XY RU Specs Heliolisk

This is my first RMT ever so I decided to use one of the teams that I've had the most success with. I decided to build this team around a Specs Heliolisk and then added Defensive Gligar, SpD Bronzong, Wish-pass Aromatisse, AV Druddigon and Scarfed Emboar.

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Dark Pulse

Heliolisk was the first pokemon I added to this team as I had seen it in numerous YouTube videos and saw the coverage that it got. Thunderbolt is a strong, reliable stab, Volt Switch is for momentum, Surf is for Ground types such as Rhyperior and Gligar and Dark Pulse is to hit Cofagrigus super-effectively which can be a counter to it. Dry Skin is the obvious ability as it gives an immunity to water types and the EV's are a standard Smogon set. I gave it Specs over Scarf because I thought it lacked slightly in power and I have another scarfer on the team.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

I needed a counter to Ground, Fire and Fighting types which are quite common in the tier. Eviolite gives it a nice SpD boost however I decided to make it defensive to make the most of its defense stat. Roost is standard on every Gligar, Earthquake is a strong stab that hits most of Heliolisk's weaknesses. U-turn makes a nice VoltTurn core with Heliolisk and Defog is to get rid of hazards that hurt my switching. Because of Defog, I couldn't run Immunity so I ran Hyper Cutter to stop Intimidaters like Hitmontop.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Psychic

I needed Bronzong in my team as I needed an Ice resist for Gligar so I made it specially defensive. I also needed a Stealth Rocker. Gyro Ball is a a solid stab as with a Sassy nature, Bronzong's speed hits a fantastic 63 points. Toxic is to put walls such as Alomomola on a timer and Zen Headbutt is to hit types that resist Gyro Ball and acts as a second stab.

Druddigon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

I needed a general resist to Fire, Water and Grass types which is obviously covered by Dragon types. Druddigon is probably one of the best defensive Dragon types in probably UU/RU/NU. I gave it AV as it gives Drudd better special bulk which is why I gave it Rough Skin which hurts Physical attackers. Dragon Claw is its main stab, Sucker is for priority, Fire Punch is run over Eq as it hits Abomasnow 4x super-effectively as well as other Ice types. Lastly, Gunk shot is run to hit Fairy types like Aromatisse.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

In order to keep Bronzong and Druddigon healthy as neither have very good recovery, I decided to run Wish-pass Aromatisse as it can pass big wishes and can carry on momentum. Aromatherapy is also useful as it can heal burns of my physical attackers and toxic off its-self and Gligar. Aroma Veil is its only useful ability and the EV's are run to maximise Leftovers and to minimise damage from resisted hits such as the Hitmon's and Sharpedo.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge

Lastly, I needed a scarfer and a steel resist. Filling both of those roles, Emboar's scarf allows it to outspeed neutral natured base-108's like Cobalion and Virizion. Flare Blitz is a strong stab and can be recovered by Aromatisse wish-passing. Superpower is its most useful Fight stab but can leave Emboar open to set-up when switching-out. Stone Edge allows him to hit Moltres and Fletchinder 4x super-effectively, especially if I predict a switch and Wild Charge does good damage to bulky water types such as Slowking and Jellicent.

Thanks for reading! If you have any useful feedback please feel free to reply to the post, whether it be for the team or just the forums in general.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey TheJayKay, this is actually a pretty cool balanced team you have tbh, and looks overall pretty solid, but I think there are a couple set and EV changes that could make your team more effective in general.

First things first I'm the realest both Bronzong and Aromatisse are missing EVs which can be fixed quite easily by changing Bronzong's spread to EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD, and changing Aromatisse's spread to EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe. The Speed on Aromatisse gives it the jump on uninvested base 30s like Slowking, Amoonguss and Mega-Abomasnow, which can be quite useful for getting off a last second Wish / Heal Bell before going down, or finishing off weakened versions of Slowking and Mega Abomasnow.

Set Changes that I think could help out your team:

I personally am not really a fan of Specs Heliolisk, as I find Life Orb to be much harder to switch into given its high base speed and good coverage. I am also not sure I agree with the moves you have chosen, as Specs Surf doesn't guarantee the OHKO on standard Rhyperior, and it never can OHKO standard Gligar. As such I think that you should change Surf to Grass Knot (LO Grass Knot always KOes Rhyperior barring weird stuff like Rindo Berry), and LO HP Ice has an 87.5% chance to OHKO 248/8 eviolite Gligar, allowing Heliolisk to beat these two, which not only prevents Rhyperior's Hazards if you get Heliolisk in at the right time, but it can stop opposing Gligar from Defogging away your Stealth Rocks. Dark Pulse Really only hits Doublade and I guess Psychic-types, but most Psychic-types are winning 1v1 regardless and Doublade takes ~ 70% from LO Volt Switch, so Volt Switching to Gligar still beats it.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You should run a faster Druddigon, as you are capable of donking Tangrowth, with Gunk Shot. 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe lets you outspeed both min speed Tangrowth and other Pokemon that aim for that same bench mark.

Earthquake > Psychic (Zen Headbutt? the set and description say different things) this allows Bronzong to beat Cobalion 1v1 while preventing Drapion and Skuntank from getting free chances to set up T-Spikes and Defog respectively.

I really don't see Stone Edge as being a worthwhile move on Scarf Emboar, as Fletchinder and Moltres are both taken out by Wild Charge on the switch already (and you shouldn't stay in against either regardless), I also am not sure if Emboar really accomplishes much for this team, as it doesn't really cover the things you are weak to, such as Calm Mind Psychic types, I see you want something with good offensive pressure, but I think I can solve both.

Spiritomb (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pursuit

This not only gives you good offensive presence with STAB Sucker Punch picking off worn down threats (something your team does very well), but it also can deal with Sub CM Cresselia, Sub CM Meloetta, and CM Reuniclus who don't have much trouble dealing with your team right now.

If you do decide to stick with Emboar, I'd go Sleep Talk > Stone Edge, its nice to have something that can switch into Amoonguss's Spore with no problem.

I hope I helped, good luck with the team.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the reason it said different things on Bronzong was because I changed it part way through to Zen Headbutt>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)