SS OU Spec and Melmetal bulky offense

Hi! This is a new team I made that has gotten me into the higher ladder, however it has some glaring weaknesses that I have been having problems with. Any advice is appreciated, although I want to keep Melmetal on this team if possible.

Unknown.jpeg

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Rillaboom serves as a great wallbreaker for the team. Grassy Glide is an effective form of speed control, which this team does really need. It also eliminates bulky waters such as Suicune and Gastrodon that the rest of the team might have struggled with. I opted for Superpower on Rillaboom instead of Wood Hammer, because Ferrothorn is relatively unchecked by the other members of the team. With superpower, Rillaboom can 2HKO Ferrothorn and Melmetal. Knock Off is great for Pokemon that resist Grassy Glide such as Moltres, Zapdos, and Corviknight. For the former two, without HDB stealth rock does decent damage, enough to wear them down over time. It is all around useful to hit Pokemon that would not fear Boom otherwise. Finally, U-Turn allows it to have an escape option, and can let it bring in another Pokemon safely.

Unknown.jpeg

Spectrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 112 HP / 20 Def / 172 SpA / 20 SpD / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp

Spectrier functions as a great sweeper for this team. Hex takes advantage of the numerous status spreaders in the team, and with boosts and an opposing team with status, it becomes hard to wall. Substitute allows it to scout switch ins, and get off boosts or burns from the safety of it. Calm Mind is great because it not only boosts it's power, but also Special Defense, making it harder to breakthrough with a combination of Burns and Spdef boosts. Finally, Will-O-Wisp burns opposing Pokemon, helping to spread status and making physical attackers weaker. A great sweeper who can snowball over other teams if given the chance!

Unknown-1.jpeg

Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Melmetal is a good teammate for Spectrier, being able to check Blissey and Tyranitar, which all give Spec a hard time. Double Iron Bash is great for eliminating Fairy types like Clef and Tapu Lele. It also hits neutral Pokemon ridiculously hard too. I opted for High Horsepower over Earthquake because Boom's Grassy Terrain lowers the damage of Earthquake. High Horsepower hits Heatran on the switch, 2HKO's certain Toxapex sets, and threatens other steel types such as Magearna and Excadrill. Ice punch OHKO's Garchomp on the switch, 2HKO's Lando-T, and deals the most amount of damage to Zapdos on this set. Finally, Protect is great for scouting moves and regaining leftovers recovery. Melmetal can also function as a decent switch-in vs Fairy and Psychic types due to it's bulk, such as against Magearna and Tapu Lele, although they both have fighting coverage.

Unknown.jpeg

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 164 HP / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Roost

Hydreigon serves as an effective defogger and Spectrier/Heatran check for the team. Defog gets rid of spikes and rocks for the team. Dark Pulse hits many Pokemon neutrally, and surprisingly hard. It also has the added benefit of KOing Spectrier, which if unchecked could roll over the entire team. Earth Power gives it an option to hit Heatran hard, and punish others weak to ground such as Nidoking and Melmetal. Roost gives it added health, which is useful for repeatedly checking the Pokemon it needs to check. A good wall which is capable of also dealing good damage and taking hits too.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

The Pax, in all his grim glory. Alone he can outstall several other possible threats, and few moves are capable of OHKOing. Scald can fish for burns, as well as dealing decent damage to weak targets such as Excadrill and Lando-T. Toxic Spikes spread status, wearing down the opposing team and giving Spectrier an easier time sweeping. Recover keeps its HP up, and Haze destroys stat boosts from other possible sweepers. Not much to say about the Pex's role, its a hard wall to many a sweeper's dream of 6-0ing my team. It is ridiculously hard to break through.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Completing the ClefPex core is, of course, Clefable. Moonblast hits Dark and Dragon types hard, allowing Clef to check Dragapult, Hydreigon, Garchomp, and Mandibuzz decently well. Soft-Boiled allows it keep its hp high, and can be used when forcing a switch. Stealth Rock helps wear down switch ins from opposing Pokemon. Finally, Thunder Wave also spreads status and can slow down faster sweepers.

In general I feel this is a good team, but it runs into the problems of being hard checked by Moltres, Zapdos, Ferrothorn, and Volcarona. All are incredibly hard to deal with in this team, so any advice on switching Pokemon or moves is much appreciated!

Hi =)
As I mind, boom clef and hydr are mons you can work on, here some ideas :
_Melmetal Ice Punch → Toxic + have a mon that check chomp better
_clef → bulky defog koko (and change hydr)
_if another defog, tyranitar or obstagoon can help against birds, instead of hydr
_boom and hydr → tyranitar and excadrill spin
_clef t-wave → Aromatherapy → Rest on Melmetal (possible add Lum or Chesto berry)
_clef t-wave → healing wish =a second use for spectrier or band boom or melmet (after weaken theres counters) clef isn't a cleaner so

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)