Monotype Sour Patch Kids (A Monotype Electric Team)

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion

Hello everyone, I am user: Wanka. I haven't had any teams I've enjoyed enough to RMT since the start of SM so I thought I'd share something I recently built with the help of some wise minds of the monotype community. Early s/o to Eien. The Monotype metagame has been fairly stable as of late and during times like this I like to make a conscience effort to find which types and mon combinations within those types can form an anti meta team to sort of breakthrough the current status quo. Electric has always been a predominant Offensively oriented type in the new generation but hadn't broken the mold too much. However, in the current meta I think it acts as a very effective type to ladder with and has shown some ok success in the tournament scene. LGI.

Process:

1520235513483.png
arguably one of the best wall breakers in the meta and provides terrain for electric teams
1520235520781.png
1520235525987.png
rotom provides a durable pivot, water coverage, and a nice ability for electric teams. Can utilize a multitude of utility moves to be effective
1520235543461.png
1520235549645.png
1520235554643.png
the introduction to golem was fantastic for electric, providing the type a bulky physical wall breaker that also sets stealth rock
1520235564447.png
1520235568304.png
1520235573477.png
1520235578113.png
zap is a staple on every electric team. Acts as a bulky pivot that provides hazard control and a ground immunity.
1520235592120.png
1520235597520.png
1520235601842.png
1520235607664.png
1520235612548.png
alolan chu has a fantastic movepool to wallbreak in the current metagame and benefits from electric terrain with surge surfer
1520227104564.png
1520227110683.png
1520227114802.png
1520227119073.png
1520227124260.png
1520227144781.png
mag provides a nice steel typing and a great trapper/bulky pivot for electric teams.

Squad:

1520232826059.png

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Once again tapu koko is arguably the best wallbreaker in the current metagame. The versatility as a breaker makes it able to pick and choose what it wants to beat while also providing great support for electric teams with it's ability in electric surge. I went for a more simple set in specs, but I think specs is as effective as it's ever been in seeing as a lot of teams outside of ground as a type lack a reliable volt switch immunity. Common types like flying and steel usually do have an immunity but they either are severely pressured by hidden power ice or get trapped by magnezone so it's very easy for koko to be a pest and constantly pivot around and punching holes in teams. Tapu koko also has a fantastic speed tier and can outspeed up to base 70 scarfers or +1 adamant dragonite.

1520232848922.png

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom provides fantastic utility in one mon making it very difficult not to use on electric. It acts as a nice durable pivot with access to will-o-wisp to cripple physical attackers. Usually you would see a lot of rotom's running physically defensive EV spreads, but thanks to Eien I have found great success in flipping it's role to become a specially defensive pivot instead. Anytime I've used electric I've struggled immensely with opposing heatran, but this spread makes it a lot easier to deal with. Physically defensive rotom honestly doesn't enjoy switching into magma storms and loses a lot of longevity in those matchups, but with this spread I've been much more comfortable dealing with tran and can get a lot more momentum instead of having to pain split after one switch in. Along with a greater appreciation of this spread, rotom also provides the team with a nice water typing and coverage and a good ability in levitate.

1520232863917.png

Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Focus Punch

The introduction of alolan golem provided electric with a viable option for stealth rock. In previous metas electric had to rely on things like stunfisk for stealth rock, which was not a great look for electric. Golem not only acts as a viable rocker, but a nice physical wall breaker to give a normally specially oriented attacking type versatility in wall breaking. The last slot is usually taken up by something like earthquake or explosion for a galvanize nuke, but I decided to try focus punch, which was also inspired by Eien to be able to take on the normal eviolite core. Chansey is a sever issue for electric teams and still is even with this tech, but it makes the matchup winnable if you outplay and put your opponent under lots of pressure with golem. Not only can it break chansey, but it can also catch an aggressive diggersby switch, another mon electric teams don't like dealing with. The EVS are pretty standard, maximizing attack and speed for better wall breaking ability. Jolly can be run instead of adamant, but from what I've seen focus punch benefits greatly from an adamant nature.

