Speculation: Formes and Mega-Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
My theory: Formes and Megas are mutually exclusive (formes that only change the appearance might be an exception)

The reason and support: Okay so in Gen II we were introduced to pokemon that can change formes (Deoxys for starters), which were then expanded in the newer generations (Cherrim, the Floette line, Keldio and Meloetta, Darmanitan and such) However looking that the following list of pokemon that can use mega evolution:

• Gen 1
    • Charizard
    • Venusaur
    • Blastoise
    • Pidgiot
    • Beedrill
    • Alakazam
    • Gengar
    • Kangaskahn
    • Slowbro
    • Pinsir
    • Gyarados
    • Aerodactyl
    • Mewtwo
  • Gen II
    • Ampheros
    • Houndoom
    • Heracross
    • Siczor
    • Tyranitar
    • Steelix
  • Gen III
    • Sectile
    • Blaziken
    • Swampert
    • Gardivoir
    • Glalie
    • Mawile
    • Sableye
    • Absol
    • Altaria
    • Sharpedo
    • Camerupt
    • Aggron
    • Medicham
    • Manecetric
    • Banette
    • Tyranitar
    • Metagross
    • Latias
    • Latios
    • Raquayza
    • Groudon (in a varient)
    • Kyogre (in a varient)
  • Gen IV
    • Gallade
    • Lucario
    • Abomasnow
    • Lopunny
    • Garchomp
  • Gen V
    • Audino
  • Gen VI
    • Diancie

...With the list of pokemon with different formes (That is way too long for me to copy if we add the Gender differnces)...

• Gen I
    • Pikachu (In OR/AS only, Different moves)
  • Gen II
    • Pichu (Event, Cosmetic)
    • Unown
  • Gen III
    • Castform (Different Types and moves)
    • Deoxys (Different stats)
  • Gen IV
    • Burmey and Wormadan (Different moves)
    • Cherrim (Different stats, thought only because of its ability)
    • Shellos (Cosmetic)
    • Rotom (Different type and moves)
    • Giratina (Different stats)
    • Shaymin (Different stats, type and moves)
  • Gen V
    • Basculin (Cosmetic)
    • Darmanitan (Different stats)
    • Deerling and Sawsbuck (Cosmetic)
    • Tornadus, Thunderus and Landorus (Different stats)
    • Kyurem (Different stats, type and moves)
    • Meloetta (Different stats)
    • Keldio (Cosmetic)
  • Gen VI
    • Vivillon (Cosmetic, Event)
    • Flabébé, Floette and Flogrus (Cosmetic, Event)
We can see that the pokemon with form differences aren't on the list of pokemon with Megas and vise versa

The reasons might range from the formes that are not Cosmetic changing the stats and type of the pokemon making mega-evolution redundant in that regard (though the pokemon all have the same BST regardless of forme) to being difficult to program to general redundancy (especialy since some of these need an item to change formes like Shaymin. And both Meloetta and Raquaza need moves to trigger their transformations) to te possibility of the move being lost if the pokemon mega-evolves (Kyurem and Rotom have moves that can only be learned in a forme, the Cosplay Pikachu also has this but they are all moves Pikachu can't normally learn anyway and Megas are typicality reserved for final stage pokemon so Pikachu is a moot point)

The only case where I cna see pokemon with both formes and megas are for Pokemon whose's forme chnages are purely cosmetic (Fabébé, Vivillon, and Sawsbuck are examples), but those that change stats, learnset or types seem to be out of the question.

What are your opinions on this theory

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I'm not entirely sure what your theory is...

If you like you can PM me with a more cohesive discussion point, because at the moment this honestly does not make a lot of sense. It seems like an interesting topic, but please expand it a little more so people can understand what you are getting at.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^The theory itself is understandable enough, if you only read the first line of the post.

Basically, a Pokémon with a Mega Evolution does never get an alternate form(e) changing anything but the costmetics.
Conversely, a Pokémon with non-cosmetic Formes will never get a Mega Evolution.

As thorougly documented in the OP, this holds true for all currently known Pokémon. It might even hold true for future generations as well, but conceptually, there's nothing preventing GameFreak from breaking the conventions. However, any discussion about what GameFreak might or might not do in the future is verging extremely close to the edge of "baseless speculation", which would be against the OI rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)