing to me in Smash and want to switch to another fighter. While I'd happily settle for an old classic in the Street Fighter line, they're all into the new. This sounds decently interesting...but argh I don't have an XBox360 or PS3.
Drag their asses to an arcade and hand them their asses there. At least, I have to assume an arcade version is already released, or will be shortly.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Aside from the problem of arcades being an endangered species nowadays, you can't really practice your moveset's natural combos very well at an arcade, which is something that the Soul Calibur series really requires you to know to do well at. And I haven't played any of the prior games, so I don't have leftover knowledge or technical skill from those.

That being said, if there is an arcade version released...hrm. There's a few arcade cabinets at our school. I'll have to see if I can get the People In Charge to dump one of them for a shiny new SC4 machine (or a shiny old Street Fighter 3 machine).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)