Pokémon Spectrier

897.png

SPECTRIER

GHOST

BASE STATS: 100 HP / 65 ATK / 60 DEF / 145 SPA / 80 SPD / 130 SPE

ABILITY: Grim Neigh-When this Pokemon Koes the foe it gains a Special attack boost.

LEVEL UP MOVES (LEVEL-MOVE):
1-Tackle, 1-Tail Whip, 6-Double Kick, 12-Hex, 18-Stomp, 24-Confuse Ray, 30-Haze, 36-Shadow Ball, 42-Take Down, 48-Agility, 54-Thrash, 60-Disable, 66-Double-Edge, 72-Nasty Plot

TM MOVES:
TM08-Hyper Beam, TM09-Giga Impact, TM21-Rest, TM24-Snore, TM25-Protect, TM26-Scary Face, TM38-Will-O-Wisp, TM39-Facade, TM40-Swift, TM53-Mud Shot, TM57-Payback, TM58-Assurance, TM69-Psycho Cut, TM76-Round, TM77-Hex, TM81-Bulldoze, TM85-Snarl, TM86-Phantom Force, TM98-Stomping Tantrum

TR MOVES:
TR01-Body Slam, TR12-Agility, TR20-Substitute , TR26-Endure, TR27-Sleep Talk , TR32-Crunch, TR33-Shadow Ball, TR35-Uproar, TR37-Taunt , TR49-Calm Mind, TR58-Dark Pulse, TR68-Nasty Plot, TR81-Foul Play

MOVE TUTORS:
Lash Out

COMPETITIVE MOVES:
Shadow Ball
Nasty Plot
Substitute
Calm Mind
Will-O-Wisp
Disable
Taunt
Hex
Confuse Ray
Agility
Mud Shot

Spectrier is a very fast and strong ghost type that can quickly steamroll a team with the right support. It may have a very shallow movepool, very limited coverage and on the frail side, but it more than makes up for that with it's positive attributes. It is among the fastest and the most powerful pokemon in OU. With a Nasty Plot boost there are very few pokemon that can take a hit and once it's ability activates it can very quickly snowball into a win. Ghost is good overall coverage but there are many prominent pokemon that it struggles to touch like Tyrannitar, Urshifu, Mandibuzz, Moltres-G and Blissey/Chansey. Being crippled with Will-O-Wisp is very real possibility for many of Spectriers switchins such as Bisharp. There are also a few pokemon that naturally outspeed it like Dragapult and Zeraora along with most Choice Scarfers.

POSITIVES
-Among the fastest pokemon in the game, base 130 speed
-Exceptionally strong special attack, higher than Aegislashes
-Good typing, blocks rapid spin, also has access to Taunt to block defog
-Pretty good neutral coverage with STAB Shadow Ball

NEGATIVES:
-Shallow movepool/hardly any coverage
-Frail on physical side
-Has very little to deal with dark types

MOVESET #1

Spectrier @ Leftovers or Spell Tag
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 4 DEF / 252 SPA / 252 SPE
Timid Nature
-Hex/Shadow Ball
-Will-O-Wisp
-Substitute/Taunt
-Nasty Plot

With this set, Spectier is very difficult to switch into. Many potential checks are either maimed or crippled. Nasty plot turns Shadow Ball into a wrecking ball OHKOing much of OU. Dragapult is one of the few pokemon that can bypass the sub and KO it directly, but physical sets beware. The absence of Pursuit in this generation means it can spread burns or set up multiple times and in the endgame can quickly make quick work of the opponent's team.

MOVESET #2

Spectrier @ Salac Berry
Modest Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Substitute
-Nasty Plot
-Disable

This is a one shot deal, but it once it is set up it can easily steamroll your opponent whole team. With +2 Special attack and +1 Speed it outspeeds the whole metagame and completely wrecks anything that doesn't resist Shadow Ball. The main obstacle is priority users like Scizor, so having a partner like Magnezone can really make a big difference. This set really appreciates team support and entry hazards to maximize it's potential. With Sub+Disable it can easily set on Choice Users and proceed to sweep the opponent's team.