1520232894284.png

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Zapdos, much like rotom has been a staple for electric teams for multiple generations. However, Zap has mainly been known as a specially defensive pivot rather than a physical one. Due to rotom's role being switch, it becomes redundant to have two specially defensive walls/pivots in the team so running a physically bulky spread makes a lot of sense here. this type of spread is more comfortable in checking tapu bulu and also provides a better answer mega lopunny. It also can 100% take a +6 azumarill aqua jet from full and is nice for emergency pivoting on a boosted mimikyu in order to break its disguise. The volt switch and heat wave combo is great for cleaning up against steel and is nice for pivoting around and pestering grass teams. Toxic can be run in combination with discharge, but I personally prefer this combination as it allows me to keep up momentum and pressure on opponents. Zap also is arguably the best hazard control option for electric with access to defog and a ground immunity.

1520232767581.png

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

Raichu became big threat in the monotype metagame with in tandem with tapu koko and its ability in surge surfer. Not only does it become a speedy powerhouse under electric terrain, it provides electric teams with access to fantastic coverage options and a newly appreciated psychic stab attacker. Most LO raichu sets don't utilize volt switch and in a lot of cases that makes sense but i honestly like it over using something like focus blast. Yes, focus blast hits steels like ferrothorn and excadrill, but im not worried about those mons as i have my trapper that I will get into more later. That being said, I decided to just run volt switch because it makes the team so much more pest like, constantly pivoting and hole punching all over the place and eventually opening up a clear route to victory. Raichu can also have a tough time outright ohkoing some mons so I don't like running tbolt as my sole electric coverage on non specs sets because half the time I won't be able to hit what's in front of me anyways.

1520232939395.png

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Magnezone is interchangable with a few electric type mons, but I really have enjoyed using it due to it's trapping capabilities. With an air balloon it always traps scarf drill, a usual problem for electric teams and it also traps ferrothorn on both steel and grass, another problematic mon for electric to deal with. It also traps excadrill on ground as well, which elminates grounds fairy and psychic resist. Steel can honestly be a pretty problematic matchup without trapper mag as the combination of excadrill, ferro, and heatran can pester electric by scouting, widdling with burns, leech seed, and threatening with scarf drill. Mag completely messes up that core and again acts as a great pivot in general that can switch into things like the lati twins so you don't have to risk koko and pivot out on them. the steel coverage is also great for fairy teams as flash cannon is very spammable along with being able to trap klefki. I like having toxic because mew and swampert can be annoying to handle and popping those with a quick toxic on those mons severly decreases their longevity and make life easier.

Threats:

1520233905200.png
DD nite and band nite are pretty big threats to electric as they break the two mon core and dnite possesses strong priority in espeed

1520233992431.png
LO kyub tends to have access to earth power and that with teravolt and ice beam is tough to handle. koko takes advantage of it and can use it to get a free kill, but still a threat regardless.

1520234099151.png
SD gallade with shadow sneak can pose a threat if you play koko poorly. sneak is very weak so it takes a lot of chip, but this will sweep you if u dont play carefully

1520234168141.png
1520234177575.png
again, the eviolite core is very tough to deal with as these two can easily wear down the team with status and recovery.

1520234243260.png
Mega venu is a pest with leech seed and in conjunction with muk can be very tough to handle. I have successfully PP stalled it before, but you have to play very well in order to do so.

Conclusion:

Building and using this has sparked a newfound interest for me in the current metagame. Obviously as a council member and someone who has played mono for quite a bit now, I like the fact that our metagame is currently stable and I want it to stay that way, but it isn't rocket science to know that stable metagames can be boring at times so I'm happy I was able to have success with an offhand anti-meta type to get me going again. Hope everyone enjoys. I will drop an import, replays, and some ladder ranks to show it's success.

s/o woa and IW
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Focus Punch

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey. This team is really cool, and I like a lot of the sets on it, specifically Focus Punch Alolan Golem and physically defensive Zapdos. I only really have 1 suggestion:

Change the Magnezone spread: The 128/252/128 spread is pretty outdated in the current metagame, and in your Grass replay, Mega Venusaur was able to outspeed and Synthesis before you were able to KO it with the next Flash Cannon. So I'd suggest running 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe with a Modest nature. This spread is just to outspeed Mega Venusaur, because you never know when you need a crucial 2HKO.

Here's the set after the suggested change, I hope this helps:

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)