MOVESET #3

Spectrier @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Hex
-Will-O-Wisp
-Mud Shot

Very straightforward set just spam Shadow Ball til the year 3000. You can also burn many of your switchins and then wreck them with Hex. Mud Shot is literally the only coverage move worth using as it can catch faster switchins and obliterate Heatran. Hyper Beam is also a viable option on the specs set as a last resort against dark types not named Tyrannitar.

MOVESET #4

Spectrier @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Agility
-Shadow Ball
-Mud Shot/Taunt

Spectriers double dance set. Depending on what kind of team you are facing you can proceed to wreak havoc. With a +2 boost in speed pretty much nothing outspeeds you (even outspeeds scarf Dragapult) or if you don't need the speed then you can go for the NP and start snowballing that way.

OTHER OPTIONS:
Another possible set is a Stall breaker set with Taunt/Substitute/Shadow Ball/Calm Mind+Leftovers+252 HP / 4 DEF / 252 SPE that can protect your entry hazards against most pokemon and be a huge pain for stall teams. Other than that, Spectrier doesn't really have any other options. Shadow Ball and Hex are really the only damaging moves worth using for the most part. Fringe options include Mudshot which can do more damage to Tyrannitar and Heatran and allows it to outspeed Zeraora, Regieleki and most choice scarfers.

Last edited:
Modest Choice Scarf is a really good cleaner probably its best set. It it too frail for setup or utility and the counters don't really change no matter what set you give it.
After more playing I do agree it has some viability, but not it's best set. It may be on the frail side on the physical side of things, but it does have 100/80 special bulk and can set easily up on many of the weaker pokemon

i feel like you really need to have dark pulse on np sets in order to get the best of it, blissey cant touch you at all behind a sub and you die either ways to mandibuzz/ttar

i agree that scarf is the best set as of now as a cleaner. i just wish it got any form of realiable coverage, idk even something like signal beam wouldve been fine. also i dont find it to be a good stallbreaker since it literally cannot damage dark types realibly outside of toxic

ima have to run the calcs, but i think hyper beam on choiced sets (specially specs) sounds interesting

i feel like you really need to have dark pulse on np sets in order to get the best of it, blissey cant touch you at all behind a sub and you die either ways to mandibuzz/ttar

i agree that scarf is the best set as of now as a cleaner. i just wish it got any form of realiable coverage, idk even something like signal beam wouldve been fine. also i dont find it to be a good stallbreaker since it literally cannot damage dark types realibly outside of toxic

ima have to run the calcs, but i think hyper beam on choiced sets (specially specs) sounds interesting
No I think Dark Pulse is close to useless. Shadow Ball literally hits everything in OU much harder, with the exception of Chansey/Blissey and Kommono-o It doesn't need it to beat them either, I think Taunt would be better a option. You could drop Substitute on the stall breaker set and replace it with disable or Will-O-Wisp. I think the only coverage move worth using is Mud Shot and even that is debatable. Additionally it doesn't even get Toxic. It can do some significant damage to some dark types, but in most cases it's better to cripple them with a burn and switch out. Hyper Beam is actually a viable on a choiced set but comes with a big drawback.

Last edited:
No I think Dark Pulse is close to useless. Shadow Ball literally hits everything in OU much harder, with the exception of Chansey/Blissey and Kommono-o It doesn't need it to beat them either, I think Taunt would be better a option. You could drop Substitute on the stall breaker set and replace it with disable or Will-O-Wisp. I think the only coverage move worth using is Mud Shot and even that is debatable. Additionally it doesn't even get Toxic. It can do some significant damage to some dark types, but in most cases it's better to cripple them with a burn and switch out. Hyper Beam is actually a viable on a choiced set but comes with a big drawback.
Dark pulse may be considered for indeedee, which otherwise is a free switch in for spamming expanding force

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)